The food and drink forum blog thread.

Started by RAGER, April 22, 2013, 11:31:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RAGER

Go!.

My dog the new Saveur issue is full of wonderful things to keep me busy for weeks.  I just might have to cook every damn thing in it.kkI'm already devising how to make my own neonata rosamarina.  A Calabrian fish and pepper sauce.  Gonna try to find soem locally or have some shipped first so I can dissect it then I'll make my own.  Fuck yes.  I'm inspired!
No Focus Pocus

Chovie D

dark ipa sucks. ipa sucks...that is all.

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

deleted account

I can't remember the last time I wanted an IPA.  it's been all PBRs, Olys, Hamms, Miller High Lifes, Buds, Bohemias, and Trumers.

also,

I,Galactus

Going back to Arkansas next month and bringing back a bunch of decent beers I can't get in Okieland: Lagunitas, Avery, etc.

Made RAGER CARNE ASADA last night with sirloin on the grill, was phenom.  Had leftovers for lunch.

Finally ponied up and bought a digital meat thermometer and now my grilling is much more consistent.

/blawg
"Why don't you take a flying fuck at a rolling doughnut? Why don't you take a flying fuck at the mooooooooooooon?"

MadJohnShaft

You know, the first time I got one of these and stuck them in the food on the grill it made me be more aggressive in rotating front to back and side to side - I was surprised by how wildly different the temp on everything was. I am in love with mine...

Some days chickens, some days feathers

Chovie D

traditional grilling wisdom says only flip a steak once. but they found it cooked mor quickly and more evenly if you flip it a buncha times...science!

if you poke a peice of meat multiple times with a meat thermometer..arent you kind of releasing the juices?

I,Galactus

Quote from: Chovie D on April 22, 2013, 03:47:24 PM
traditional grilling wisdom says only flip a steak once. but they found it cooked mor quickly and more evenly if you flip it a buncha times...science!

If you're lookin', it ain't cookin'.

Quote from: Chovie D on April 22, 2013, 03:47:24 PMif you poke a peice of meat multiple times with a meat thermometer..arent you kind of releasing the juices?

Yeah, but not as much as cutting it open and looking to see how pink it is/ain't.  This system never worked for me either:

Maybe my hands are spongy?
"Why don't you take a flying fuck at a rolling doughnut? Why don't you take a flying fuck at the mooooooooooooon?"

MadJohnShaft

Yeah, I think you can flip things and move them around all you want, though opening the lid is taking a temp hit.  You can usually find a safe place to stick the probe in, through a vein of fat say, but yeah it does commence to leaking a bit.   I usually only take Chickens temp though - once you get the outside of the steak right it always coasts to done during the rest period.

Chovie D

I could never figure out that shit either..tap the fucking thing? plus regarding that picture, what kind of philistine eats meat  cooked well done?

no more guessing games for me at home now that I have the sous vide machine.

I,Galactus

True blog story:  I envied choves' sous vide abilities whilst eating slightly under cooked soft-boiled eggs yesterday morning.

Chovie D

Quote from: I,Galactus on April 22, 2013, 05:31:36 PM
True blog story:  I envied choves' sous vide abilities whilst eating slightly under cooked soft-boiled eggs yesterday morning.

id recommend gettin one if it werent so crazy expensive

RAGER

Or that it takes too goddamn long to cook anything. How longs it take to do the perfect soft boiled egg?  Couple of hours?  Shit nigga I have that cackle berry done in lik 4 min.

/real talk
No Focus Pocus

Chovie D

1 hour for the eggs. It IS a long  ass time when youre hungover and hungry.
Steak depends n thickness but 45mins to an hour.
bRaised short ribs? 72  hours. i havent "gone there" yet but will eventually.

black aspirin

Today's lunch was a sammich.  All-wheat bread with plain hummus as the spread, 3 thin slices of turkey, 1 piece of Sargento reduced-fat Colby Jack cheese, 2 thin slices of tomato, and 2 bread-and-butter kosher pickle slices.  Topped of with a side of cottage cheese with lots of pepper.

I have this like 4 times a week.  Doesn't get old, and keeps me looking so pretty.  :D
This Juan goes to 11.

MichaelZodiac

I time my steaks when I panfry 'em, if the steak isn't too thick: 2 minutes on each side in a very hot pan usually does the trick. I like my steak rare to medium rare.

IMO, steak on a bbq is more difficult and the chance of drying out is bigger.
"To fully experience music is to experience the true inner self of a human being" -Pøde Jamick

Nolan

MadJohnShaft

RAGER

Quote from: black aspirin on April 22, 2013, 08:06:17 PM
Today's lunch was a sammich.  All-wheat bread with plain hummus as the spread, 3 thin slices of turkey, 1 piece of Sargento reduced-fat Colby Jack cheese, 2 thin slices of tomato, and 2 bread-and-butter kosher pickle slices.  Topped of with a side of cottage cheese with lots of pepper.

I have this like 4 times a week.  Doesn't get old, and keeps me looking so pretty.  :D

Task oriented man of routine are we?  There something to be said for a little variety my friend.

Last night we cooked cubes steak right over the chiminea and dipped it in RAGER FIERY GREMOLATA WITH ANCHOVIES.

Gonna be doing this a lot more.
No Focus Pocus

Chovie D

mortlock

I have some killer pastrami from my local deli..better than usual..

MadJohnShaft

You might think you do.... did the Jews make it?

RAGER

Put that shit on some jew bread.  Yum.

meat on skewers over chiminea is working nicely.  here's a test piece.

Last night we did Negro National hotdogs.  They were big!!
No Focus Pocus

Lumpy

I cooked a whole (10 pound) pork shoulder overnight (10 hours) at 250 degrees. I only do this about once a year, because that's how long it takes me to forget that a whole pork shoulder is way too much for me. By the time I've eaten the whole thing, I am sick of eating pork for 3 months. But I found out that it freezes well. I shredded it, and froze about 1/3.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

RAGER

The housemates will be moved out this weekend.  I'm ecstatic to have the entire kitchen to myself.  Got a lot of reorganizing to do and a bunch of my stuff to still unpack.  Gonna set up a couple more work/prep surfaces.  Couldn't really do this before because if there's a horizontal surface anywhere, they're prone to stacking shit on it which drives me nuts to have to constantly move other peoples shit.  I can't fucking wait.
No Focus Pocus

black

I can't believe that you create all those sumptuous looking dishes on an electric stove.

*respect*
At Least I Don't Have The Clap.