'70's prog

Started by FloydianDragonaut, June 12, 2013, 02:08:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FloydianDragonaut

Any of you guys into progressive rock from the '70's? what are your favorite bands/albums?

I've always been into the bigger bands like Floyd, Yes, Rush, King Crimson etc
Been trying to get into the more obscure ones lately.

The Bandit

I like Gentle Giant ok.

thisissomeguy

If you're looking for recommendations for more obscure stuff, I like Mainhorse. It's a band Patrick Moraz was in in the early 70's before he joined The Nice spinoff Refugee, Yes and the Moody Blues. At least here in Canada there's multiple cheap copies of their self titled album from 1971 up on i-Tunes.

Their rockier moments sound like the Proggier moments of Deep Purple with Jon Lord dominating and there's two 10 minute tracks. The first one, Pale Sky sounds like early 70's Pink Floyd, the second, God has some moments that sound like the stuff Patrick would do later on in Refugee and Yes.
More intense than playing a game of Battleship with Roger Waters.

CanookieWookie

Starcastle
Duffy -  mix of prog/rock
Gravy Train
May Blitz - mix of prog/rock
Can
Genesis
Rush (early)
Supertramp
Wishbone Ash - mix or prog/rock
T2
Traffic  (later stuff)
Amon Duul II (mix)
ELP
Nektar
Frumpy

lowdaddy

i'm listening to atom heart mother right now.  i don't know shit about prog in general though.

this is a weird fucking album.
jon eats a whole raw potato to take himself out of the mood.

thisissomeguy

I was just listening to the MFSL edition of Atom Heart Mother. They must have been stoned out of their gourd when they made that but I do really like it, especially the mellow stuff on side two. Apparently Syd showed up briefly one day during the sessions. It would have been around the time Dave and Rick were working on Syd's second solo album.
More intense than playing a game of Battleship with Roger Waters.

FloydianDragonaut

I'm definitely going to check out Mainhorse. Never heard of them before but i've always dug Patrick Moraz on Yes' Relayer album.

Oh and Atom Heart Mother is great. One of their stranger albums for sure but still one of my favorites.
Is that MFSL one a vinyl record or one of those gold cds? I like their stuff. Just got some great sounding Grateful Dead records from them.

gorefather

Im well into the 70's proggscene. Somewhat it feels like they opened up ways for so much music in todays scenes.

Renaissance are pretty cool guys. Annie Haslam, that sings has a really nice touch to her voice that gives a somewhat psychedelic feeling.
Camel are also pretty awesome. Especilly the Mirage and Snow Goose album. Both are british.

Mephistopheles is a band that didnt get much attention imo, the album "In Frustration I hear Singing" has a wide range of music, pick it up if you can.
They are from america and have alot of blues infulences into their music.

Mr. Blue

I just discovered Nektar.  The album Remember The Future is incredible.
3 reasons why James said that his Black Sabbath record was important:
"First it scared the shit out of me. Second, it crushed the fuck out of all the peace'n'love'n everything's groovy bullshit that was still hanging around in the early seventies. And third, my friends moms wouldn't let them own it

Damocles74

Really have to get the Cressida (Shakespeare's 'Troilus and Cressida!) lost in time demos - Moody Blues meets (a more adept) Pink Floyd.

Very proud to have learned this bassline.

Redditor Lucis Aeternae

JLKOWAL

If you like YES, their very first keyboardist, TONY KAYE when he left the band formed a band called BADGER and released their first album as a live album - highly recommend it.

As for classic progressive rock, all of those bands were solid foundations - YES, KC, GENESIS, NEKTAR, GENTLE GIANT, CAMEL, CARAVAN, KANSAS, RUSH, FZAPPA.

Many more obscure and underground bands  like NOSFERATU and BLACK WIDOW made a mark in the scene. ;) 8)

RalphSnart_2

I stick to the early 70s
Nektar
Camel
Caravan
Genesis
Mahavishnu Orchestra
first Flash album
first Badger album
PFM, who are Italian but sound kind of like Genesis
Man, although they are more jammy than prog.

I don't know, that's just the essentials. Start with Nektar. Caravan and PFM if you like electric violin. Mahavishnu if you like electric violin and jazz fusion. Camel if you like geese. Genesis if you like flower costumes and bald drummers.

renfield

renfield

Already posted this but, fuck

Lumpy

^ I pretty much hate them - there were people in my high school who like them. They got some FM radio spins in the Philly area during the 70s ("Free Hand" etc). So I've been aware of them for a long time.

I have a friend who likes them, she says that they all switch around on instruments which is cool. But I still hate them.

I guessI could have just said the second part without the editorializing first, but "fish gotta fly" etc.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.