The food and drink forum blog thread.

Started by RAGER, April 22, 2013, 11:31:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RAGER

Is that a turtle on the right?  And if so why?  Was it scolding you for using a plastic straw?
No Focus Pocus

renfield

Black garlic. You're the second person to accuse me of eating turtle lmao

RAGER

Oh duh. I see it now. Turtle soup picante is pretty good though.
No Focus Pocus

RAGER

Picked up some great looking baby bok choy at the Asian market. Did a very different kimchi for want of a better term. It's got lemongrass and galangal along with ginger and garlic. Instead of dried chili flakes I used a little of my red curry paste and a little bit of kapi(shrimp paste). And do you see the little strands?  Those are sun dried scallops. It's gonna be hot and fishy. Made it on Tuesday. I'll taste it next week.

No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

I've got a batch percolating in the fermenting crock; Napa, Kimchi paste from the market, garlic, sushi ginger. It smells something bad right now, not sure its going to be edible. The ginger is the stuff you'd get at a sushi bar and the paste is probably not the best. Even if the combo is questionable it should work well enough? I'll go traditional for my next batch but it'll be fun, healthy I hope, to see what happens with this one. I'll post pic when its out the crock.

RAGER

Did you coat the cabbage in kosher salt for a few hours first?  If not you prolly don't have the right ph to ferment. Unless the kimchi paste has a bunch of salt.  Salt is a key ingredient to ward off bad bacteria.
No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

I think it's got to be fermenting, I mean it's blerping like crazy (burping), gas bubles escaping the lid. It's highly active. Yes, I coated the 2"x2" cabbage in kosher sea salt for a couple hours, rinsed with distilled water, mashed/light crushed and seasoned, folded using rubber gloves. First time that I've used gloves, that was slick. Using a 5L crock. I will pick up another, a 10L I think.

Half full, test batch. It's been a week, I usually go 4-6 but that's just a random number.

IMG-4693" border="0

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

Nice and fantastic lunch of birria (my-o-my this was good) soup, 2 pierna* taco platter and the strongest Horchata. Chili oil in the salsa tray was new to me. Food was Jalisco style she said. Super tasty.

*shredded pork, I think. I'd not seen pierna before (probably totally common). Usually choose for carnitas.

SurpriseTM for later this week burritos to-go! chicken and, chorizo. Large guacamole to go.

Been a while since I lucked into a nice tacqueria.

IMG-4731" border="0

IMG-4732" border="0

mortlock

thats what im talkin aboot right there.

RAGER

Pierna. Pork shank. Just a different cut to cook low and slow.

That whole spread looks legit. Congrats. I'd eat a very thing there.
No Focus Pocus

renfield

Low and slow: good for both meat and doom riffs

RAGER

Speaking of shanks, got some thawing right now. Making khao ka muu tonight. I'll post some pics tomorrow.
No Focus Pocus

RAGER

Forgot to take after pics but it's all about these shanks in this braising liquid that contains stock!white pepper corns, coriander seeds, and Szechuan peppercorns among other things. Ooh dark soy sauce.

Oh and soft boiled eggs

No Focus Pocus

RAGER

A small batch of kraut about done

I've been using fermented bean curd (tofu) in stuff. The red stuff is pretty mild possibly due to the addition of the red yeast and wine. The white is fucking delicious and smells foetid. Very strong flavor. Both are texturally like and overripe bleu cheese. I mixed some in my steel cut oats along with my fishy kimchi.

Beautiful baby kale tops (kalettes). Picked just a few minutes ago.

My wife is untrainable as far as proper knife care so I bought her these. Cut anything you want on any surface you want. Leave them out. Put them in the sink. Put them in the washer. Trim shrubs. I don't care.

No Focus Pocus

mortlock

they would be good for killing the corona virus. stab that fucker right in the face.

RAGER

Hey I'm making pizza bread tonight. It was fun last time.
No Focus Pocus

RAGER

Pizza bread with fresh mozzarella, herbed ricotta, pecorino, shrimp, prosciutto, and red onion.

No Focus Pocus

mortlock

you know id eat the fuck out of that.

RAGER

I had to use up the mozzarella and ricotta so I made stuffed shells. Lots o cheese and crispy.

No Focus Pocus

Lumpy

Do you ever finish your pasta with a drizzle of raw olive oil when serving? Just a tablespoon or so (per serving). Makes your pasta awesome. As I learned from a real life actual Italian(/American).
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

RAGER

Yup. I keep a few different "finishing oils" around for just that.  You can see dribbled on the pizza bread pics.
No Focus Pocus

Lumpy

I was afraid that was honey (I haven't tried that yet).
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

RAGER

I know honey is a thing. Around here it's spicy bourbon barrel aged honey. Nah thanks. At least not on pizza.
No Focus Pocus