What are YOU up to, DIY/projectwise? Ask for help?

Started by VOLVO))), February 16, 2013, 11:02:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

Mr. Foxen

All together, adjusting and figuring how to play without looking like I'm having a seizure now.

Lumpy

Gonna replace the stomp switches on my DL4 and MM4 (somebody here traded me an MM4 missing a switch, I can't remember who -- memory is shot). Youtube video makes swapping them out look easy. Once they're apart, maybe I can clean them too.  ::)

Got the soft-touch switches from Bitches Love My Switches, two bucks apiece.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

Mr. Foxen

xayk

Quote from: Lumpy on February 23, 2014, 07:50:40 PM
Gonna replace the stomp switches on my DL4 and MM4 (somebody here traded me an MM4 missing a switch, I can't remember who -- memory is shot). Youtube video makes swapping them out look easy. Once they're apart, maybe I can clean them too.  ::)

Got the soft-touch switches from Bitches Love My Switches, two bucks apiece.

...Me, I think? Glad yr using it. I just... I just never cared. Maybe I miss the Univibe a little bit.

James1214

Scored a semi broken turntable from craigslist. Resoldered the burnt resistor and then tore it apart to use as a base for a pickup winder. Hitting the hardware store for the rest of the parts tomorrow. Pics soon.
words

mortlock

Quote from: Mr. Foxen on February 23, 2014, 01:21:59 PM
All together, adjusting and figuring how to play without looking like I'm having a seizure now.

sick bass

James1214

Here's a pic of the turntable transformed into a pickup winder. Have a p90 kit on the way. Can't wait to see what I can do with it.

words

jibberish

you know...those hoover wind tunnels have righteous motors in them.. you know that right? heh

ok the thread says ask for help. can a suv load of y'all come over and help me finish my music room.
pizza and great lakes Brewing company products aplenty for all

jibberish

I started poking around the breaker box setup for real. what a nasty fucking POS that old breaker setup is. it must be like the first style ever used.

then I started looking at all the nicely tucked wiring all flush behind plastered walls(ya in the garage, who knows...) my guess is this tapestry was laid out before the wall was added. not good.
the stove 220 is there and ripe for intercepting the stove outlet with one of those extension breaker boxes that ride on a main breaker. but I am hating this old Frankenstein trashbox more each time I look at it. besides, 50+ years is fair dinkum to expect out of an electrical distro system..

this deal has the separate mains fuse box. ok, that is a safe thing. fuses don't fuck up like breakers.

OK, thus, my current plan is to parallel hook-in right off the main busses AFTER the mains fuse box and go with that big 220 mains into the house. then put a small like 12/24 or as small as 8 breakers total breaker box. put a 20 amp on each phase and then fill the rest with all 10's. half for the music room and half for the fishies.
also, I will be MUCH less stressed knowing my 2 de-humidifiers each are alone on a 10 amp breaker. those compressers pull when they kick on.
that is plan A. like anything ever went exactly like it went on paper...but this seems straightforward. I can pre-wire the whole shebang, then kill the mains for 5 minutes while I tie into the 3 big buss lines.  

so I started pricing out pieces parts getting ready for the sticker shock. YAY. that shit is cheap. I can get an Eaton box and the breakers for $50-$60. I have romex for all the 110 splits, so I would only need to explore the more robust 220 mains wire,and w/e conduit  blah blah to be code. nice that romex and wire nuts is code for in wall heh. fuck stringing conduit. although I like doing the pipe bender haha. I would rather have a mandrel pipe bender like race shops have for headers and xhausts

--------------------------------------------------------
edit:  old PC power supply + MR-16 or wtf that 12volt track lighting spec is, LED spotlamp replacements may be my lighting for the main room.  those LED modules are about $10 each, but I can add them over time...hmmmm...

dogfood

Please, for the love of whatever deity or deities you slavishly worship, do...not...put...wirenuts...behind...sheetrock.  Btw, I have a spare 200A surface mount Cutler Hammer load center in my garage, I'll be in yer neck of the woods all Easter Bunny weekend.  Freebee?
Problem solving whiskey!

mutantcolors

Screenshot from a 3D modeling program I'm running to devise a shell structure buildable from everyday brick or concrete block or whatever I want that holds up to compression. When I'm out of school in a month I'm a start doing this shit for real.

Here's one in action, built by the software developers.

Danny G

Still can't figure out wtf is wrong with my wah pedal other than it works fine until I kick it on during a song.

But I did fix my bassist's Bass Drive pedal. Broken wire from the input to circuit board.

Of course I had to clip the wires and remove the power jack in order to fully remove the circuit board. During which the other input wire broke off

Then had the joy of trying to remove the remainders from being soldered on both sides of the board. With easily destroyable traces. And that goop shit that melts and then fills the goddamn hole.

