If you could have back one guitar/bass/drum kit...

Started by lordfinesse, June 21, 2013, 08:21:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lordfinesse

What would it be? 

Earlier today something made me think of the long gone guitar that saw the biggest improvement in my playing, when I was about 17-18yrs old.  A black Memphis superstrat style, with one humbucker, Gibson style speed knobs, and a rosewood fretboard.  It belonged to Pissy, who owned nearly all the gear I was using at the time.  He sold it without telling me, and I was pretty upset for a short time. I wasn't playing it anymore, but still.. It had been succeeded by a green Washburn kc-40v, then a brand new green Washburn mg-100 (both were stolen around '96). 
It's been nearly 20 years since I've seen that Memphis but I sure wish I had it.  I guess getting older makes you nostalgic for things from your youth. 

How about you guys? What's the one that got away?
Billy Squier 24/7

Mr. Foxen

Late 70s TJ mockingbird:

Took a good offer on it when I first moved to pay for sorting shit in my new house. Not really a regretted sale, because happy with the cash, ad bought the Cathedral Eagle to replace it later, but would still like it back.

VOLVO)))

"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

eddiefive10

My wife got pregnant and I dumped a ton of gear but I've had tons that got away!!

80's as black as black can be fender tele
2002 highway one pbass (truely my baby)
2002 Green Matamp GTV-Tc with matching 4x12
80 something neck through Kramer

jibberish

my ARP Odyssey. wtf was I thinking.....

the Oahu tube practice amp..

Metal and Beer

I know the thread title says "...one...", but:

Pre-CBS blonde Telecaster I bought in 1983 at GC in San Diego for 700 bucks. I "pawned" it to a friend in '85 who assured me he'd hold it for me, he sold it a couple years later. No hard feelings really, but it's probably worth 4,000 or 7,000 bucks now ?

My first "good" guitar I bought as a teenager, one of those SG's w/ the "harmonica" bridge , half-sized pickguard and brass nut ("SG II"? Mid-'70's era). At the time I couldn't figure out why the G string would go sharp so I sold it out of frustration. Obviously the nut slot was pinching the string but I didn't know that then....dumb kid !

I sold GrimNiggzy an Acoustic 370 I wouldn't mind having back   ;)
"Would it kill you fellas to play some Foghat?"

Demon Lung

Ibanez S series custom s guitar. Guitar was worth 2 grand and I traded it for a car when I was on hard times in my early 20s.

neighbor664

I had one of these in black. I forget why I sold it.
Been thinking about it lately because I've been gas-ing for a shredder guitar with a whammy that never goes out of tune.

Jake

poop.

Chovie D

cherry sunburst les paul deluxe 1983. traded it for a video camera in the early 90's...last weekend I finally broke down and took the ancient video camera to goodwill.  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

id also like to have back my grey ross compressor

spookstrickland

Quote from: jibberish on June 22, 2013, 05:47:23 AM

Isn't that the "Fly like and Eagle" synth?
I'm beginning to think God was an Astronaut.
www.spookstrickland.com
www.tombstoner.org

Pissy

Quote from: lordfinesse on June 21, 2013, 08:21:33 PM

What would it be? 

Earlier today something made me think of the long gone guitar that saw the biggest improvement in my playing, when I was about 17-18yrs old.  A black Memphis superstrat style, with one humbucker, Gibson style speed knobs, and a rosewood fretboard.  It belonged to Pissy, who owned nearly all the gear I was using at the time.  He sold it without telling me, and I was pretty upset for a short time. I wasn't playing it anymore, but still.. It had been succeeded by a green Washburn kc-40v, then a brand new green Washburn mg-100 (both were stolen around '96). 
It's been nearly 20 years since I've seen that Memphis but I sure wish I had it.  I guess getting older makes you nostalgic for things from your youth. 

How about you guys? What's the one that got away?

Ugh.. I'm never going to live that damn Memphis down.  BTW, It sounded like crap until we put the bridge P-90 AND the accompanying electronics from a Univox Hi-Flyer in it.  I recall clearly that simply swapping out the pickup did not do it.

I'd have the first Washburn bass I had back if I could.  I had started wearing into it with my hand placements and whatnot before it got stolen.  That Traynor Bassmaster I'd like back as well.
Vinyls.   deal.

Pissy

Also, if you do a search on the bay of E, for "Memphis Strat" you'll find a listing for a 4 guitar lot.  Inside that lot is one of those Memphis' in blue with a HSS configuration (I think that one I had was a single Humbucker).  Problem is, you have to deal with all those other pieces of crap to get that one piece of um... gold.  He speaks highly of the Memphis in the ad as well.
Vinyls.   deal.

lordfinesse

If I wanted "a" Memphis I'm sure I could head over to Quik Pawn and pick one up. Yours could be identified by a fret that had come slightly unseated and a little twisted at the top. 1st fret I think. It didn't affect playing much. I figured you'd pick that first Washburn.

That Mockingbird bass up there^ looks really nice.
Billy Squier 24/7

Instant Dan

EDIT: This is about the ones that got away. In that case.

Guitar:

Amp:

bbottom

My fretless music man sterling. That was one of the most fantastic basses that I've ever played. I have never seen one quite like it since.

Even though I'm not an active pickup guy, I'm still gassing for another MM.

RacerX

Livin' The Life.

lordfinesse

Very nice. That guitar looks dangerous, like I wouldn't want to piss it off.
Billy Squier 24/7

Sam Hain

I'm not a bass player but I had a SBMM Ray34 that was black/silver burst. It was HH. I fuckin loved playing that axe!

jibberish

Quote from: spookstrickland on June 22, 2013, 04:01:55 PM
Quote from: jibberish on June 22, 2013, 05:47:23 AM

Isn't that the "Fly like and Eagle" synth?
good subject for me to look into. he used tons of synth.
the time frame is probably about right. I got my ARP in I think 73. saved my busrat money for it heh.  fly like an eagle was probably around 76 77

I actually don't do a headsnap that"hey that's my synth" like I do for that thing in the middle of Frankenstein. I could nail that on my arp.
also, the Who had the big to die for ARP, so who songs are a great sampling of ARP sounds.
keith emerson was a moog guy. he had god's own moog rig. so listen to ELP for moog samples

so i'll let you know what I find out.

Discö Rice

Somebody's gonna eat my pussy or I'm gonna cut your fucking throat.

mortlock

I had a black T-40 with a cracked neck..it was a monster..

Lip

1981 Tobacco Burst Gibson "The V" - sold it to Erik Larson many years ago - i'd love that thing back - but I believe someone in Europe has it now...

Also - my 1st SVT - a '69 Blueline - sold it while 'down on my luck' fer $600 like a fucking retard.

lastly - a frankenstien Fender Jazz - 66 neck - 72 body and electronics.. had a huge crack in the body that had been repaired horribly..lol- thing sounded and played amazing.
Last night I heard the ghetto bird circle.... as I was eatin' fish.... and watchin' Erkel...

Omlet

Quote from: RacerX on June 24, 2013, 07:54:22 AM
Quote from: Omlet on June 24, 2013, 07:22:10 AM
Skervesen V6, custom-built for me:

wtf? you already sold it?
Fuck, no! Sorrry, I misunderstood the thread, I was drunk when I posted it...