Mount Carmel w/ Arbouretum @ Kung Fu Necktie, Philly, PA 6/21/13

Started by SabbathJeff, June 22, 2013, 01:33:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SabbathJeff

I've tried digesting last night, had a couple cups of coffee, and I think I'll try to relive this now.

This was the second show I've ever been to where my Dad also went.  Our first gig together, also my first gig, was over 14 years ago; Sabbath at the Spectrum RIP in february, '99.  It was too loud for him.  He HATED Pantera.  My dad isn't exactly into metal, the closest thing to stoner rock he's ever owned was Master of Reality on vinyl, which I have confiscated, naturally, since it's original Vertigo goodness and deep vinyl grooves sound fucking amazing spinning on our table.

That said, this show last night was our second outing together, and he had a great time, got to sit and enjoy the sounds, while I was upfront hurting my neck.

Arbouretum got going about an hour after they should have, due to technical issues; the old man and I each had a Yeungling and waited.  

I've been digging on Arbouretum's bandcamp, and they are really interesting.  There's a review of their latest that describes them as having a doom-laden fok rock sound, which if I can suggest anything that's remotely similar, I'd probably say Neil Young with Crazy Horse is the closest comparison.  I picked up Coming Out Of The Fog directly from Dave, the guitarist/vocalist, because he said that album has some slower/acoustic songs/moments, and suggested that my Dad may be able to groove on it.  I really dug what they were playing, but because they started so late, their set was cut short by at least 3 songs probably.  I look forward to catching them again and digging into the back catalogue, which appears to have a good four other albums for my listening pleasure.

15 minutes later, Mount Carmel come on and brought their blues rock boogie stew to Philly.  I'm going to try to type this: imagine Ten Years After and Cream, spinning the first 2 Free albums, throw in a little of the first 2 Zeps sexiness, a dash of Mountain, a hint of EARLY Grand Funk, hell maybe a little Canned Heat, and you're somewhere close...maybe even a little of the first Sabbath LP aesthetics, minus the evil factor.

Needless to say, this band is on fire.  Their guitarist is as fast as Alvin Lee, and the band is so tight, they have to be in order to sound so loose.  The bassist's tone, hell his bass, was Jack Bruces.  A tobacco SG 4 string, the thing sounded so unholy, and there were fills and runs up and down the neck during every gutiar solo, keeping the songs together possibly in spite of the drummer, who also added his own glue to the stew.

I went up to the stage right after they finished seeing as no one else (of the 30 people that were there), was going to, and i said my thank yous and was handed for my appreciation, the guitarists pick, which is so righteous, i wasn't expecting that, like dude, I just wanted to say you swayed my neck back and forth and up and down, just a thank you was all I had in mind and heart.

My dad survived his second stoner rock experience, and he says he had a good time.  He said I was the only one banging, which is like that at a lot of shows I go to, everyone just stands around.  It's foreign to me, this music moves you in many ways, live it's just cathartic to cut loose and show the band your appreciation.  It looks unnatural to me to just be standing around while that much boogie is happening around you.  How can you not move?

If you can dig on blues rock in say 1969, you should probably go see this band.  Their guitarist is one soulful, quick blues player.  Really fun to witness.  Pick up Real Women while you're at it, it's amazing.

Burn Everything Ash

Cinders Smolder Life

Fresh Crop Harvest

Eat. Sleep. Stonerrock.

Yupr

I saw these guys open for Buffalo Killers a few years back. Tight as hell. Haven't heard Real Women yet though.

kokojones

New album, Get Pure, is due out any week now.  Link to the label's page has a new song up called 'Back On It'. 

http://www.alive-totalenergy.com/x/?page_id=4498

SabbathJeff

http://ghettoblastermagazine.com/2014/song-premiere-mount-carmel-gold/

'Gold' is the second song released from Get Pure.  The riff is infectious, way better than Back on it for me but they both rule.  I can't wait to see these cats again!
Burn Everything Ash

Cinders Smolder Life

Fresh Crop Harvest

Eat. Sleep. Stonerrock.