Main Menu

some recording equipment

Started by ROWDYBEER, December 07, 2010, 07:28:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ROWDYBEER

So I bought some property over the summer and there is a badass empty building built in the 30's - 400+ sq. ft. Its going to be the new jam spot for my band. I'm wanting to put a computer in there and I am looking for some recording equipment suggestions.

We currently use a Tascam dp004 digital recorder that has built in condenser mics. We use it to record practices as thats were we write all our songs mostly. It works great but is a pain in the ass to get onto the computer. Its a process converting and mastering and all the bullshit.

I want something that has simple software, can record pretty decent tracks (just for us), records directly onto the computer. etc. etc.

Maybe something that has a decent condenser mic or what do you use for mics?

Don't want to spend a million dollars just want to be able to capture practices and easily distribute the material to the band members and also track over recorded material easily for solos, more riffs, etc.

Maybe something that works well with audacity since that's what is currently used.

Not looking for high quality just ease of use. I guess it would be cool if we could track each instrument but not necessary. I need some ideas.

Thanks

ROWDYBEER

I was just checking out bluemic.com. They make usb recording mics. Anyone ever use one of these?

black_out

Quote from: ROWDYBEER on December 07, 2010, 08:07:45 PM
I was just checking out bluemic.com. They make usb recording mics. Anyone ever use one of these?

We use the Blue Snowball USB mic and it's pretty awesome. Good sound quality and it you can use it with Audacity. You just need to take the time to experiment with room placement.
By my side I keep my things that I ne-uh-ed! Rest in peace is gonna set me free!

db3jed

I haven't used their USB mics but I use their Blue Ball and Kick Ball (rarely for their intended purposes) on fairly regular basis.
If those are any indication of their general quality level then the USB stuff might be worth looking into.
I've heard some good stuff about the Yeti.

ROWDYBEER

Man the snowball is $100 and I see they are going for $50-$75 used on the bay. Fuckina that sounds like a perfect fit. Seems almost to easy and perfect.

RAGER

You can get a used Zoom H2 or H4 for like 100 bucks right now.  Good little field recorders.
No Focus Pocus

black_out

Quote from: RAGER on December 08, 2010, 11:55:55 AM
You can get a used Zoom H2 or H4 for like 100 bucks right now.  Good little field recorders.

I've used the H2 and the sound quality isn't half as good as the Snowball. It has a built in hard drive though, so if you don't have access to a computer at your practice space it's not a bad choice.
By my side I keep my things that I ne-uh-ed! Rest in peace is gonna set me free!

liquidsmoke

Old thread I know. I'm looking to get a little USB equipped field recorder type thing for practices. Anyone know easy is it to dump tracks into a computer with these? I have an iMac with Garage Band and iTunes. Hoping to get something used on ebay for cheap, older is fine as long as it can hold at least 90 minutes or so. My computer is not in the practice space.

Hemisaurus

I have a little USB MP3 player / recorder, it was around $20, has 1GB of storage (several hours) and just plugs into the USB slot of my computer, no extra cord required. I've recorded band practices going back the last few years with it, I just stick it in my pocket on the way out the door, set it running at the start of practice, and leave it on a shelf or the top of a cab somewhere (acually usually on the bar in our regular spot).

The downside is it does use AAA batteries at the rate of one every 7-8 hours.

liquidsmoke

Quote from: Hemisaurus on May 23, 2011, 08:36:27 AM
I have a little USB MP3 player / recorder, it was around $20, has 1GB of storage (several hours) and just plugs into the USB slot of my computer, no extra cord required. I've recorded band practices going back the last few years with it, I just stick it in my pocket on the way out the door, set it running at the start of practice, and leave it on a shelf or the top of a cab somewhere (acually usually on the bar in our regular spot).

The downside is it does use AAA batteries at the rate of one every 7-8 hours.

The price is right! How is the sound quality? Have you tried dumping the sound onto your computer? Is it easy? What model do you have?

Hemisaurus

The sound quality is fine, you can hear everything there's no buzzing or hissing or digital artifacts. It was too cheap to have a model number, or a manufacturer, they're probably all similarly made.

To get the files, you just plug it into your PC or Mac, it shows up like a USB drive, you can copy files from it, or edit them on the player, they're just MP3's so you can open them up in Audacity.

Looks kind of like that except mine has a little rocker instead of buttons, buttons would be better. You could probably find something like it at Wal-Mart or Best Buy or online at http://www.dealextreme.com/

inductorguitars

You could always get a bunch of mics and a mixer to record into the computer that way too. Just saying.

liquidsmoke

Quote from: Hemisaurus on May 23, 2011, 03:59:25 PM
The sound quality is fine, you can hear everything there's no buzzing or hissing or digital artifacts. It was too cheap to have a model number, or a manufacturer, they're probably all similarly made.

