The food and drink forum blog thread.

Started by RAGER, April 22, 2013, 11:31:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lftwng4

I had a pizza once with artichokes, smoked gouda, pepperoni, and they drizzled a spicy honey on it. 
Way better than I anticipated.

RAGER

I've come to determine that I really don't care much for new age Thai food done up artsy like. Meh. Tried a place last week called Thai Farmhouse Kitchen. Cool looking lace in an old house on Hawthorne. There used to be a legit place about across the street called simply Chiang Mai. In its place now is a place serving Khao Moo Dang a few ways called Khao
Moo Dang. Been there once. It's pretty good.

But my favorite is the Original Pok Pok on Division serving Northern Thai mainly. And rustic without pomp and glory. Ricker has a new location above Pok Pok NW called Ping Yang Pow that I have yet to try. It seems a little hoighty but sparse.

At the place we went last week I had a yum muu krob and was very disappointed that the greens were nothing more than the spring mix you get in the store. The Khao yum was marginal also. I love the Khao yum at Hat Yai I but that's a different place altogether. We go there for the chicken obvs.
No Focus Pocus

Lumpy

Kind of like why I prefer traditional styles and not fusion... traditional style doesn't need to be fixed, it's not an improvement. It's hard enough to do it the traditional way without taking liberties. Traditional style is hard to find done well so it's a treat to find. It's already been "fusioned" probably (Chinese influence etc) anyway.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

RAGER

Yep. I'm very fortunate to have access to Pok Pok   He's such an obsessive weirdo that it has to be done right and authentic. Shit he's been in Thailand for months.
No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

When you first mentioned it I got the book, Pok Pok, from the library. Only skimmed through it though. If I'm lucky enough to make to his place I'd for sure order whole fish: (oh boy, Pork belly & shoulder red curry, for sure)

from NW

https://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/pok-pok-nw-portland

RAGER

It's soooo frickin good. Come on down.
No Focus Pocus

socket

Got a dickhead meal for you College Ruled Cunts.

I've been vegan (mostly) for the past few months. Lotsa hockey this weekend and needed some sustainance.

Thick cut BLT with some pasta salad and some Fat Heads Hop Juju. Suck my dick.
Don't feed the trolls... and don't be a pussy.

RAGER

Hey that actually looks edible. Congrats.

Why vegan? 
No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

RAGER, next time I'm in Portland! Would love to run through a menu, or two, with you.

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

socket

My ex wife went veg, I don't know, let's say 10 years ago. Me maybe 8 due to convenience? Just trying to eat healthier and drop some weight so I dropped the dairy a few months ago. Also you (regular) meat eaters are savages.
Don't feed the trolls... and don't be a pussy.

RAGER

I was a vegetarian for 13 years waaaay back before you could reasonably source good quality meat. I could never afford to buy a half hog or side of beef cuz that was about the only way to get the good stuff.
No Focus Pocus

Lumpy

Washington Post has some Thai recipes including one from Pok Pok guy.

I don't know why there's a lentil curry recipe, that's just... ???

I think you need a subscription to read the post...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/voraciously/wp/2020/03/07/bring-bold-thai-flavors-to-your-cooking-with-these-6-recipes/

RAGER

Lentils huh? 

Pok Pok recipe is super easy. Chinese influence for sure.
Haven't seen it in the restaurant but I think it's in the noodle cookbook.
No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

Finally made it to Hmart for big haul. Here's some. Acquired some weird stuff too like dried fish, 3 kinds of those. Seaweed, Kelp, fresh greens I never heard of. Poor selection of fish sauce so instead gambled on that anchovy sauce. Many kinds dried noodle, miso. Many kinds of frozen fish acquired. Wierdest of the bunch, the duck eggs? I didn't get anything shown in the display cases but that fish cake I got - the package says to fried it and swirl in eggs! Seems I'm in for making fishy soup, did not make a plan. Oh, some pieces to the Kim chi puzzle, too. That anchoy has kimchi pictured. hmmm

IMG-4848" border="0
IMG-4847" border="0
IMG-4849" border="0
IMG-4822" border="0
IMG-4825" border="0
IMG-4821" border="0
IMG-4826" border="0
IMG-4827" border="0
IMG-4829" border="0
IMG-4828" border="0
IMG-4831" border="0

got the cheese toast at bakery place. The loaf is red bean.

IMG-4835" border="0
IMG-4844" border="0
IMG-4843" border="0
IMG-4845" border="0
IMG-4846" border="0

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

Lumpy

I need to go to H-Mart too... the one I go to has good prepared foods (seafood pancakes, ban chan, raw beef and pork stir fries ready-to-go, etc). I guess I don't like to cook that much?

Trader Joe has Red Boat fish sauce, I saw that tonight for the first time. In a bottle small enough that I might actually use it up.

Muffin Man

Hmart 3-crabs fish sauce recommendation no luck draw, pass on managers special. Rager said so, long-time

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

Jor el

What Would Scooby Do ?

RAGER

The 40 degree North is fine. I have som Bourbon barrel aged Reserve too and the padaek like stuff but the first one is really good.
No Focus Pocus

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

mortlock

i have no idea what that is but it looks amazing.