So what will be the next 'Sunn' amp?

Started by Instant Dan, February 06, 2011, 01:36:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Instant Dan

The amp that shoots up to ridiculous prices that before that, you could practically give them away for free? Ampeg V's are certainly getting there along with Traynor. Yet to be honest, I think in general most handmade amps that are not PCB board will keep going up in price.

VOLVO)))

"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

hayseed

old Acoustic Control Corp stuff. When i had my 220/406 for sale i had a ton of kids contact me because they bought the "new" Guitar Center Acoustic stuff and were now interested in the vintage gear
"We just want to make the walls cave in and the ceiling collapse. Music is meant to be played as loudly as possible, really raw and punchy, and I'll punch out anyone who doesn't like it the way I do." - BON SCOTT, AC/DC

Instant Dan

Quote from: hayseed on February 06, 2011, 01:58:29 PM
old Acoustic Control Corp stuff. When i had my 220/406 for sale i had a ton of kids contact me becuse the bought the new Guitar Center Acoustic stuff and were now interested in the vintage gear

That's true, IDK about all younger kids I remember when I was younger, I still just wanted the most 'metal' amp. It's funny though, you would be hard pressed about ten years ago to find a metal band or scenester like band playing Orange's and now they're everywhere.

neighbor664

Some of the older Peavey stuff? Butcher, VTM, Classic, 5150 etc.

black_out

5150's are already going for a decent bean. A friend of mine sold one for $650 a few weeks ago. You used to be able to get a V4 or a Traynor yba-1 for $300-$350 a few years ago. Now you're seeing V4s go for $700-$750 all day long and traynors are sneaking up around $550.

Good topic, though. I'd like to think that there are still some hidden gems out there that can be had for a reasonable price, but my fear is that in the age of the internet, there's not a whole lot left in the way of mass produced heads that aren't well known at this point. You might still scoop up a deal from an old head that bought a nice amp 30 years ago and put it in the closet or from a pawn shop, but I don't think there really is a next V4. Red Bear, maybe? Who knows.

Quote from: neighbor664 on February 06, 2011, 02:17:28 PM
Some of the older Peavey stuff? Butcher, VTM, Classic, 5150 etc.
By my side I keep my things that I ne-uh-ed! Rest in peace is gonna set me free!

VOLVO)))

I don't think the Red Bears and Migs will catch on like V4's and Traynors did. I hope they don't, at least. I need at least 5 of each before they do...

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

beardofcthulhu

Agree about the Peaveys.  They have some great new models, but let's be honest, they're unattainable to the average player.  I just snagged a VTM 60 for under 3 bills, but in a few months, those babies are going to skyrocket.  They (Peavey) have a legacy all their own and word's getting 'round...
Peace through volume.

black_out

Migs are already fetching a pretty penny compared to what they used to go for. Used to be able to snag up a Mig50 for around $250 about 5 years ago. Last few I've seen for sale have sold in the $400-$500 range. Still a killer deal IMO, but I'm still seeing Red Bears going even cheaper.  I guess people just still don't know what the Red Bears are so they don't bring the money that they probably could. A friend of mine has a 60 watt red bear and that thing is fucking doom in a box. No pedals required, just dime that beast and go nuts.

Quote from: SunnO))) on February 06, 2011, 07:21:35 PM
I don't think the Red Bears and Migs will catch on like V4's and Traynors did. I hope they don't, at least. I need at least 5 of each before they do...
By my side I keep my things that I ne-uh-ed! Rest in peace is gonna set me free!

zachoff

For the bass world & if you're talking not so much money for tube goodness I'd say Peavey in the bass world.  The VB2 is being had for $500 these days.  Same price as 100W Bassmans and while I love the tone of the Bassman it just doesn't have the volume needed for our kind of music.  I'll also throw in the Traynor YBA.  Another 200W awesome tube amp that isn't tons of money.

ROWDYBEER

The Kustom tuck and roll stuff has gone through the roof. At least on my local clist. Seemed to be pretty reasonable a year ago. The last few posts have been like 800+ and then there was one for well over a g. Ive never heard or played one. I wanted one of the pa models for my shops stereo system and one for the studio for a pa. No way thats going to happen now.

Anyone have a hidden gem for a powered mixer? Something loud and good for vocals and session playback?

hayseed

Rowdy- I just passed n a Sunn Concert Control PA on Saturday for $125 in perfect shape. I may still grab it....

Agreed about the Mig's. They are going through the roof. I saw one last Xmas for $250 and it sat on Craigslist for a while. Just saw one last month for $450 in the same area!
"We just want to make the walls cave in and the ceiling collapse. Music is meant to be played as loudly as possible, really raw and punchy, and I'll punch out anyone who doesn't like it the way I do." - BON SCOTT, AC/DC

ROWDYBEER

Hayseed get it and I will buy it from you if you don't want it.

blackkrosses

Quote from: SunnO))) on February 06, 2011, 01:56:03 PM

+1
Soldano circuit at a fraction the cost. Awesome amp. So many tubes.

Sovtek amps have seemed to hit a peak at the $500 mark which is double what they were selling for when MF had them on clearence. They are more suited for the sludge/doom genre much like the Sunn's.

black_out

Yamaha, huh? Care to fill me in. All the yamahas I've seen are solid state and it seems like people use them for keys in piano bars and shit.

Quote from: blackkrosses on February 08, 2011, 05:27:40 PM

+1

Sovtek amps have seemed to hit a peak at the $500 mark which is double what they were selling for when MF had them on clearence. They are more suited for the sludge/doom genre much like the Sunn's.

Discö Rice

Quote from: black_out on February 08, 2011, 09:43:54 PM
Yamaha, huh? Care to fill me in. All the yamahas I've seen are solid state and it seems like people use them for keys in piano bars and shit.

Quote from: blackkrosses on February 08, 2011, 05:27:40 PM

+1

Indeed. What is that?
Somebody's gonna eat my pussy or I'm gonna cut your fucking throat.

VOLVO)))

A Mike Soldano designed tube powered monster, is what that fucker is... Godly amps. Yamaha T100.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Discö Rice

Are they super rarer something? I can't seem to find one for sale.
Somebody's gonna eat my pussy or I'm gonna cut your fucking throat.

VOLVO)))

Certainly hard to find, but they aren't super rare... Usually go for about 400-500 bucks.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

black_out

Speak of the devil.....

A Red Bear MK120 with matching cab just popped up on the Philly Craigslist @ $750 for the fucking pair. I'm drooling.

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/msg/2207824593.html

clockwork green

I've yet to play a T100 but the most common opinions I hear are not good...maybe because most people expect SLO-tone is what I figure.
"there's too many blanks in your analogies"

Mike_Sims

Sovtek. I've been seeing the Laney AOR's going up a bit in price, but not "sunn up"

justinhedrick

Quote from: Mike_Sims on February 10, 2011, 09:41:58 PM
Sovtek. I've been seeing the Laney AOR's going up a bit in price, but not "sunn up"

i hope you're right. i'll hold onto my midget for as long as i have to!

Mike_Sims

I'm surprised people haven't caught on as quickly to Sovtek yet. Really good amps, and let's face it, in Soviet Russia, amp plays you!

Hemisaurus

Bugera. Dirt cheap amps, that despite a crappy reputation, can be fixed up cheap to be pretty good.

Mind you thats more cachet value than price.

I expect a lot of DIY'rs will catch onto these soon enough.