Main Menu

Recommend me a bass.

Started by spookstrickland, May 16, 2013, 04:21:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbottom

grimniggzy

Try to find an OLP Stingray

spookstrickland

Well I went to a lot of places and tried out basses.  I found that I really liked the Mustang Jazz bass it felt really good in my hand and sounded pretty good.  The best sounding one was this "Jay Turser" p bass copy and for 125bucks I almost got it but it was done up in a really gay looking rosey/pink stain.

I might just order a Mustang on line though.
I'm beginning to think God was an Astronaut.
www.spookstrickland.com
www.tombstoner.org

dogfood

The excitement lies in the hunt, not the kill.  Take your time.  You know you are going to slay something let it be good.  For the love of god do not order online, hunt your prey.
Problem solving whiskey!

jibberish

Quote from: spookstrickland on June 04, 2013, 08:46:33 PM
Well I went to a lot of places and tried out basses.  I found that I really liked the Mustang Jazz bass it felt really good in my hand and sounded pretty good.  The best sounding one was this "Jay Turser" p bass copy and for 125bucks I almost got it but it was done up in a really gay looking rosey/pink stain.

I might just order a Mustang on line though.

I think that would cancel all your prior work. the idea was to find the winner in the sea of low end by actually playing it.
so you are back to square one ordering sight unseen. right?  you were supposed to buy the pink one. there is spray paint for 99 cents at walmart

grimniggzy

I think a pinkish bass is kinda cool in its own way anyway

RacerX

Besides, the Mustang is a short scale bass. Is that really what you want?
Livin' The Life.

VOLVO)))

Pinkish bass would rule. Thinking things aren't worth playing because of a color is gay, not the color itself.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

RacerX

I always enjoy these threads requesting advice and then disregarding all of it.

They're like slo-mo train wrecks.
Livin' The Life.

Chovie D

Quote from: RacerX on June 05, 2013, 01:02:43 PM
I always enjoy these threads requesting advice and then disregarding all of it.

They're like slo-mo train wrecks.

yup, pretty much happens in every one of these threads. also, we never get to find out what was eventually selected. Its like telling Booggiemama which guitar ot get for he kid or something...useless and aggravating.

mustang is a small scale,it felt great in your hands because you're a guitar player.
when you want low end on that thing...good luck. The mustang and musicmaster basses are cool but they are short scale treblish basses.
Cop Shoot Cop listed their personel as: Nantz-low end bass
Todd A-high end bass

Look whos playing the mustang

also ordering a fender online is foolish when there are so many available ot try and buy. you need to PLAY the thing first or risk getting a dog.

spookstrickland

You guys are right, Fuck it.  I'll just hang on to my Money until the right bass crosses my path.
www.spookstrickland.com
www.tombstoner.org

Lumpy

I'm pretty sure the Ibanez ATK basses have a small neck, which will feel comfortable in your hands. Fenders (and off-brand Precision copies and Jazz copies) have relatively beefy necks. Look at some of the ATK basses. If you can spend a little more, the Ibanez SRX series is really nice.

This is a dumb tip but I think it works pretty well if you are overwhelmed with choices... look at what other people are using. You're not stuck with just Fender/Squier, that is a good place to start but there are plenty of other good basses out there. I still would not suggest a short scale bass. In the long run you'll be better off with a long scale, even if it's a harder transition at first. IMO.

Keep shopping. Ask the dudes at the stores to suggest a long scale bass that has an easy-to-play neck, not too expensive.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

moose23

If you're after a fairly small neck then the Squier Classic Vibe Jazz is worth checking out.

spookstrickland

Quote from: Lumpy on June 05, 2013, 09:37:02 PM
I'm pretty sure the Ibanez ATK basses have a small neck, which will feel comfortable in your hands. Fenders (and off-brand Precision copies and Jazz copies) have relatively beefy necks. Look at some of the ATK basses. If you can spend a little more, the Ibanez SRX series is really nice.

This is a dumb tip but I think it works pretty well if you are overwhelmed with choices... look at what other people are using. You're not stuck with just Fender/Squier, that is a good place to start but there are plenty of other good basses out there. I still would not suggest a short scale bass. In the long run you'll be better off with a long scale, even if it's a harder transition at first. IMO.

Keep shopping. Ask the dudes at the stores to suggest a long scale bass that has an easy-to-play neck, not too expensive.

Good idea, thanks
www.spookstrickland.com
www.tombstoner.org