Beans........ppfffft

Started by RAGER, November 08, 2012, 12:49:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RAGER

Don't recall if we had a beans thread or not.  Couldn't find one so..eh.  if we have one I'll try and get em merged.
Few nights ago I did braised cannellini beans with smoked ham shanks.
No Focus Pocus

MadJohnShaft

Aha - when you are making beans they need to be all the way soft and won't get softer once you put them into the food (because it tends to be very acidic... like tomato based stuff).  Mental note.
Some days chickens, some days feathers

RAGER

Basically you don't salt beans until they are tender.  then you can add your ham and salty bits.  Although this is not engraved in stone.  Just for best results.
No Focus Pocus

deleted account

Fart Soup thread stock just went up, now that I have a camera, smart-ass phone, and a slow cooker

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

yeezuz

Quote from: RAGER on November 08, 2012, 03:30:14 PM
Basically you don't salt beans until they are tender.  then you can add your ham and salty bits.  Although this is not engraved in stone.  Just for best results.
i knew the tomato bit, but not this one. i love me some bean soup in the winter.

you guys like sweet beans? like this (anmitsu)?

RAGER

i didn't know what that was.  I had to look it up.  sounds interesting. I'd def eat it.
No Focus Pocus

MadJohnShaft

You can salt beans all you want - brine them in fact. I suggest an experiment - Cooks Illustrated done it.
Some days chickens, some days feathers

rayinreverse

ive always understood you didnt salt beans, or lentils until they were nearly done.
but I do enjoy Cooks Illustrated.

RAGER

cooks illustrated is awesome.  i did mention that it was not engraved in stone.  if you are culinary novice and or the non adventurous type, stick to the former.
No Focus Pocus

Sam Hain

Quote from: xina on November 08, 2012, 03:49:03 PM
i knew the tomato bit, but not this one. i love me some bean soup in the winter.

What is that...looks like ice cream, egg yolks and beans.

MichaelZodiac

Red beans with cheese and mash it. Delicious.
"To fully experience music is to experience the true inner self of a human being" -Pøde Jamick

Nolan

yeezuz

Quote from: Sam Hain on November 08, 2012, 07:01:14 PM

it's a Japanese dessert, made with sweet beans (adzuki beans) and fruit. that's not an egg yolk, i always thought it was chestnut or a ginko nut (the yellow thing) but now i am not sure. will have to ask my mom as google is not helping me out.

if you have Yogurtland in your area, you can make this dessert. they have mochi, beans, jellies and fruits. yum.

Sam Hain

Quote from: xina on November 09, 2012, 09:01:12 AM
Basically you don't salt beans until they are tender.  then you can add your ham and salty bits.  Although this is not engraved in stone.  Just for best results.

it's a Japanese dessert, made with sweet beans (adzuki beans) and fruit. that's not an egg yolk, i always thought it was chestnut or a ginko nut (the yellow thing) but now i am not sure. will have to ask my mom as google is not helping me out.

if you have Yogurtland in your area, you can make this dessert. they have mochi, beans, jellies and fruits. yum.
Oh so the ice cream is ginger ice cream then I bet.

strangelight

i have had a disturbing lack of beans since arriving in honduras. ¡¡dame frijoles!!

mortlock

mertzy

I love BRC burritos...yummmm

Dunedin

Refried beans rock! The wife hates them and never buys them so if were having Mexican I have to make a special trip to the shop to get some.
Lemur Demands Back Scratches!

RAGER

I forget, are you in Scotland?  I have an ex friend who lives in the Midlands and she said it was hard to find refritos there.  Why is she an ex friend you ask?  Because she is a fecking cunt that's why.
No Focus Pocus

yeezuz

Quote from: Sam Hain on November 09, 2012, 09:46:14 AM
Quote from: xina on November 09, 2012, 09:01:12 AM
Basically you don't salt beans until they are tender.  then you can add your ham and salty bits.  Although this is not engraved in stone.  Just for best results.

Oh so the ice cream is ginger ice cream then I bet.
i'd pay good money for that, but it's often green tea ice cream or just vanilla. in other Japanese ice cream news, i had bitter melon ice cream last time i was back.

so yeah, beans.

Chovie D

used ot love red bean ioce cream..ive had the sweetbeans too somewhere. there are chinese donuts filled with that sweetbean stuff.

Ive finally got my LA style red beans and rice down using Dookie Chase's recipe

yeezuz

this is An Pan Man, he is a super hero powered by sweet bean paste filled pastries. he greets you despite the fact that you indulged in Chinese and not Japanese sweet bean desserts. on man, moon cakes. Asians can make some bread.

Chovie D

RAGER

Old thread revival. Some ol' school mofos up in here.

Soaked beans overnight and put in the same pan I did chicharrones in with said chicharrones, arbols, and fresh bay. Baked for a couple hours this morning before work at about 425.

No Focus Pocus