feelings on modifiying guitars, like REALLY modding them...

Started by tomz., February 15, 2011, 08:07:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomz.

I've slightly modded my Gretsch, fucked up the paint, routed out the pup cavity for a humbucker, so therefore I've accepted the "it aint got no re-sale value" aspect of it.  A buddy of mine did this to a MIM strat, and I think he did a fine job...

And I'm sure what you all remember what the dude from Red Fang did to his Mustang (kinda cut it into a les paul shape...)
so, let's have 'em.  How do you feel about "personalizing" your best friend?

[attachment deleted by admin]
motorcycles, rock n roll, and beer, not necessarily in that order.

tomz.

Discö Rice

Quote from: tomz. on February 15, 2011, 08:07:11 PM
I've slightly modded my Gretsch, fucked up the paint, routed out the pup cavity for a humbucker, so therefore I've accepted the "it aint got no re-sale value" aspect of it.  A buddy of mine did this to a MIM strat, and I think he did a fine job...

And I'm sure what you all remember what the dude from Red Fang did to his Mustang (kinda cut it into a les paul shape...)
so, let's have 'em.  How do you feel about "personalizing" your best friend?
I'm 100% for modding the shit out of your gear.
Somebody's gonna eat my pussy or I'm gonna cut your fucking throat.

Hemisaurus

My feeling is the guitar is a tool, to be mod'd as necessary. If you're worried about collectability and resale value, you become the tool ;D

blackkrosses

I dig that semi sg-style strat. WAY cooler than a strat body.

mortlock

72 tele bass pup i just put in my jazz bass..bad ass bridge was added years ago.

tomz.

bass sic

I have a 64 P bass body that the previous owner cut and shaved the lower cutaway arm thing to look like a Warwick thumb. I played this thing with the original neck and all the shitload of modded electronics it had. It was the best playing best sounding bass I have ever played. But looked like ass. Ive always wanted to put this thing back together but never had the $$ or time. Plus it still looks like ass.

mortlock

why did you take it apart in the first place if it was the best sounding bass you ever played.??

Metal and Beer

I'd never modify a '57 Chevy to make it a better, more efficient performer, and I'd never use a '57 Chevy as my daily driver.
"Would it kill you fellas to play some Foghat?"

mortlock

Quote from: Metal Dave on February 15, 2011, 11:45:41 PM
I'd never modify a '57 Chevy to make it a better, more efficient performer, and I'd never use a '57 Chevy as my daily driver.
id 'hot rod' a muscle car all day long..i consider my fender bass to be the 'muscle car' of basses..

bass sic

Quote from: mortlock on February 15, 2011, 11:36:56 PM
why did you take it apart in the first place if it was the best sounding bass you ever played.??

I traded the body from the guy. He sold the neck for high $$. Its also got a couple Humbuckers in it, and a preamp but the wiring is so crazy I dont know what it will take to get it playable again. I dont know how much of that goodness was from the neck or the body/electronics.

Instant Dan

I'm planning to eventually sand down my sg finish, if you ain't selling it and don't plan to? Why not?

justinhedrick

Quote from: Instant Dan on February 16, 2011, 11:21:34 AM
I'm planning to eventually sand down my sg finish, if you ain't selling it and don't plan to? Why not?

my thoughts exactly. i can't think of anything i own that hasn't been modified in SOME way, with the exception of my nylon string yamaha.  shit, my main guitar is a 9 string.