Started by Lumpy, February 04, 2011, 04:29:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VOLVO)))

"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

clockwork green

Quote from: the diddler on July 27, 2011, 09:01:56 PM
Quote from: clockwork green on July 18, 2011, 11:02:22 PM
I may regret it but I've been craving a high gain amp for awhile now...saw a good deal on ebay ($1720)for a Elmwood Modena M90.  Should be here in a few days.  I figure I can get my money back or close pretty fast if need be. 

Would love to hear more about this once you get a chance to mess with it some.  Been thinking about getting a high gain amp myself lately- mostly considering Soldano and Fryettte stuff, not that there's any around to go try out first of course.
When I bought this it came down between this and the Fryette Pittbull Ultra Lead.  The Fryette definitely has more gain but it's a smoother, more highly compressed high gain.  The Elmwood finally came in the mail today but I was able to play it for awhile.  There are two channels, a clean and lead.  Each channel has a boost and I was really happy that I could get Matamp-ish tones from the clean channel with the volume and boost up or I can tighten it up like cranked Plexi.  It doesn't have the unusual midrange and while the lows are big and deep they're just different from a Mat but it can get in the ballpark.  The high gain isn't the hyper compressed Mesa sort of sound but it does roar.  I can still keep the lows nice and tight for palm mutes but it doesn't thin out or sound artificially muddy when I stop palm muting like many high gain amps.  I also really like the cleans.  They can keep fairly clean at really high volume and I can get even cleaner by backing off the guitar's volume.  Adding the boost on the lead channel can get a bit messy for rhythm but it can really sing with big harmonics for leads.  I didn't get to try any pedals out with it...hopefully it can take fuzz pedals well.  I'm planning on using this for another project...nothing is replacing my Matamp/Electric setup for my main band but so far I think I've found a keeper. 
"there's too many blanks in your analogies"

the diddler

Sounds very cool- thanks for the report!

Lumpy

Quote from: justinhedrick on July 28, 2011, 10:52:10 AM
Quote from: SunnO))) on July 28, 2011, 01:19:33 AM
http://www.shopgoodwill.com/auctions/DOD-Big-Pig-Distortion-Pedal-Fat-Distortion-8299139.html

i remember those from the DOD ads back in the day. i wonder how they sound?

"Manufactured by DOD for Musician's Friend. If you like grungy high-gain distortion that gives you plenty of boost, you'll go for this pedal. You can wheeze, snort, and generally get a tone as dirty as knee-deep mud. Features active switching for noiseless operation and die-cast metal construction that can take abuse. High-gain distortion with lots of bottom end. Active switching for noiseless operation. Die-cast metal case construction Runs on 9V battery or optional adapter. Essentially it is the FX70 in pink paint."

"Same as the Metal X, Corrosion, and Extreme Distortion pedals from DOD FX70."
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

justinhedrick

Quote from: Lumpy on July 28, 2011, 01:11:09 PM
Quote from: justinhedrick on July 28, 2011, 10:52:10 AM
Quote from: SunnO))) on July 28, 2011, 01:19:33 AM
http://www.shopgoodwill.com/auctions/DOD-Big-Pig-Distortion-Pedal-Fat-Distortion-8299139.html

i remember those from the DOD ads back in the day. i wonder how they sound?

"Manufactured by DOD for Musician's Friend. If you like grungy high-gain distortion that gives you plenty of boost, you'll go for this pedal. You can wheeze, snort, and generally get a tone as dirty as knee-deep mud. Features active switching for noiseless operation and die-cast metal construction that can take abuse. High-gain distortion with lots of bottom end. Active switching for noiseless operation. Die-cast metal case construction Runs on 9V battery or optional adapter. Essentially it is the FX70 in pink paint."

"Same as the Metal X, Corrosion, and Extreme Distortion pedals from DOD FX70."

so it's the same pedal, huh? i wonder if DOD did this a bunch?

