Main Menu

BBQ!

Started by Sally, August 03, 2012, 08:56:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sally

My neighbors usually do the cooking, but I just bought my first very own BBQ..
Making chicken this weekend....any suggestions or pointers?

I,Galactus

Quote from: Sally on August 03, 2012, 08:56:53 AM....any suggestions or pointers?

Don't call it BBQ unless you're smoking it?   :P

Sorry for snark, but I'm assuming you have purchased a charcoal or gas broiler aka "grill."  While it is possible to prepare BBQ on one of these, you'll more than likely be grilling.  BBQ is "slow and low" cooking, i.e. smoking with wood chips and such as this.
"Why don't you take a flying fuck at a rolling doughnut? Why don't you take a flying fuck at the mooooooooooooon?"

I,Galactus

Alright internet = serious business, thus it's serious post time.

A digital thermometer like this one is a great tool to have, for any outdoor food preparation.  That way you can know your grill temp and test meat quickly and easily for doneness without any guesswork.

Re: chicken... what's your plan of action?  Whole roast, pieces, just breasts and/or thighs?

I've used this recipe with great success.  It's also got lots of useful general chicken/grilling info in there.

If you feel like doing asada style stuff here's my approach:

Quote from: I,Galactus on May 06, 2012, 07:54:20 PM
Marinate overnight:

6 chicken tits
2 Tbs olive oil
2 Tbs lemon and/or lime juice
1 tsp chili powder
dash o' salt and pepper

Grill.  Shred/dice.  Tacos!

Hope that helps!  :)
"Why don't you take a flying fuck at a rolling doughnut? Why don't you take a flying fuck at the mooooooooooooon?"

GodShifter

Yeah, for a successful grilling outing, make sure you marinate your chicken. Even something as simple as Italian dressing over night can make the chicken tender and delicious.

(I,Galactus' recipe sounds much better, though)

peoplething

reinforcing the overnight marinade.

you can get super fancy with dry rubs and small amounts of different kinds of oils, or go with the olive oil and garlic powder.

but for sure marinate your meat.

"Shut the fuck up." - socket, Administrator

Sally

Quote from: I,Galactus on August 03, 2012, 10:22:23 AM
Alright internet = serious business, thus it's serious post time.

A digital thermometer like this one is a great tool to have, for any outdoor food preparation.  That way you can know your grill temp and test meat quickly and easily for doneness without any guesswork.

Re: chicken... what's your plan of action?  Whole roast, pieces, just breasts and/or thighs?

I've used this recipe with great success.  It's also got lots of useful general chicken/grilling info in there.

If you feel like doing asada style stuff here's my approach:

Quote from: I,Galactus on May 06, 2012, 07:54:20 PM
Marinate overnight:

6 chicken tits
2 Tbs olive oil
2 Tbs lemon and/or lime juice
1 tsp chili powder
dash o' salt and pepper

Grill.  Shred/dice.  Tacos!

Hope that helps!  :)
It's settled! Making this marinade!

I,Galactus

I made a whole mess of that last Cinco de Mayo and it was fantastic.

Hope it works out well for you.  I expect a full report.   8)

Sally

Pics to follow. You all are invited!

peoplething

Can I bring Jor el... ya know, like my date?
"Shut the fuck up." - socket, Administrator

Jor el

What Would Scooby Do ?

Sally

Ya know...he didn't make the list again damn it! Peoplething did make the list.

I,Galactus

***Paging Dr. Sally/Mertz/Gigi***

How'd it go?

Sally

It was good but I needed to put more chilli powder. I forgot to take pics

I,Galactus

No worries on the pics.  Why photograph good food when you could be eating it?  :)

My problem with chili powder ususally isn't the amount, it's the freshness.  Stale old chili powder tastes bunk no matter how much you use IMO.

Sally

I had fresh from the Mexican market

I,Galactus

Well now ya know, spice it up next time!  It seems like lots of cooking lessons have to be learned the hard way.

Sally

Trying to decide what to GRILL next weekend....suggestions?

bitter

Oh Andy I'm gonna go over to mount pilot and worship Satan

Soundgardenia

Marinating ahi tuna steaks in soy sauce and garlic to throw in the grill tomorrow!

I could play Stairway to Heaven when I was twelve... Jimmy Page didn't actually write it until he was twenty-two... I think that says quite a lot..

Sally

Soundgardenia

Tuna steaks getting seared!

I could play Stairway to Heaven when I was twelve... Jimmy Page didn't actually write it until he was twenty-two... I think that says quite a lot..

Sally

They were yummy yummy!

Sally

Ok...I'm running out of things to grill...suggestions please....I've done chicken, carne asada, burgers, hot dogs, Italian sausage, fish...

bitter

Quote from: Sally on August 30, 2012, 12:58:44 AM
Ok...I'm running out of things to grill...suggestions please....I've done chicken, carne asada, burgers, hot dogs, Italian sausage, fish...

Pineapple!

http://primalgrill.org/recipe_details.asp?RecipeID=165&EpisodeID=39

^ Some fun recipes on that show/website.
Oh Andy I'm gonna go over to mount pilot and worship Satan

mertzy

Ok! It's that time of year again....pool party/BBQ at chez mertzy. Just making burgers, brats, cole slaw, and a corn black bean salad thing. Keeping it simple. Damn I love summer.