Main Menu

Vox little night train

Started by bass sic, August 01, 2012, 08:58:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bass sic

So someone talk me out of getting the little night train next week. At only 2 watts it's pretty much all I need for my little bedroom setup. Unless there's something better. I also found one called little monster on fleabay, again 2 watts. Anybody?

clockwork green

I have the 15-watt and the "thick" channel is really good sounding.  The clean channel is bright and thin and I never use that one. 
"there's too many blanks in your analogies"

The Shocker

How much is it on ebay?  I've got one I could let go.

bass sic

Found it for 199. Er, I meant 60 bucks.

bass sic

So what do you think of it deaner? Good tone?

jibberish

i wonder if dunwich could whoop out little 2-tube like 12ax/ecc99 amps for dirt cheap(but still be worth it to him of course), like maybe with no tone stack and mounted on a pound cake pan for speed and cheap labor.   if he hit the right price point and got his build logistics really dialled in...who knows

dunwichamps

still wouldnt be cheaper than a commercial amp unfortunately.

The Shocker

Quote from: bass sic on August 01, 2012, 11:33:46 PM
So what do you think of it deaner? Good tone?

Sounds good, but as some of you know I am a serial gear buyer/seller.  If you are not worried about having really clean cleans it is awesome.  Great tube distortion at bedroom levels.  If you are interested shoot me a pm and we can work something out.   

FullCustom

If you mod it for an ECC99 you can get 5 Watts out of the little night train

dunwichamps

yea that is possible to run the 2 triode sections in parallel and get 5W out of it. It would need some heavy modding tho

FullCustom

Quote from: dunwichamps on August 02, 2012, 10:47:52 AM
yea that is possible to run the 2 triode sections in parallel and get 5W out of it. It would need some heavy modding tho
What? It has a 12AT7 for a power tube, that's why it's only two watts. The Little Night Train has enough iron to do five, just not enough drive. You just need to bias for the ECC99 and BAM! 5 Watts O'power. The top cage still fits on too. Anyone who wants an ECC99 for their Night Train, buy it from me and I'll send you the right cathode resistor free.

johnny problem

I would recommend Vox's AC4TV.  It has 4 watts, but you can dial it down to 1 or 1/4 watts.  It has a nice natural crunch and the cleans on it are pretty nice.

http://www.voxamps.com/us/ac4/ac4tv/

bass sic

That would probably work for what I'm after. But Deaner is hooking a bruva up with his little night train.

dunwichamps

Quote from: FullCustom on August 03, 2012, 10:05:50 AM
Quote from: dunwichamps on August 02, 2012, 10:47:52 AM
What? It has a 12AT7 for a power tube, that's why it's only two watts. The Little Night Train has enough iron to do five, just not enough drive. You just need to bias for the ECC99 and BAM! 5 Watts O'power. The top cage still fits on too. Anyone who wants an ECC99 for their Night Train, buy it from me and I'll send you the right cathode resistor free.

i mean the ECC99

Baltar

Head's up bro, this looks like a killer deal. $219.00 Buy it now.  It's in Dayton, OH.

New matched pair of JJ EL84 output tubes.
6CA4/EZ81 Rectifier tube.

14 Watts RMS.
Drives 4, 8 &16 Ohms speaker cabinets.
Speaker jack adapter cord included - plug & play - ready for action.

Grounded power cord.

Conversion done by an experienced professional tube amp technician.

Excellent condition.

Sounds stunning - great growl!

Compares favorably with elite, high-end, boutique amps like Dr. Z & Matchless!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Heathkit-14W-EL84-HiFi-Tube-Amp-Head-Conversion-/320941485809?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ab99a6ef1#ht_500wt_1203
Friends don't let friends play solid state amplifiers.

bbottom

I played one of those 5 watt Marshall combo amps today with an SG. The thing sounded pretty good and it had a headphone jack and an extension cab out.

Baltar

Those all killer too. My buddy ran his thru a '78 4x12 cab w/ no problems.
Friends don't let friends play solid state amplifiers.

xander face

I went for the Class 5 because it handled pedals better than the Night Trains... but that 15w Night Train has an excellent natural overdrive.

VOLVO)))

For some reason, the Class 5 felt so lifeless to me, cranked up..
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

hayseed

I just sold my Class 5 about 2 weeks ago. It was a cool little amp and sounded great through a 412 cab, but on its own I felt that it really lacked depth. I also thought that it was a bit muddy sounding for my tastes. Set the EQs at 12:00 however and it was a killer rock and roll tone. Unfortunately I played an Egnator Tweeker 15 and Rebel 20 recently and and just drooled over how great the tone was! So needless to say the Class 5 lost out and I currently looking for a Rebel 20 and 112 cab. I have actually thought of parting with my Marshall full stack and downsizing to the Egnator Rebel. much more portable , takes up less room, and better sounding.
"We just want to make the walls cave in and the ceiling collapse. Music is meant to be played as loudly as possible, really raw and punchy, and I'll punch out anyone who doesn't like it the way I do." - BON SCOTT, AC/DC

The Shocker

You don't want my Tweaker no more?  :'(

hayseed

I'd love to get it but I still need to sell some more gear to swing it. I actually doubted that you still had it after all the time that passed from when we talked about it! Dont hold your breath for me to buy it....times are very tough 'round here!
"We just want to make the walls cave in and the ceiling collapse. Music is meant to be played as loudly as possible, really raw and punchy, and I'll punch out anyone who doesn't like it the way I do." - BON SCOTT, AC/DC

The Shocker

I got one or 2 things to sell first before it comes up.

bass sic

Just an update, after playing both the night train and the tweaker for a few days the tweaker wins hands down. I'm getting some killer tone out of this thing even at very low volume. 15 watts so there's plenty of room if I want to jam with a drummer at home. Just nothing crazy. The little night train has some good stuff about it, but lost bad to the tweaker.