Main Menu

How many amps?

Started by Ranbat, May 12, 2013, 08:25:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave J

I only have two:

1. JCM 800 2203 100 Watts
2. 1959 Reissue SL Plexi with Splawn Mod

I also have a Marshall 1960a 4x12 and a shitty Crate 4x12 I'm trying to get rid of.
"I wish I could talk in technicolor." -- volunteer housewife during acid experiment circa 1956

"Look at me! Look at me! Look at me now!
It is fun to have fun, but you have to know how."
--Cat In The Hat

Lumpy

I have two heads I should sell... a Plush PS1000, and a Guild Thunderbass. The Plush is a tough one because it needs a tune up, meaning I will lose even more money on it (I overbid by maybe 100 bucks on Ebay... 400 dollar purchase).
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

mortlock

peavey micro bass
peavey bandit 112
peavey kb-300
peavey mark VI head
ampeg 4x10 cab
ampeg b-100r 1x15

VOLVO)))

Mesa Boogie Dual Rec, 2 channel
'86 Marshall JCM800
Sunn Beta Lead
Acoustic 370
Blackheart Little Giant
Peavey Sheffield loaded 4x12s, one slant, one straight.
Peavey 810TVX
Fender Dual Showman 2x15
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Lip

I have a Marshall RI 1987XL - 50 watt and a Traynor YBA 1A - w/ kt88s in it... The Traynor sounds pretty nice for bass - as its a bass amp - but I deff prefer it for guitar. I need a new bass amp - I think I have had enough 100lb tube monsters... My last bass amp was a MarkBass LittleTube 800 - I ran it with a JHS LOw Drive in front of it - through an Orange 4x10 - sounded fkkn awesome. And the amp fit into my shoulder bag and weighed like 5 lbs - lol.
Last night I heard the ghetto bird circle.... as I was eatin' fish.... and watchin' Erkel...

showdown

I'm up to 6 now...

bass:
Trace Elliot 4x10" combo with extra 4x10" cab

guitar:
Ibanez Valbee combo
Peavey Bandit 1x12 combo
Peavey Valveking 1x12 combo
Laney Lionheart 20 head, 2x12 cab with vintage (1965) Celestion G12s
Laney GH50L head, 4x12 cab with Celestion G12-80s

I don't really use the Peaveys, they're too loud for home use and I have the Laneys for band rehearsals. I got the Valveking just because it was cheap and I thought it would be a good candidate for modding (which it is, I just haven't gotten around to it yet).

MR. CREEPER

I had 5, disassembled 2 for experimentation. Still had a Carvin MTS 3200 head w/ Carvin 2X12 cab, a '74 Acoustic 4X12(big one like old Marshall vintage tall cab) a V16 Palomino combo, and a Epi Valve Jr head and 1X12 cab.
I was so impressed by Epi's simplicity and the discovery that I really didn't NEED a huge rig for jamming, recording, etc that I traded in Carvin and Palomino for a Marshall DSL 15 head. Still have all the cabs(1x12, 2x12, 4x12) which can be used for the Marshall and Epi heads, and have never felt better.
You truly can not enjoy the tone from a cranked 100 watt head the same as a lower wattage head pushed. You can actually HEAR all the tonal variables versus hearing for a second before going deaf, and blind from the sheer rage of a big amp.

VOLVO)))

Question about that Traynor...

Ask yourself...

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

RAGER

I got a bunch of dusty old run o the mill 100 watters.  Ya know, Marshall, Orange , Fender, Sunn, crap like that.
No Focus Pocus

VOLVO)))

Sounds like you're compensating for something. :-D

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

RAGER

Yes.  When I was a child I was so poor I couldn't even afford one 100 watter, just a Peavey.
No Focus Pocus

clockwork green

Electric 120 non-master
Matamp GTL140
Sound City 120 (heavily modified by Roccaforte as a prototype)
Sunn Beta Lead
Sunn Coliseum slave (used as a bass amp)
Sunn Concert slave (used as a bass amp)
Fender Champ 500 w/Mercury Magnetics mod kit
'57 Fender Harvard
Vox Nighttrain

