POG Position? Before or after dirt?

Started by HommeHomie, April 17, 2013, 03:00:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HommeHomie

Hey guys. I'm a noobie to the forum with quite a few pedals. I'm a huge fan of quotsa/kyuss/them crooked vultures tone. I'm looking to get peoples opinions on the placement for the EHX Pog in an effects chain. I can get all kinds of great sounds at home level volumes but I'm looking to get peoples serious opinions for when you are up on stage with the volume cranked.

Sorry if I'm breaking any rules. I tried a search on the forum about this topic and didn't come up with much. I've googled it and people are awfully mixed on their opinions.

juan11

Send Elizabeth a bmail--  her boyfriend will know.
srl = advancing our core selves in the spirit to be best

Jor el

If you're looking for serious opinions you've come to the right place (IMHO).
What Would Scooby Do ?

MadJohnShaft

There's a musician forum for this boring fucking bullshit,
Some days chickens, some days feathers

Shaytan

I seriously think you should ask this in the jam room and if you don't take thems people's opinions seriously, at least take them into consideration. You can try all of thems people's opinions and try them out, or do you have a gig tomorrow morning?
Hell on Earth!!!

mulekicker

You should ask these questions in the jam room, but if it was me I'd definitely put it after any dirt pedals. Especially if you're using fuzz as they like to be first in the chain. It's really up to you and what your ears tell you sounds better, but I'd go guitar,dirt, pog, time based effects like delay and reverb, amp. If you give a rundown of your pedals in the jam room we can give you a pretty good idea of what signal chain would probably sound best.

VOLVO)))

Put the POG after dirt, before modulation.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

RacerX

Pls move this dirty POG convo to the J Room, thangavarrymudge.
Livin' The Life.

HommeHomie

I appreciate the quick feedback guys. I'm digging the sound after the dirt. The POG seems to be tracking better for sure. I'll make sure I keep this type of discussion in the Jam Room from now on. Thanks

MadJohnShaft

You better or I'll shove that shit right up your ass

Musicians are so stupid.
Some days chickens, some days feathers

RacerX

Quote from: MadJohnShaft on April 17, 2013, 11:57:49 AM
You better or I'll shove that shit right up your ass

Musicians are so stupid.

You wouldn't know a Maj6 from a min7 chord, and if you tried to keep 9/8 time, your head would explode.
Livin' The Life.

jibberish

he knows the imbecilical chord.  he needs to exercise more to produce the wood chord with authority tho.

edit for reality due to newer person's presence:

MJS loves music. MJS has an incredible sense of humor. just look at his thread titles. he is very subtle at times. at other times he dishes out the perfectly replayed rage script. we all know it , so we watch and enjoy the performance.

many of us join in with more crap, laughing all the way. I personally like playing with words when I dish out crap.

clockwork green

I like it before dirt so that I'm giving my dirt a clean signal so you get more clarity for the octave. My POG goes first on my board. I tend to go octave-dirt-modulation-delay-reverb-looper
"there's too many blanks in your analogies"

HommeHomie

"edit for reality due to newer person's presence:

MJS loves music. MJS has an incredible sense of humor. just look at his thread titles. he is very subtle at times. at other times he dishes out the perfectly replayed rage script. we all know it , so we watch and enjoy the performance.

many of us join in with more crap, laughing all the way. I personally like playing with words when I dish out crap."-jibberish

Thanks for clarifying jibberish. Sarcasm is sometimes lost.

jibberish

lol, yay, you came back.  I felt like that one needed some explanation

bluesprojection

Run it before all your distortion/fuzz pedals. Its an octave pedal! Run your boost pedals after the pog.

Discö Rice

Before the dirt sounds best on paper. Having played both ways, which do you prefer? Do you have sound files up somewhere so we can pass some real serious judgment on you?
Somebody's gonna eat my pussy or I'm gonna cut your fucking throat.

beerrhino

I've tried it both ways and my POG hates a dirty signal.  If it's not first in the chain I get garbled nonsense.

VOLVO)))

Quote from: beerrhino on May 25, 2013, 10:02:55 AM
I've tried it both ways and my POG hates a dirty signal.  If it's not first in the chain I get garbled nonsense.

Really?

This is the POG fed some dirt and played chorded most of the time.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

beerrhino

Maybe it's just mine Sunn, or maybe it's my fuzz, but I can't even run the pog after my boost pedal

clockwork green

Sunn, how was your POG set up in that video? I've only listened to it on my ipad's speakers but I honestly can't even tell it's on. Are you blending in a low octave or something smipler like that with no or little detune?

VOLVO)))

Oh, it's definitely there. It makes up more than half of that tone. It was set level cranked, low octave 80%, everything else down, filter 80%, dirt before it.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

clockwork green

iPad speakers aren't exactly known for their lowend. I've listened to bass clips before and thought the video wasn't working then I remembered they cut off everything down there.

Ombrenuit

Wouldn't dirt mess with the tracking of the octave?

MichaelZodiac

That's why a POG works better than that brown Boss octave pedal. That thing can crap out with dirt, the POG not so much.
"To fully experience music is to experience the true inner self of a human being" -Pøde Jamick

Nolan