Main Menu

painting cabs with bed liner

Started by justinhedrick, February 07, 2011, 02:11:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

justinhedrick

in another thread someone mentioned painting a can with bedliner paint. I am seriously considering this. Would it impact the tone of the cabinet? i'd be painting a couple of Randall Cabinets from the late 80s (carpet covered) probably MDF or something. probably wouldn't have that big of an effect, right?

VOLVO)))

Do it. It's super sturdy, super durable. Some people say it may deaden the sound somewhat. I cover my cabs in it, exclusively. Great shit.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Lumpy

I would have done it already, but the brand of bedliner I was going to use takes several hours to dry, and needs to be in a well-ventilated area. I don't have anyplace where I can let my cabs sit and dry, with ventilation.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

justinhedrick

Quote from: SunnO))) on February 07, 2011, 10:05:50 PM
Do it. It's super sturdy, super durable. Some people say it may deaden the sound somewhat. I cover my cabs in it, exclusively. Great shit.

what brand of bed liner do you use? aslo, what kind of roller do you apply it with?

VOLVO)))

http://grizzlygrip.com/

They send you a textured roller, with the bedliner.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

bass sic

I painted my 4x10 with bed liner, only because I hate that carpet shit it was covered with. It didnt deaden the tone at all, but its just a particle board cab. My advise is dont do it in a cold environment. Since you have to do it outside because of the fumes, wait till it warms up because the stuff rolls like shit in the cold.

Lumpy

justinhedrick

right on. looks like a spring time project for this guy! oh well, it will be here in what, 3 or 4 months!

i wonder what color i should use? probably go with one of the dark greys or black. might sound lame but i like black amps.

VOLVO)))

Grizzlygrip has a shitload of colors under the "colors" tab...

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

justinhedrick

thanks for you help sunn. did you have to sand your cabinets down before putting it on?

VOLVO)))

The glue from the tolex has to come off. I built mine from scratch, out of 13 ply birch plywood, so I didn't have to do a shitload of sanding. Just the initial sanding. I would suggest sanding it, then cleaning all the dust off well, so the liner sticks.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Lumpy

justinhedrick

i'm bumping this old ass thread, i know, but i'm getting ready to order some of this to paint my 2x15 and don't know how much to get. any ideas?

VOLVO)))

A quart of Grizzly grip did a 4x12 with some to spare, and I applied it heavy.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

justinhedrick

Quote from: SunnO))) on June 03, 2011, 01:54:28 PM
A quart of Grizzly grip did a 4x12 with some to spare, and I applied it heavy.

right on. thanks man. thinking of going with the "charcoal grey". what colors did you use?

VOLVO)))

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

justinhedrick

Quote from: SunnO))) on June 03, 2011, 03:43:24 PM
Whiittteeeee

oh that's cool. does it look pretty good? it probably cleans up pretty well, right?

VOLVO)))

Yep, and you can't fucking hurt it.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Lumpy

Charcoal grey would look like a primer. That doesn't sound like a good color.

LogicalFrank

Quote from: SunnO))) on June 03, 2011, 03:43:24 PM
Whiittteeeee

I am so doing this w/ my Ampeg 2x15. Well, I still might do red but probably white. I am not looking forward to scraping off the remaining tolex though.
"I have today made a discovery which will ensure the supremacy of German music for the next hundred years."

VOLVO)))

You may be able to use a heat gun to weaken the glue... once its started, it comes like Peter North.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

LogicalFrank

At the rate it's going, I could just gig w/ the thing for another year. I am still thinking of covering it w/ sheet metal too... because It'd be fun if that thing was even heavier.
"I have today made a discovery which will ensure the supremacy of German music for the next hundred years."

justinhedrick

Quote from: LogicalFrank on June 06, 2011, 12:17:22 PM
At the rate it's going, I could just gig w/ the thing for another year. I am still thinking of covering it w/ sheet metal too... because It'd be fun if that thing was even heavier.

yeah, but the metal would give it a harder tone . . .  :P

i'm thinking of going the white route as well. that would be pretty cool, especially if it is really tough.