Special Collectors Editions of video games

Started by gritty_fingers, September 20, 2012, 11:41:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gritty_fingers

I find the Special Collectors editions of video games to be a strange phenomenon. Do people really like plastic figurines of video game characters?

I have to admit I bought the Doom 3 collectors edition for the old Xbox because it was 5 buck more and it included Doom 1 and Doom 2. That seemed like a good deal. But the rest of the stuff I see on Amazon doesn't really interest me.
"Ginger People"

I,Galactus

Quote from: gritty_fingers on September 20, 2012, 11:41:40 PM
Do people really like plastic figurines of video game characters?

They're not dolls, mom, they're action figuresJeez!

Seriously tho, I'm only into special editions if they're special (extra games, content, hardware, etc).

I got the same Doom 3 deal back in the day (but for PC), and I recently got the zelda skyward sword deluxe pack that came with the gold motion plus controller and symphonic soundtrack.  Other than that, regular editions are fine with me, hell I prefer "greatest hits" or whatever so I can get 'em on the cheap.
"Why don't you take a flying fuck at a rolling doughnut? Why don't you take a flying fuck at the mooooooooooooon?"

bitter

I bought the $100 elite edition of MW3, but traded a bunch of games in to drop the price to about $60. It came with a lot of collectable stuff, free DLC, and membership to the elite website. Wont do it again though. I never played the game enough to justify it.
Oh Andy I'm gonna go over to mount pilot and worship Satan

socket

Sometimes they seem to release them to get more sales.  Not necessarily the ones that come with figures, but others.  I keep seeing Special Editions of games that come with a bunch of crap I bought a la carte for more money.  The only one I remember buying was Unreal Tournament 3 for PC.  Came with a tin for the game (it looks cool, but who cares?) and an art book that I flipped through on the toilet.  Not worth it.
Don't feed the trolls... and don't be a pussy.