The food and drink forum blog thread.

Started by RAGER, April 22, 2013, 11:31:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pissy

Vinyls.   deal.

mortlock

rager is taking a page out of muffin mans pizza making.

RAGER

Fuck yeah!  Tarragon Dijon base, red wine braised shallots. Gruyère. I can source frog legs, snails and merguez. Shit!  This sounds good.
No Focus Pocus

mortlock

i need to get my hands on some scrapple. i cant find it locally. might have to mail order.

Muffin Man

I saw a vacuum pack of scrapple the other day. Since I have couple tins left of Hormel Corned Beef I didn't stop to look. Sure, not the same, but similiar damage. ???

Saw these, upstanding local breweries, but I don't drink Pils. Thought about shipping some to you Mort but that's kinda exuberant. ;D

I had that 2 kings at the counter but we looked at the date and it was Apr 2022. Great brewery but I put it back since it had over a year of warehouse grim all over it. I was planning to wash it until seeing the date. Picked up a Black Raven IPA fresh date.

Post Alley is Pike PLace Market

Muffin Man

Found a good use for the Valentina seasoning. Tumbled corn cob in its husks in avacado oil. Not sure if that did anything, baked in oven. Oohh, it came out okay, then the seasoning..bam!

30 Day aged Canadian Ribeye. Actually, ahem, best steak I've had in recent memory..which was a relief considering cost. The Portugese roll was soo good, toasty warm. JOE BEEF Montreal sauce, first I've seen of it. Oh it's good. Cottage cheese with parsely.

Anywho, the butcher put in an aging locker so it was cool to try. Cast iron on the stovetop.

Pissy

I have an idea for corn on the cob. 

Grilled in the husk, then charred with smoke after shucking.  Dip it in Alabama white bbq sauce, sprinkle with fine but crispy bacon crumbles.  Enjoy.  
Vinyls.   deal.

RAGER

How's that Valentina stand up to good ol' Tajin?
No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

Tajin? I've never even heard of it! Variety 6 pack for $20. Should I get that, or just a single item? Then I could compare - the Valentina didn't work for me until the corn cob. Love it there.

mortlock

not far off from an elote with that corn.

RAGER

Yeah it's a ways off but sounds good.
No Focus Pocus

RAGER

Went to a birthday party on Sunday. We grilled Australian Wagyu/picanha steaks and cooked a bunch of shrimp and scallops on the Evo.

Dudes stepdad owned a re-bar company and made this steak turner. Kinda cool.

I brought an Italian salsa verde and a naam jim kinda thinking I'd get mixed reviews but everybody devoured it. Good time.
No Focus Pocus

Pissy

You don't need one of those. 

I'll send you one of my plates for the Weber.  I've been Meaning to get back to the fab shop, and have some of those made.

You have the 18" weber, correct?  Just let me know if you want full solid (with reliefs for airflow), full fluted or half and half. 
Vinyls.   deal.

RAGER

Sweet. Lemme make sure but I also bought a small 2 burner gas Nexgrill.

Oh yeah I'm not spending that kinda money on any thing like that.
No Focus Pocus

RAGER

Yo morty!  Your kinda close to one of Matty Mathesons restaurants called Rizzos House of Parm.

Check it. Right up your alley.

https://rizzoshouseofparm.com/

Here's Matty making a Porchetta. I still have a pork belly from Tails and Trotters. Might do my own in the next couple days.

No Focus Pocus

mortlock

Did you read the rules and regs? Lots of rules. Side of spaghetti is $9.

RAGER

You mean the FAQ?  Seems pretty standard. Doesn't leave you guessing. That's good.

Reviews say portions are big. It's in Canada so prices are CDN right. So Spagoots is $6.63. Everything is scratch made there except the canned San Marzanos but he's got a farm close by to maybe tomatoes from there for the sauces. Nothing seems out of line there. If I lived that close I might make the drive.
No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

note that the $9 side (side to $23 chicken parm) is spiraled into a haystack, so paying for aesthetics, and the thrill/theatre. I looked at the wings, couldn't figure out the photo but if its parm wings...I will have to try that stat. A lot of breading or something.. they look gooood. I hope they are actually strips/fingers/boneless. Anyway, I need a recipe for boneless parm strips. Baked, or stovetop pan fried.

that chicken parm looks the part. I really miss my old Italian place. They did a chicken parm in a ceramic dish hot out of the oven.  Oven hot. "watch out the dish is HOT" That was so good. I never really ordered anything else off their menu except the ravioli. You could get their ravioli half and half -plated one half ravioli, one half spaghetti. Always ordered that or the chicken parm. Walls painted with Italian scenes, grapes, the whole 9. Everyone there was a regular, Some booths for 4 or 8-10. Dark inside, dimmed lighting. Barn-doors from the kitchen, servers pushing out into the dinning room,. Clanging glasses. oh, they had fresh tomato juice too.

Pissy

I'm just gonna go on record here.  I'm making Memphis style ribs coming up here soon, saw a recipe that called for "sweet paprika" in the rub.  I just bought some, it was 8.49 for 2 oz.  Then I tasted it.  It doesn't have much taste at all.  

Paprika is a bullshit spice. 
Vinyls.   deal.

RAGER

Smoked paprika is different but I'm pretty much with ya. I'd probably ignore anything about "sweet paprika" and just use regular.
No Focus Pocus

RAGER

Decided to finally crack into this last bit of history. What a great pork store. They had a fire and lost all their inventory including all their aged prosciutto. They rebuilt, Covid got them. I live Portland but it's really lacking in a few things I think because of its size (small) and sprawl.

Anyways, I miss the pork store so I made a rolled pork belly. Porchetta.

Butterflied, scored, seasoned and trussed.

Crispy, craggy, crunchy and salty.

No Focus Pocus

mortlock

i think i might try and snag one of these tomorrow. porchetta italiano. "A delicious sandwich with slow-cooked shredded pork, sautéed broccoli rabe and melted sharp provolone." - from the fb rubinos page. might do a dcs tour episode. its only available for a week and its over sunday.

Pissy

Rager, were you inspired by the dude in the Canadian Italian restaurant vid you're trying to get Morty to check out?  

I saw him in a Doordash commercial last night.  I guess he's popular on social media?
Vinyls.   deal.

RAGER

Yes and no. I just needed an excuse to cook that pork belly. If you look at the date on it, I've had it stashed a while. Haven't done a Porchetta like that in a long time. Kellie liked it a lot more then. Thought she would. She doesn't lije a lot of the things she used to. Gets turned off by fat on meat. Eh.
No Focus Pocus