Matamp 4x12 w/EV 12L
Matamp 2x15 w/Big Ben's
Mesa Thiele
Sunn 215B
Mesa 2x15
JBl 2x15
Marshall 1960a Weber Michigan's
No name 1x15 w/EV
Sunn 212LH

I have more stuff than I use but can't seem to sell anything and I also can't seem to stop adding.
"there's too many blanks in your analogies"

dunwichamps

0 Amps
2 Emperor 4x12s.

taylo)))r

Only one of those or120s is mine. 1977.
(insert interesting quote)

Jake

I find myself using these "amps" a lot these days. They sound surprisingly good – great even, through studio monitors. And there's near infinite configurations with all the options/effects/cabinets/mics available.

poop.

RAGER

I don't see a Dimble in there. ;D
No Focus Pocus

showdown

Guitar Rig is a lot of fun, with all those possibilities and combinations. Try the AC30, all dimed, into an Ampeg 8x10 sometime :)

mulekicker

Relating to possibilities and combinations, i recently picked up a used Eganater Tweaker 15 combo and have fallen in love with it.  I've always kinda written off the Egnater stuff as being for the Guitar Center crowd, like Bugera or Line 6. On a whim, I tried out the Tweaker and was blown away.  It's got a ton of solid, different tones inside of it. It's loud for a 15 watt. Has a relatively good amount of headroom (for a lower wattage amp). Is a really good pedal platform (although i've been plugging straight in), and they are fuckin cheap. You can really dial in a lot of convincing sounds on this thing, almost like a modeling amp but real and organic sounding. You can also swap out power tubes (ships with 6v6) to el34, 6l6, kt's and the like with no biasing or fuckin around. Long story short, if anyones in the market for a cheap, low wattage amp, don't sleep on these. You can find the heads on craigslist for around 300 bucks.

the diddler

Most of my shit lives in storage at the moment, so I gotta think a little.....

Soldano HotRod 100+
Plush 1060s
Verellen Louckshammer
Mesa Mini Recto w/1x12 cab
Dunwich Metro 50watt
Mesa 4x12
Verellen 4x12
Ampeg 2x12

Tried to get rid of some shit earlier this year and only succeeded in selling a Beta Lead which, of course, I wish I still had.

everdrone

too many!

2 home practice amps

3 solid state bass amps

1 thunderverb 50 Orange guitar amp

modelers ;)

yet, I still want more.  more cabs too.  for amps I want an Orange Dual Terror and a hovercraft :)

Instant Dan

Not enough :'(

-Marshall 2204

- Avatar 'Marshall-style' 4x12 with G12H30/Vintage 30 mix.

-Epiphone Valve Junior 1x8 combo

I'd like to pick up a Mesa Boogie 50 Caliber Plus again or a 6-knobber Laney Pro Tube. Definitely a 1x12 tube combo in my future.

the diddler

Quote from: clockwork green on May 16, 2013, 11:21:16 AM
Electric 120 non-master
Matamp GTL140
Sound City 120 (heavily modified by Roccaforte as a prototype)
Sunn Beta Lead
Sunn Coliseum slave (used as a bass amp)
Sunn Concert slave (used as a bass amp)
Fender Champ 500 w/Mercury Magnetics mod kit
'57 Fender Harvard
Vox Nighttrain

Matamp 4x12 w/EV 12L
Matamp 2x15 w/Big Ben's
Mesa Thiele
Sunn 215B
Mesa 2x15
JBl 2x15
Marshall 1960a Weber Michigan's
No name 1x15 w/EV
Sunn 212LH

I have more stuff than I use but can't seem to sell anything and I also can't seem to stop adding.

You got rid of the Elmwood?  pretty sure it was you that had one of them......

clockwork green

Yeah I had the Modena M90. Great amp but just not what I was looking for in a high gain head. It overlapped more with my Matamp's sonically, well it sounded like them with a good overdrive in the front like my Sonic Titan. I sold it to cover my first EGC.

Chovie D

57 ...as in original?    fender harvard ????

clockwork green

Yeah, it's a real '57. It's been modified decades ago to hold a 12" instead of the 10".