To get the files, you just plug it into your PC or Mac, it shows up like a USB drive, you can copy files from it, or edit them on the player, they're just MP3's so you can open them up in Audacity.

Looks kind of like that except mine has a little rocker instead of buttons, buttons would be better. You could probably find something like it at Wal-Mart or Best Buy or online at http://www.dealextreme.com/

Ah. So the type of thing that is marketed as a "voice recorder" and is way cheaper than anything music stores sell? I like it.

liquidsmoke

Quote from: inductorguitars on May 23, 2011, 09:54:00 PM
You could always get a bunch of mics and a mixer to record into the computer that way too. Just saying.

For a demo, yes but I'm talking about a little thing to record practice with. You put it in the sweet spot to catch everything.

VOLVO)))

Typically I try to put it in the sweet spot, but it usually only ends up costing me money, or I get hit. bitches.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

liquidsmoke

Quote from: SunnO))) on May 24, 2011, 01:18:44 AM
Typically I try to put it in the sweet spot, but it usually only ends up costing me money, or I get hit. bitches.

That's where the poop comes out, dude.

inductorguitars

Quote from: liquidsmoke on May 24, 2011, 12:03:04 AM
Quote from: inductorguitars on May 23, 2011, 09:54:00 PM

For a demo, yes but I'm talking about a little thing to record practice with. You put it in the sweet spot to catch everything.

I wasn't sure where you were going, it seems to me a waste to buy a piece of equipment that has no other purpose than to record a practice.

In that case get a stereo mic to record into the computer.

And put it in the sweet sweet spot, not the shitty spot.

Hemisaurus

Erik, where are you practicing? There's no PC in a lot of peoples practice space. It's easier carrying a recording USB stick in your pocket. $20 to record practices is a great deal, if it means you remember that great idea that someone came up with, it's saved my ass countless times. It lets you hear the idea someone else came up with, and work your part out before next practice, you can post the MP3 somewhere and you can all hear what was going on.

Sorry, I just don't get how you can't get it  ;)

Talking of boards and computer interfaces, did you ever get your Neotek?

inductorguitars

Quote from: ROWDYBEER on December 07, 2010, 07:28:36 PM
records directly onto the computer. etc. etc.

I just realised that this is an old post. And I was thinking of this quote when I responded.

I find it a pain in the ass to download into the computer.

I go right into protools.  ::) (But that's me)

No the Neotek was sold before I asked about it. I think they let it go for cheap.

zachoff

I'm trading my Bass Blowtorch for this:
http://denver.craigslist.org/msg/2398361972.html

Thinking we'll have a little something for tracking for now.

liquidsmoke

Quote from: inductorguitars on May 24, 2011, 11:10:37 AM
I wasn't sure where you were going, it seems to me a waste to buy a piece of equipment that has no other purpose than to record a practice.

For $30? No way, that's a steal! I like to listen to what we do and see what needs improvement. I also want to play stuff for friends. We are going to do a demo, probably with my computer when we are ready of course, we just aren't ready yet.

inductorguitars

Quote from: Hemisaurus on May 24, 2011, 12:05:47 PM
Any interest in a 14 channel board?

http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/msg/2393763069.html

Nice board probably one of the last one made IIRC.  If I had the cash... (and a huge truck)

liquidsmoke

I ended up getting a Tascam DR-03(for pretty cheap) to record band practices with. It eats AAA batteries really fast and even with the input volume on 0 it clips. Arg. So it was a waste of money and I will be selling it on ebay soon.

I need one that can recharge like a cell phone or plug in to an outlet and can handle live volume levels and doesn't cost that much. Anyone? I'm not lugging my computer downstairs just to record practices either.

Hemisaurus

I had a similar problem with mine, wrapping it in a beer towel, wipe cloth, or an old sock seemed to help. Didn't seem to muffle the damn cymbals any either.

If you have a mic input, which checking Tascam's website you seem to, you can put an external mic on it, Freightshakin' Bob mounted a PZM on the ceiling of our practice space for this. Also according to Tascam, yours can run of USB bus power, which means any of those little USB chargers for cell phones and stuff would do, long as the USB connector is the same, check for mini or micro, my cheap shit $15 Tracfone came with one.

DR-03 SPECIFICATIONS

Stereo omni condenser microphone design
    Up to 48kHz/24-bit WAV recording or MP3 recording modes
    Records to microSD media
    Auto-recording function starts when input exceeds a reference level
    Limiter, low cut filter and auto gain control for input
    Variable Speed Audition changes the playback speed without changing the pitch
    Loop playback mode
    USB 2.0 connection for file transfer
    1/8" stereo microphone/line input
    1/8" stereo headphone output
    96x96 backlit LCD display