Main Menu

Amp Tech Thread / Ask a tech Q

Started by Hemisaurus, February 12, 2011, 05:36:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

liquidsmoke

http://www.eminence.com/support/wiring-diagrams/

So for wiring a 2x12 parallel I'll be pealing the plastic coating in one small spot for each wire to attach the branch off by twisting the connecting wire and then soldering and taping with electrical tape? I want to do this correctly. 8 ohms just makes sense so if I do end up using a solid state amp I'll have more power on tap but I can still use a tube amp as well.

VOLVO)))

Get push-on connectors. Never solder directly to the tabs.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

moose23

Get the push on connectors as sunno says for connecting to the speakers and run wires from both speaker negatives back to the jack socket on the cab and solder them both to sleeve of the jack. Then for the positive of each speaker run the two wires back to the tip of the jack socket and solder. No need for tape.

Hemisaurus

So you are getting two 16 ohm speakers, and wiring them in parallel for 8 ohms?

There's pluses and minuses with wiring direct to the speaker tab.

Pluses

• It's Cheap
  • It's a better connection, less power is lost than in a push-on

Minuses

• Less Flexible, if you want to change the wiring quickly
  • Might harm the resale value of the speaker, some people are funny about it

Also it's not always easy to find the right size of spade (push-on) clip, the ones at the auto store are too big usually.

I have speakers wired both ways, soldered on, and push on, but the best are the big PA drivers that have spring terminals on the speaker. ;D

VOLVO)))

I use high end gold spades. Any place that does car audio has them. If they're too big, they can be collapsed to fit tightly. Done it a thousand times. Never an issue.

i always crimp, then solder my spades to the wire. Then heatshrink or tape. Call it overkill, I call it thorough.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Hemisaurus

Car audio, those places are prolific, duh ::)

and then just push 'em on?

My preference is for tinned wire into a spring terminal, and if I'm pushing more than a few hundred watts, and don't have a spring terminal, I'm going to solder, that .5 ohm or so you might lose in the contact actually starts counting, and getting warm. For guitar cabs though, spade terminals make life much easier. You know that contact between two unlike metals is worse? So copper to gold, and then gold to whatever they make the terminal from, which now I think about it, I have no idea what that stuff is.

If you overkill the spade, your making it less flexible, and putting more strain on the tab on the speaker itself, so it may snap off, like running a lead pipe where you should use a flexible hose.

liquidsmoke

Ah.. fuck it, I'm taking it in, if the price is right. But thanks for the info.

Ayek

Don't do that, that's what the man wants you to do. Depending on your soldering skills, might be less risky and tidier to use spade connectors, though you'd ideally want the proper crimp tool for them. Get the uninsulated connectors so you can give 'em a squeeze if they're slighty loose and sloppy. Mmmmm. I wouldn't think you'd have issues as long as they're snug. You see them inside appliances with decent loads, such as in ovens on the energy regulators and thermostats and selector switches.

liquidsmoke

I'll have to see when I get the new speakers(on order) and open up the cab. I just want it to get done right and don't want to spend 6 hours on it.

VOLVO)))

We can just make you a simple diagram?

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Hemisaurus

He has the diagrams, he's just been confused by our conflicting opinions. I'm surprised companies don't sell wiring rigs, for speaker cabs, buy the jack, the spade leads etc. all in one pack, Sunn here's a golden business opportunity for you ;)

justinhedrick

Quote from: Hemisaurus on October 25, 2011, 03:23:28 PM
He has the diagrams, he's just been confused by our conflicting opinions. I'm surprised companies don't sell wiring rigs, for speaker cabs, buy the jack, the spade leads etc. all in one pack, Sunn here's a golden business opportunity for you ;)

that's a great idea. market them as "oxygen free, titanium plated, super leads"

Hemisaurus

Well there's Monster, so why not Gator for the swampboy, oh wait that's been taken already ;D

justinhedrick

Quote from: Hemisaurus on October 25, 2011, 03:39:41 PM
Well there's Monster, so why not Gator for the swampboy, oh wait that's been taken already ;D

hmm. that's a tough one . . . it's not nearly as easy as naming cables for our neck of the woods: Corn Country Cables! ;D

VOLVO)))

"Corn connectors"

or

"Haggis Rigs"

Don't take that shit in, and pay 40 bucks to fucking have someone pop on 6 connectors. That's straight-up bullshit, man.

I'll use some loose speakers around here, and take pictures for you. This is easier than tying shoes, no shit.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Metal and Beer

He's right bro, shit's super simple. 6 hours?? More like six minutes, tops

"It's cinchy!"
"Would it kill you fellas to play some Foghat?"

VOLVO)))

You can send me 40 bucks though...

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

moose23

For forty dollars I'd wire up a jack or two (for parallel wiring a second cab) to a bunch of spade connectors, label them clearly and post them from Ireland to wherever you are.

Hemisaurus

Quote from: SunnO))) on October 25, 2011, 04:11:50 PM
"Corn connectors"

or

"Haggis Rigs"

Don't take that shit in, and pay 40 bucks to fucking have someone pop on 6 connectors. That's straight-up bullshit, man.

I'll use some loose speakers around here, and take pictures for you. This is easier than tying shoes, no shit.

Dude, I'm covered don't you worry about me, when I make cables I

VOLVO)))

Say, Herb, you got a source for bulk instrument cable? I need to make my pedalboard a little less fuckin' dinky patch cably, and a little more "everything reaches and looks nice."

Angled male ends, too? Mouser?

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

liquidsmoke

I'm just burnt on equipment is all. I sing and play through 2 amps and I still don't have all the right gear yet and set up in the right way and it seems like I've been accumulating and setting up gear for a long time. But I know that I'm very close to having things right.

Okay so I get the right size spade leads(what size? can/should I get them at Radio Shack or at a car audio place? what do they look like?) hook up the wiring one of 2 ways and I don't need to solder anything? I will have to strip some wire though right? So I need a tool for that or can I just use a box cutter and be careful? Electric tape, I have that, I should use it, no?

Just ignore all of this aside from the spade leads part, I'm clueless on that.

Anyone want a brand new size medium Deep Purple Machine Head t-shirt? It doesn't have the album cover on it but it does have a picture of the band and it says Deep Purple Machine Head. If you might wear it I'll send it to you, just PM me. I'd wear it but I already have an In Rock album cover shirt.

Metal and Beer

Those pliers have a stripping element (the holes down by the handle) but I just melt a quarter inch of the plastic off w/ a lighter (Protip: Inhale the fumes, it makes the job more doomy. j/k) Twist the bare strands together tightly, insert into the end and staaaat clampin'. Tug to ensure it's tight (that's what she said)
"Would it kill you fellas to play some Foghat?"

VOLVO)))

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

liquidsmoke

Thanks guys.

I'll knock off the whining from here on out, I promise.

VOLVO)))

Burnt out? You have the rest of your life to do this, hahha.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.