RAGER

This doesn't really go here but it doesn't deserve its own thread.  yesterday i bought a blown 8 ohm V30 for less than $10.  i will recone it @ 16 ohms for about 50 bux and have a new speaker for less than $60
No Focus Pocus

justinhedrick

Quote from: RAGER on July 28, 2011, 04:04:57 PM
This doesn't really go here but it doesn't deserve its own thread.  yesterday i bought a blown 8 ohm V30 for less than $10.  i will recone it @ 16 ohms for about 50 bux and have a new speaker for less than $60

i'd say that's a pretty good deal!

black_out

Quote from: RAGER on July 28, 2011, 04:04:57 PM

is it an English made v30? Because I'm pretty sure you can get new ones from avatar for around $60-$70 a pop. Might not be able to buy just one, though.
By my side I keep my things that I ne-uh-ed! Rest in peace is gonna set me free!

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

black_out

Quote from: RAGER on July 28, 2011, 05:44:35 PM
yep British made

Nice dude! I mean shit, even if it weren't it's still probably a good deal, but that's a fucking killer deal right there.
By my side I keep my things that I ne-uh-ed! Rest in peace is gonna set me free!

Lumpy

Brooklyn -- Ampeg V4, needs a tuneup, 350 dollars

http://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/msg/2511297859.html

Long Island -- Earth B2000 SuperBass head, 100 watts (makes a burly guitar amp) 300 dollars

http://newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/msg/2521241581.html

Jake

I'd sell my Earth G2000 for $300.
poop.

strangelight

pittsburgh guitars, at 1305 E carson st in the south side of pittsburgh is sellin an older (1990s?) peavey classic 50/212 tube amp for just under $300.

MichaelZodiac

Just bought a Peavey T-40 bass for 350 euros (shipping included to Belgium from the States) on eBay, good deal as those Squier Classic Vibe are going for that price here as well. And hey, those Peaveys are indestructible and can create that nice Rickenbacker sound.
"To fully experience music is to experience the true inner self of a human being" -Pøde Jamick

Nolan

Lumpy

Univox U-1011 for 350 dollars shipped (300 picked up in Portland OR). Vintage 100 watt tube amp, listed on TalkBass.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f127/fs-univox-u-1011-all-tube-100w-amp-head-798762/

Derelict78

Quote from: MichaelZodiac on August 15, 2011, 07:44:18 AM
those Peaveys are indestructible and can create that nice Rickenbacker sound.
I just put a stereo out on mine for the Rick-o-sound

Lumpy

Mountainking Megalith for sale here, 225 dollars. Not the bro price, but these rarely come up for sale used. REDIC. HEAVY pedal that will blow out your colon. Do not dilly dally.

http://ilovefuzz.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=19259

YOU WANT THIS.

Hemisaurus

1977 Acoustic Amplifier - $100 (Decatur IL)
Date: 2011-08-18, 12:38PM CDT
Reply to: sale-ad4qg-2553506012@craigslist.org
Vintage amp. A couple pots are scratchy. Everything works and is very loud. TEXT.......217six1nine668five.

* it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

VOLVO)))

Go pick it up for me, Herbie, I'll paypal you cash.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Hemisaurus

'fraid I don't PayPal :o

VOLVO)))

bollocks. I probably don't need it anyways, besides, you'd have to clean it up before you send it to me :D

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Metal and Beer

A hundred bucks for an ACC 370? What a ripoff    :P

"Would it kill you fellas to play some Foghat?"

Hemisaurus

270, I think that's the guitar version?

either way, obviously I decided against it, or else I wouldn't have posted it here.

Discö Rice

Quote from: Lumpy on August 19, 2011, 08:58:08 PM
Mountainking Megalith for sale here, 225 dollars. Not the bro price, but these rarely come up for sale used. REDIC. HEAVY pedal that will blow out your colon. Do not dilly dally.

http://ilovefuzz.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=19259

YOU WANT THIS.
Why do you hate me so much?! :'( :'( :'(
Somebody's gonna eat my pussy or I'm gonna cut your fucking throat.