sous vide bags

Started by Chovie D, February 18, 2013, 01:31:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chovie D

who has one and what vacuum seal/bag system do you use? pros cons? general sous vide wisdom? Thanks.

Chovie D

Nevermind, food saver is the answer

MadJohnShaft

As I saw.... If you put a rolled up paper towel near the top, it can help to curtail the liquids from interfering
Some days chickens, some days feathers

Chovie D

food saver is what they use at the modernist cuisine lab so thats what Ima get.

MadJohnShaft

The fancy pantsy Mexican resort we are going to in a couple weeks has a Molecular Gastronomy restaurant.  In case you want to eat some Nitrogen infused cauliflower butter in Mexico. I bet they have a Sous Vide.

Chovie D

when in mexico...id prefer toave traditional mexican food, rather than a deconstrcuted taco with salsa gelee and scallop foam.

I dont care about molecular astronomy, but I gots a sous vide machine now, should be interesting.

MadJohnShaft

Put a fucking steak in there and cook it for a whole day, then use your blowtorch to put a delicious crust on it. Wash your hands first.

Try not to poison yourself.

That is what I saw on TV.

Chovie D

hey...... this food saver shit is pretty cool. I can vacuum pack my weed...on weed

havent cooked any sous vide yet tho

soon

MadJohnShaft

Put a squirrel in a sous vid bag and report back.

Lumpy

I was expecting duck confît.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

MadJohnShaft

That's not what you think it is.

Lumpy

???

http://norecipes.com/blog/sous-vid-duck-confit/#sthash.96lcBQeZ.dpbs

QuoteThis week on Sous Vide Saturday I'm going to talk about one of those dishes that sous vide cooking was practically invented for: duck confit.

Chovie D

sure...duck confit sounds great...Ill get on it soon. :)

MadJohnShaft

Duck conf what? You don't want that, make a steak like a man.

Lumpy

A boiled steak, that's a Phyllis Diller joke.

RAGER

I've got some lovely duck breasts in the freezer from a buddy who bird hunts but I definitely won't be cooking them in a goddamned plastic bag. 
No Focus Pocus

Chovie D

the advantage of cooking sous vide, according to Modernist Cuisine, is that it cooks the food evenly to a precise temperature all the way thru. I look forward to not having to guess when my steaks are done to perfection and inevitably missing that mark by 30 seconds or so. meat is typically browned on the outside after cooking sous vide. bkowtorch or hot pan just enough to make a crust.

for tougher cuts of meat the cooking times are insanely long. 100 hours for braised shortribs.

seems like something youd be INTO Rager, not raging against  :P

RAGER

Modernist Cuisine is exactly what I'm not into.  I'm into old rustic cooking.  Fire and hot quick action of stove top cooking and grilling.  Don't get me wrong, I love slow cooking too; like braising and roasting.  The sous vide thing has never been my deal.  And If I do any confit it's directly in the fat or something like french fingerling potatoes confit in olive oil.  yum
No Focus Pocus

Lumpy

Quote from: RAGER on March 21, 2013, 11:19:23 AM
I've got some lovely duck breasts

I'll bet you do, sweetheart.

RAGER

You wait until I show em off.
No Focus Pocus

Chovie D

I gotta admit Im not into modernist cuisine so much myself. But we have all the shit cause of a work connection. the books, the sous vide machine all of it.
I might as well use it. I will report back and letcha know if its any good.

I doubt I will do a fancy Mod C recipe, with tarrot chip ribbons and lobster foam and all that crap...I'll just use the technique to cook the meat.

MadJohnShaft

This seems, like everything in existence since Cobain died, like something you would dismiss out of hand. This sous vide machine is clearly indicative of your demise and something you should reject as well.

Chovie D

Quote from: MadJohnShaft on March 22, 2013, 05:40:16 AM
This seems, like everything in existence since Cobain died, like something you would dismiss out of hand. This sous vide machine is clearly indicative of your demise and something you should reject as well.

I dont doubt your wisdom in this matter...but like I said, i have the machine...should I not use it?

RAGER

So what does the "machine" consist of?  A seal a meal?
No Focus Pocus

Chovie D

The sous vide machine itself is a unit that sits on top of a large pot or vat of your own choosing. It looks like a mini outboard motor for your stew pot basically. It circulates the water, heats it to an exact temperature..this is like a $600 machine.

THe Food Saver is a vacuum sealer. Separate maching used to bag your food and vacuum the air out before cooking.
sous vide means "under vacuum" so youre cooking things in a vacuum of sorts. about $200 for the fanciest model.

Modernist Cuisine 5 volume cookbook, I think is $600?

so yeah... you too can cook sous vide for about $1400  :D

Everything but the Food Saver was free.

The food Saver can be used to store your food also...its a pretty cool device.
I dont know if its $200 cool if youre just using it to preserve your food longer...but it is kinda neat.
SHaft should be all over this...