The food and drink forum blog thread.

Started by RAGER, April 22, 2013, 11:31:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RAGER

I also made some pesto. Don't do much pasta but I got these carrots with big beautiful tops and couldn't let them go to waste. Just a touch of mint and a little basil but mainly the tops.

No Focus Pocus

RAGER

I smoked about a 2lb chunk of pork shoulder yesterday too. I don't do a lot of smoking but this turned out really tender and juicy. Not bad for not really trying. The rub I made is salty spicy and sweet in that order.

No Focus Pocus

mortlock

Scored this the other day. I didnt know these came with keys to open.

socket

Don't feed the trolls... and don't be a pussy.

Muffin Man

Boughta jar of Vlassic "polish dill" I'd be shocked if i like them.

Ren, "I'll let you know"

RAGER

Claussen's. In the refrigerated aisle.
No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

Oh, that one.

edit: Claussen. Bought the whole, they had halves. Very crunchy! High marks for that but I had to thow the last 1/5th of the pickle out. Don;t know what Imma do with the jar now. Extremely, and IMNSHO, grossly overly salty. Massive sodium. One of the worst pickles I've ever had thank you.

/sorry. I get all riled up talking abut pickles and, avacados.

RAGER

We buy the planks or spears. Who eats a whole damn pickle. Of course it's gonna be a salt bomb. BRINE.

ANYWAYS. I got some inspiration. Imma do some chicken on my days off flavored with lime, kampot peppercorns, long pepper, and tellicherry peppercorns.
No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

Quote from: RAGER on August 02, 2020, 03:32:59 PM
We buy the planks or spears. Who eats a whole damn pickle. Of course it's gonna be a salt bomb. BRINE.

ANYWAYS. I got some inspiration. Imma do some chicken on my days off flavored with lime, kampot peppercorns, long pepper, and tellicherry peppercorns.

I do. haha, but yeah the Claussen is kinda big to eat whole all the time. I'm marinating my hambuger meat, Double R ground "Waygu". Salt, pepper, cumin, szechuan pepper powder, worcestershire. I'll butter toast the bun too! Bacon lettuce cheese no tomato.

Muffin Man

Quote from: mortlock on August 02, 2020, 05:44:52 PM
Make sure you take pics of the smashburger. I need to be critical of it.

I will! Am I doing it correct? Make a ball, not too tight, set on cast iron and smash down? That worked last time. Oh, big slab of butter, putting that down first then ball.

Should I use mozzarella or cheddar this time?

RAGER

Whichever but smash burgers are thin so to melt the cheese while not overcooking the meat ya gotta do a restaurant trick. Ya squirt a little water in the pan and be ready to cap a lid on it quick For just a few seconds.
No Focus Pocus

mortlock

thats pretty much it. only use american cheese. it melts fast and works the best with the juiciness of the burger. mozz might work, wont taste right and cheddar doesnt melt fast enough.

RAGER

Per my trick it will. Done hundreds.
No Focus Pocus

mortlock

im talking about something in muffins skill set. dont embarrass him.

Muffin Man

I solved everything with Roquefort. Thanks for the restaurant trick, I saw the diner cook do that with bacon. An aha! moment. They alwyas had the best bacon, I could never figure out how he did it until then.

Okay butter toasted bun, kept warm in the oven. I had the same probem as last time, crumbly patty. I was lucky to get it out of the pan in almost one piece. Flavor profile was terrific!  (a little salty what with that cheese and salt and worcestershire). Probably the tastiest burger I've made! The toasted and soft (heavy butter) bun did help. Red drips is hot oil, just a smidge drizzled on mayo layer. There's more bacon hiding underneath. Next time, maybe later tonite, I'll use America cheese. Roguefort hit the spot on this one.

ps. Instead of butter under smash I used peanut oil.

Morty, let's have a look at your smashburger sometime!

mortlock

i got to say that looks pretty good. bacon looks a little weird but im sure its good. its bacon.
mustard onion mayo dill pickle.

mortlock

ive been working with the white american cheese instead of the orange. it better on a burger. orange is better on pink meats like ham and baloney and hotdogs.

RAGER

In a diner typ the bacon was probably cooked off first then hits the flat top then with "the trick". Voila! 

Both those burgs look good. You gonna have another one tonight?  Damn. Goin big.
No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

Never heard of white american. Jalepenos is better with white cheese too. Dang, I forgot the poblano. The diner cook had extra crispy if you wanted it. That's the part that puzzled me, how did he plate perfectly crispy in 2 minutes as if it was just cooked. voila!

neighbor664

Pootted forth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RAGER

Blueberry? 

Doing burgers again tonight.
No Focus Pocus

mortlock

Pics of the inside this time please.

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man