the homebrew blogtrain

Started by khoomeizhi, March 24, 2013, 12:38:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

khoomeizhi

at risk of getting myself into trouble with my dear wife (since we're trying to buy a house/move this fall), i just scored a bunch more nice glass carboys for pretty cheap, increasing my brewing capacity by 41 gallons. what to do, what to do...
let's dispense the unpleasantries

Jor el

Dude I work with just lost all his brew & equipment to the recent Royal Oak Basement Floodage.
What Would Scooby Do ?

RAGER

Quote from: khoomeizhi on August 23, 2014, 11:33:14 AM
at risk of getting myself into trouble with my dear wife (since we're trying to buy a house/move this fall), i just scored a bunch more nice glass carboys for pretty cheap, increasing my brewing capacity by 41 gallons. what to do, what to do...

Eventually bottle and ship some neato stuff to me.  I will pay of course.
No Focus Pocus

deleted account

Quote from: Jor el on August 23, 2014, 11:40:13 AM

Dude I work with just lost all his brew & equipment to the recent Royal Oak Basement Floodage.

shouldn't that be spelled Floooodage?

MadJohnShaft

The mead is going on six months. I'm tempted to transfer it to a clean carboy and give it a few more months. Can't decide.

I have a bit left of #4 and #5 so I need to brew #6 this weekend.
Some days chickens, some days feathers

Beta Cloud

Quote from: MadJohnShaft on September 11, 2014, 11:16:40 PM
The mead is going on six months. I'm tempted to transfer it to a clean carboy and give it a few more months. Can't decide.

I have a bit left of #4 and #5 so I need to brew #6 this weekend.

i think you know the answer wise one... patience.
why does it hurt when i pee?

MadJohnShaft

Yeah. I got a subscription to monthly growlers from the local micro brewery. $80 for 6.

Brewing this weekend and it's freaking cold outside - so even better. The grains have been sitting in the basement for a while. I just finished off #4 into one perfect pint glass.

I boiled 3.5 gallons of water for a half hour and then put it outside on the porch until I need it. I think you need to drive off the chlorine.

NCR600

So, this is what 've been building instead of posting shit here, in case anyone is wondering (which is probably no-one)

And here's my new fermenter & fridge rig.

Pretty swish huh?

The brewery is still manually controlled, I haven't bothered to do any farmer/scientist shit with arduino, but it's capable of doing stepped mashes and with 3 pumps and a heat exchanger & plate chiller, there is no fucking around with buckets & jugs or whirlpooling with a damned spoon

MadJohnShaft

Where and why are you doing this?  

Getting my first growler tomorrow.

Look at the gear these guys Kickstarted - I'm insanely jealous.

RAGER

That's a pretty sweet rig there NCR
No Focus Pocus

khoomeizhi

khoomeizhi

and for the record, NCR, i was wondering, when i started this thread 19 months ago. been competing still too?

NCR600

Yeah, still competing, and been getting some good results too, but still haven't cracked an invite to he nationals!
I've got a vague plan to have a range of recipes that need no further tweaking so in around 18 months time I can start a microbrewery so I have something to do when I get retrenched from my current job!

MadJohnShaft

You can Kickstarter a Community Supported Brewery.

NCR600

Quote from: MadJohnShaft on October 11, 2014, 12:44:40 AM
You can Kickstarter a Community Supported Brewery.

Well, it's probably a better idea than my current business plan.

Volume

Shit, that looks awesome NCR600. I'm still att the plastic buckets and spoon stage... the future holds less guitars and more brew equipment I guess.  :P

NCR600

Plastic buckets and spoons make perfectly good beer! You're probably better off spending on guitars!

MadJohnShaft

kegged up number 6

if Shaytan/Yob can do award winning all grain on his chinese stovetop (in China) then I can certainly puzzle this out here. next weekend.

khoomeizhi

bottled a ginger-apple-pear cyser last night. s'good.

ThisHairyGuy

Great thread!

Here's a double IPA that me and a buddy made. Could have been better. We still very much novices haha...

it was to this planet that unattended ballpoints would make their way, slipping away quietly through wormholes in space to a world where they could enjoy a uniquely ballpointoid lifestyle, responding to highly ballpoint-oriented stimuli and generally leading the ballpoint equivalent of the good life

khoomeizhi

a lot of seasonal fruit going into mead these days. started a persimmon/ground cherry and a kousa (edible dogwood) in the last couple weeks. gearing up to rack a batch that i started as a traditional onto something...been putting a lot of stuff aside in the freezer. pawpaw? pawpaw with wild black cherry? something.

ThisHairyGuy

Quote from: NCR600 on October 09, 2014, 08:57:39 AM
So, this is what 've been building instead of posting shit here, in case anyone is wondering (which is probably no-one)

And here's my new fermenter & fridge rig.

Pretty swish huh?

The brewery is still manually controlled, I haven't bothered to do any farmer/scientist shit with arduino, but it's capable of doing stepped mashes and with 3 pumps and a heat exchanger & plate chiller, there is no fucking around with buckets & jugs or whirlpooling with a damned spoon

This looks fucking sick! Well done man!
it was to this planet that unattended ballpoints would make their way, slipping away quietly through wormholes in space to a world where they could enjoy a uniquely ballpointoid lifestyle, responding to highly ballpoint-oriented stimuli and generally leading the ballpoint equivalent of the good life

MadJohnShaft

I could go sample number six...

NCR600

Quote from: ThisHairyGuy on October 22, 2014, 06:44:00 AM

This looks fucking sick! Well done man!

Cheers! Still learning how to drive it properly, but the beers I'm getting out of it now I tend to prefer to the commercial stuff. tasted the Stone 18th Anniversary IPA tonight and thought that I can do as good as that! On a good day anyway, and only in small batches. Currently sampling my latest Saison. Saisons normally need to be fermented at summertime temperatures, so I thought I'd ferment it at ambient and keep the fridge for a Black IPA I brewed on on the same day, bet we got a cool snap after weeks of hot days and it's not quite what I wanted. Still an nice keg filler and very drinkable. Won't be entering it in any comps though.

Quote from: MadJohnShaft on October 22, 2014, 09:09:54 PM
I could go sample number six...

Well hurry up and sample it then! I wanna hear what it's like!