Main Menu

BBQ!

Started by Sally, August 03, 2012, 08:56:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pissy

And at 3:45am it's up to temp, making smoke and I throw it on.  I decided to put it on the top rack, vs the bottom to maximize the charcoal.  I think that foil barrier right below the bottom rack would take more energy to keep at 220° than it will up top. 

Not exactly back to bed, since I've got a fire going, but it'll be going until 6:00pm.  I can leave it alone for a few hours, check on it then. 
Vinyls.   deal.

Muffin Man

was here at 3:39AM

Pissy

Approaching hour 4.  

Vinyls.   deal.

Pissy

Vinyls.   deal.

Pissy

Vinyls.   deal.

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

Pissy

It went for 13 hrs.  It's good, but not as tender as I would expect.  Did 220°.  Might try 250 next time.

Funny thing, I always nailed it before I had any knowledge or control over temperature, using my old reliable smoker cheap ass smoker.  Afterwards not so much.
Vinyls.   deal.

RAGER

Ain't that some shit. I've had similar experiences doing something the new fangled way as opposed to by feel.
No Focus Pocus

mortlock

pissy with the win. holy crap that looks amazing.

Muffin Man

Pissy

It was good, not great.  I think i need to go up to 250°.  As a matter of fact, I don't remember the last time I made a butt on this particular smoker, but I'm almost positive it was before i got the temp controller.   Maybe I documented it in this thread.  I'll look. 

There is a remote possibility that it wasn't thawed completely.   But I think it was.  It sat in a bucket thawing for about 8 hrs, then in the brine in the fridge for another 12.  
Vinyls.   deal.

Muffin Man

Just noticed those claws! 13 hours. Neat.

I let this slip past the "use by date" 3 weeks but it seemed okay. So alot of brine time. In the oven at 325F, lowered to 250, but it was cooked to 170F internal before I knew it - 2+ hours. I'd planned on 6 lol, so my math was way off.

When it came out of the package it was a big round piece, then it turned it into this. Maybe had a lot of water in it? Heavily seasoned, a bit too much, but it tastes pretty good! Lemon-pepper pokes out nice. Would do again but in the Kamado.

I'll try to pull it, again, but had to slice away at it. Working my way through it; enchilada, stir fry, making pho noodle soup today.

$7.99lb

mortlock

a bit processed for my tastes. i dont trust it. i dont trust their process.

Muffin Man

Quote from: mortlock on April 19, 2024, 12:31:18 AMa bit processed for my tastes. i dont trust it. i dont trust their process.

flavor is good, and no heart palipitations, but I totally agree. Got caught up at the warehouse store in old memories of visiting a Morton's a couple times. And Tri-tip always gets me, although I'd take a lesser cut. $7.99lb worth a try and I'd do it again, but yeah, took the easy way out. Better to home brine like Pissy has going there. Just a matter of setting/equiping up.

bon appetìte!

Pissy

I hate that package of meat so goddamn much.
Vinyls.   deal.

Muffin Man