The food and drink forum blog thread.

Started by RAGER, April 22, 2013, 11:31:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pissy

Those wings are pretty famous.  To quote the Pok Pok cookbook, "they pay the mortgage at the restaurant".  
Vinyls.   deal.

RAGER

The event says 5 Courses PokPok's Greatest Hits. Here's what it will probably be.

Thua thawt samun phrai as we are seated and conversing with a drink. Hopefully doesn't count as a course (the killer peanuts with lime leaf, garlic and chilis (I also add dried shrimp to mine)

The Damn Wings (they really are good but...)

Papaya PokPok (som tam Isaan)

Laap muu

Khao soi neua

Khao niaw mamuang (mango sticky rice with sweet coconut cream for dessert.

That would be pretty tame and Portland would be ecstatic. Except for me. I'll enjoy it though.

Now, he could totally turn shit upside down (I doubt it because he's trying to make money of course) and take my advice lololololo. Yeah right.

My menu.

The peanuts my way as we drink a whiskey soda with Singha beer backs

Jin Tup with naam phrik kha (hammered flank steak with msg and chilis pounded in) another Singha please.
My housemade fried chicken backs with Rager Thai sauce (the stuff we had at SparkleMotions house)

Sup naw mai plaa meuk (Isaan bamboo shoot salad with squid)

Pick one
Sai krawk Isaan with jaew (fermented pork and rice sausage.
Naem sii khrong muu with naam phrik num (fried sour pork ribs)
Another Singha please

Pick one
Kuaytiew reua (real boat noodles)
Khanom jiin naam ngiew (rice noodles with pork in northern curry)

Tamarind whiskey smash

Khanom bataeng laai (melon custard)

What the hello? Another tamarind whiskey smash.  Why not? Oh they want me to leave

Now get the fuck out already!  You been heeya fo' hour! 

One can dream.

No Focus Pocus

Pissy

Sounds like it's gonna be a good time regardless.  
Vinyls.   deal.

Muffin Man

Quote from: Pissy on August 23, 2024, 08:48:10 AMThose wings are pretty famous.  To quote the Pok Pok cookbook, "they pay the mortgage at the restaurant". 

Ok I think I did doth protest too much! I'll give it a go. I have everything on hand except the chicken.

https://www.pdxmonthly.com/eat-and-drink/2013/10/make-pok-poks-famous-wings-at-home-october-2013

Ike's Fish-Sauce Wings

(Serves 4–8)

8 garlic cloves, peeled
    1 tsp kosher salt
    1/4 cup warm water
    1/2 cup Vietnamese fish sauce (Ricker recommends Phu Quoc or Three Crabs brand)
    1/2 cup superfine sugar
    2 lbs medium-size chicken wings (about 12), split at the joint
    Vegetable oil (for frying)
    1 cup rice flour
    1/4 cup tempura batter mix (Ricker recommends Gogi brand)
    1/4 cup water
    Optional: 1–2 tsp naam phrik khao soi (roasted chile paste, for "spicy wings")

Muffin Man

"muu paa kham wan, tender wild boar collars scented with chili and glazed on the grill, and khao phot ping, charcoal-charred corn on the cob with salted coconut cream. "
https://www.pdxmonthly.com/eat-and-drink/2024/08/pok-pok-pop-up-jeju

Wild boar collars?

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

Pissy

Vinyls.   deal.

RAGER

Quote from: Muffin Man on August 23, 2024, 01:43:42 PM"muu paa kham wan, tender wild boar collars scented with chili and glazed on the grill, and khao phot ping, charcoal-charred corn on the cob with salted coconut cream. "

Wild boar collars?

I hadn't seen that yet. That's really encouraging. The boat was one of my favorite menu items. I had corn similar to that at Whiskey Soda Lounge several years ago. I've seen him cook that at a couple other pop ups. I really hope it's pork forward.

I really can't say how lucky I got. There's another reason. Had I got tickets on the 8th there would been consequences and I may have had to make a responsible decision and not go. I have full blood panel Monday morning the 9th. Fukn bum ticker. So I'll be good to go to eat sone salty spicy pork on the evening of the 9th. Haha!  However, I do have to go see the doctor on the 11th   
No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

Quote from: RAGER on August 23, 2024, 02:46:26 PM
Quote from: Muffin Man on August 23, 2024, 01:43:42 PM"muu paa kham wan, tender wild boar collars scented with chili and glazed on the grill, and khao phot ping, charcoal-charred corn on the cob with salted coconut cream. "

Wild boar collars?

I hadn't seen that yet. That's really encouraging. The boat was one of my favorite menu items. I had corn similar to that at Whiskey Soda Lounge several years ago. I've seen him cook that at a couple other pop ups. I really hope it's pork forward.

I really can't say how lucky I got. There's another reason. Had I got tickets on the 8th there would been consequences and I may have had to make a responsible decision and not go. I have full blood panel Monday morning the 9th. Fukn bum ticker. So I'll be good to go to eat sone salty spicy pork on the evening of the 9th. Haha!  However, I do have to go see the doctor on the 11th   

be well my friend. talk nice to the ticker too. Oh yes no doubt you lucked into the Ricker seating - well, excellent psychic timing, actually. Sure as heck you deserve it. You'll bring the book for him to sign? skip that, bring the knife and buy a permanent pen- the metallic silver thick point Sharpie will work excellent*. I have one of those and it's worthy, let me know if you want the sku. * an electric engraver is the best. I brought my electric guitar body totwo shows - took the neck off, checked the body with security...after rock show I got it signed. total nerd move but got 'er done.

Pissy

I hope your procedure is both successful and beneficial.  
Vinyls.   deal.

mortlock

rager take care of yourself. keep us posted.

RAGER

Whoa hold up. No procedure just a full blood panel and medication change. Thanks for the concerns though.
No Focus Pocus

Pissy

Ok, i guess I don't really know what a blood panel is.  They look at blood on a panel of slides under a microscope or something?  
Vinyls.   deal.

RAGER

Probably. My job is to watch my diet and alcohol intake then show up to let them draw blood. Then go back a couple days later and meet with doc to discuss results and or possibly a change in medication.
No Focus Pocus

Pissy

Ahh.  Then yes, quite fortunate that your dinner event happens after that.  
Vinyls.   deal.

RAGER

Have you ever set a microwave to 12 minutes? 

No Focus Pocus

RAGER

The PokPok pop up was last night. Had a really great time and had a chance to chat with Andy for a bit.

They served everything in 2 flights. Pics of menu below.

They had Olympia Provisions provide the sai ua sausage. It was herbaceous but lacked any heat. The texture was very commercial and not rustic like I remember it. It was just ok. No jeaw but nam phrik that wasn't very spicy either but had good flavor. Wings were the wings. But man the boar collar was really good. Spicy, zingy, limey. Really good.

This next flight had a very sweet gaeng hang lay. Very tender. The laap was very good too. I really like the mushroom nam tok. I'll be making it soon. I'm way way long past ordering Brussels sprouts in a restaurant. I ate half one. Meh.

Tamarind whiskey sour. I'd had this a few times but usually ordered a whiskey soda and Singhas while at Pok Pok. But whenever I go to Hat Yai I get their tamarind whiskey smash.

Menus

No Focus Pocus