Can someone school me on April Wine?

Started by The Shocker, February 11, 2011, 07:45:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Shocker

Heard some on a movie soundtrack (High Life) and liked what I heard.  Don't really know anything about them other than they are Canadian.  Where to start?

MR. CREEPER

April Wine Rocks is a great album. High Roller, and some other great jams on this one. Cool riffs, great tones, and just some kick ass 70's rock, albeit Canadian style. Think more Triumph than Rush.

The Shocker

GodShifter

The "good" albums are Stand Back & The Nature Of The Beast, imo. Pretty solid. Harder ... Faster has a couple of decent tunes but, overall, isn't great.

The Shocker

Listened to Nature of the Beast, pretty cheesy IMO.  A few decent songs.  The soundtrack had some slow stoner type songs from them, definitely not like Just Between You And Me...  Roller was one of them, maybe You Could Been a Lady?  Maybe I'll have to track down a greatest hits and go from there.  Not sure if they are really an album band.     

GodShifter

Oh, there's no question that The Nature of the Beast is cheesy 80's schmaltz, but it does represent their best work, I believe. So, that probably says something right there. Stand Back has some decent hard rock tunes, too, but, yes, AP is probably best experienced in limited doses and with a greatest hits/best of package.

CanookieWookie

The Shocker

Have now listened to the old Greatest Hits and The Nature Of The Beast and there seems to be A LOT of filler, even on the greatest hits album.  When the songs are good, they're really good, but too many ballads/love/pop songs...

jibberish

april wine had way lots of filler. i like the tune "roller"

as a recommendation, i can only recommend harder...faster as a decent album from what i heard way long ago