behringer pedals $23.99(some are higher of course) at Musician's friend

Started by jibberish, November 26, 2012, 07:46:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jibberish

liquidsmoke

Quote from: moose23 on November 26, 2012, 02:33:33 PM
The noise gate is shite.

I believe it. They are tricky and have to be set just so to work without fucking up sustain. I'd rather not use one but I hate constant feedback.

Lumpy

The ISP Decimator works well, for noise gates.

I hate Behringer pedals, let me count the ways. Super-bright LEDs are stupid. Hard to open if you use a battery. Plastic everything makes me doubt longevity. I've had a couple and I don't use them.

Why invest in disposable gear?

If Behringer made something that nobody else makes (example: Mooer Pitch Box, a cheap pitch shifter with a tiny footprint) then I might be interested. (The Mooer has settings that even the Boss version doesn't have.)

/flame bait
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

liquidsmoke

I have a Decimator.

I also have a Behr Super Fuzz which is probably fine for home use although if I was going to gig with it I'd want the real(steel) deal. Also have their Sansamp clone which sounds okay although I have no use for it. Glad I didn't spend the extra for the real one.

hayseed

I have had the Behringer pedal tuner (clone of the Boss tuner) on my board for about 5 years now. Its been through every practice and every show I've done in that time. I realize they are plastic and cheap looking but ALL of my Behringer gear gets 2 thumbs up/ 5 stars/ whatever a good rating would be for durability. The Hellbabe Wah however, which sounds awesome when used with a bass but bland with a guitar, did not take the abuse that my giant foot gave it. The pin that held the rocking mechanism together constantly worked its way out. That said, I gave it to a bass player friend of mine who is much smaller than me and he still uses it almost 6 years later.
"We just want to make the walls cave in and the ceiling collapse. Music is meant to be played as loudly as possible, really raw and punchy, and I'll punch out anyone who doesn't like it the way I do." - BON SCOTT, AC/DC

morgantician

I got the Heavy Metal pedal a few months back. I A-B'd it with my actual HM2 - maybe a tiny bit less bottom end, but only something you'd notice switching back and forth between the two. But, despite the sound being good, it wouldn't run correctly right out of the (plastic) box with a battery (plug in power works fine). I kept it as a backup in case the actual Boss shits out and I need the sound in a pinch. After that I'll probably steer clear of Behringer pedals and stick to the slightly not as cheap Boss pedals. The guts might e of similar quality, but at least I don't have to worry about putting my foot through the plastic casing.

RacerX

Livin' The Life.

eddiefive10

I'm not a pedal builder, but if you had the skills, couldn't you rehouse them and get rid of the elcheapo plastic, of course this was always my question with the cheap danelectro pedals I loved the phaser but it couldn't take the abuse

Ombrenuit

To rehouse it you would have to wire up a new switch, no? Other than that it should be easy to rehouse.

Lumpy

If you're going to rehouse, you need to replace the plastic input/output jacks. I think the pots might be directly attached to the board too. At some point, it's not worth it.

Mr. Foxen

There's a few clones of discontinued boss things that make rehousing look appealing. The Slow Gear/Slow Motion.

Lumpy

I don't know how faithful the Slow Gear clone is. I tried the Behringer one, it seemed useless for me, but somebody else might like it.

jibberish

I didn't really want to start a boutique vs walmart war here. my initial thought was that for <$25 you could try some out.  if they suck, it doesn't matter, but you got to try that pedal[well clone of that pedal]

btw, best buy has some musical instruments and they have a behringer 3-pedal for $53.99 deal . no link handy, I moved along it was a boss tuner clone, some overdrive maybe and I lost interest lol... how much cheaper can it go?

Metal and Beer

If my sasquatch ass stepped on a Mehringer pedalbox it'd shatter like a fuckin' walnut shell; at that point how it sounds becomes immaterial...
"Would it kill you fellas to play some Foghat?"

Jake

poop.

themusketking

I mean, if you can get a unique sound without it being a tone-suck in your signal chain. Then it's totally worth it, but the chances of those two things actually happening are slim.  I've found some of those Ibanez tonelock pedals are solid.  The DE-7 Delay and PH-(don't remember) Phaser are pretty awesome for cheap.
Something heady, stupid, and prophetic here.

RacerX

Quote from: Jake on November 28, 2012, 09:16:42 PM
You have a Sasquatch ass?

I've heard of those—some kinda longhaired donkey. Didn't know they had 'em in Arkansas, tho...
Livin' The Life.

moose23

Quote from: themusketking on November 28, 2012, 09:39:59 PM
I mean, if you can get a unique sound without it being a tone-suck in your signal chain. Then it's totally worth it, but the chances of those two things actually happening are slim.  I've found some of those Ibanez tonelock pedals are solid.  The DE-7 Delay and PH-(don't remember) Phaser are pretty awesome for cheap.

Yeah tonelok are decent, Sound tank circuits are great too but need to be modded or rehoused with true bypass as the bypass sucks badly.

Some of the Behringer stuff is fine I just wanted to point out that the noise gate was shite. I had a the Phase90 clone and it just needed to be calibrated (by ear and very easy) and it was decent enough phase. Don't think they'll break too easily either, I'd actually wager you'd break a switch on an aluminium pedal before breaking the case on MXR clone type ABM cases.