Well built and tough to fix. Fuckers. But I fixed it and it works. But I killed the resale value on it fixing it. Win/lose.

Sent from a can on some string using Tapatalk
The less you have, the less there is to separate you from the music -- Henry Rollins

http://dannygrocks.com
http://dannygrocks.blogspot.com

jibberish

^props to anyone who rolls up their sleeves and goes for it.

mutant, those structures and those bridges and all that is really fascinating. I dig the idea of stick house alternatives bigtime.
then the engineer in me, who has been humbled by the real world after looking godly on paper, has to ask, are these things critically/minimally designed?

here's why I ask
let's say a drunk plows into a house. the stick house is kludge of attached pieces really not any compression type of support system. so the impact energy destroys the immediate area, and some energy goes through big beams and maybe cracks some plaster etc, but the house basically stays intact.

now what if that drunk hits the compression house in one of those legs. is this an instant domino effect that collapses flat and crushes everything?

mutantcolors

Yeah probably.

Handily these are being sited on the Thai/Cambodian steppe and I get full say over what happens on the site, so I can designate auto and foot traffic zones. Would I build one for my own home? Yes, but not without devising further structural means - not to mention a city council would never pass one of these off in the design proposal stage anyway. They look at you sideways if you bring up something other than a 2x6 wall. Good luck with that building permit.

mutantcolors

One method could be to take the major components of the wire frame of that shell and detail it as, say, a steel frame. Then you design a panel system of whatever wall/ceiling construction best suits your needs and play legos.

Pissy

Quote from: Danny G on April 09, 2014, 12:22:38 AM
Still can't figure out wtf is wrong with my wah pedal other than it works fine until I kick it on during a song.

But I did fix my bassist's Bass Drive pedal. Broken wire from the input to circuit board.

Of course I had to clip the wires and remove the power jack in order to fully remove the circuit board. During which the other input wire broke off

Then had the joy of trying to remove the remainders from being soldered on both sides of the board. With easily destroyable traces. And that goop shit that melts and then fills the goddamn hole.

Well built and tough to fix. Fuckers. But I fixed it and it works. But I killed the resale value on it fixing it. Win/lose.

Powered with an adapter?  Crybaby? 

Mine, the recess in the case isn't large enough to comfortably get the adapter in there. I had to shave the barrel down, else it hung in limbo.  Sometimes it worked, sometimes not. I think it killed the signal when it didn't work though. Yours?
Vinyls.   deal.

Danny G

I've been running mine off battery as of late.

Recently moved it to front of chain and have yet to buy a right angle adapter for it.

But sitting first in chain on my board it's always unplugged when I pack up so battery is good. I think.

I should probably check. IIRC the 9v within passed the stick-it-to-my-tongue test.

The less you have, the less there is to separate you from the music -- Henry Rollins

Danny G

Hmmm. Maybe the battery is dead after all.

Hahaha sigh...

showdown

Slow going, I really really hope there's enough shellac on the top now and I'll leave it to dry out completely for a few days before I sand more. I've just flattened it with 1500 grit Micro-mesh so far and it looks pretty good, got no witness lines this time.

The neck is also getting somewhere. It came with a "vintage tint" (read: intense yellow) finish that I had to scrape off, the poly resisted all paint strippers that I tried. A little sanding next, then I'll refinish it with Tru-oil instead.

VOLVO)))

Those necks are a pure motherfucker to strip. I've done three of them.

Qwikstrip, and let it sit. I hand scraped it with a knife.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Jake

I love that Tele. Get on it and get it up and running!

I just ghetto fabricated a new pickguard for my Epi EB-3 (the long scale one) using only a Dremmel with the sanding barrel and the buffing wheel. Looks fine enough without scrutinizing it too much. You may also notice the HUGE .182 E-string on there, too. It's for this new thing I'm doing at a super low tuning -- F (octave down) F / A# / D#

Even with that $30 single string, I've only got $150 total invested into "building" this here bass.

poop.

Danny G

Yes, the battery in my way was dead.

And no, unfortunately, replacing it didn't make the wah work. 

Well shit.

VOLVO)))

If it drained unplugged, it's shorted somewhere.

Wherever the disconnect from the battery is when the adapter is engaged. Probably around there.

There are so few joints in there, reflow all of them. You could have a fucked join since you were in there prodding at it. That's my usual first step. Brute force. Figure the portions of the power section from the scheme and start from there.

Short your switch to always on. Put a plug into both jacks and watch the LED.

Edit: LED COULD BE BAD.

Those wah switches are fuckin awful.

Im not pickin on you, or saying you haven't already done all this but persistence will win the battle.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

jibberish

jake's bass looks good. don't fuck with the fret inlays. they are perfect.