Started by Dr.Zayus, July 14, 2013, 09:12:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadJohnShaft

Some days chickens, some days feathers

MadJohnShaft

Ryno

Nice work, Detective Shaft.

*So...after watching that second guy, I will tell you that a 2 amp trickle charger is almost useless, and it will take you a week to get carbon build-up off a cast iron pan.  Interesting that he's using electrolysis for rust removal because it usually doesn't work that well.  

I've used my neighbors 40 amp charger set to 20 amps continuous.  Continuous charge is important.  Pulsing and trickling don't work as well.  Plastic bucket like that guy had, but I welded up a couple of sheets of latticed stainless plates I found at the local recyclers. That sits at the bottom of the tub.  Then I welded the anode to that.  Hook it all up and any carbon based nastiness bubbles off over time.  The more power you have coming from the charger, the quicker and bubblier things get.  But it can get too hot and produce a bunch of gas.  I always do it outside.  The process works great for cleaning.  I typically stay away from cast iron with too much rust.  If it's just surface rust its no big deal.  Major rust usually requires a lye bath or some other nasty stuff.

Fun stuff to do with the kids.  Go find some nasty old cast iron, make yourself an electro bath, watch electricity and chemistry work in harmony, and try not to blow shit up!

If a bear shits in the woods, should I have a cocktail?

Pissy

I've done that with the gas tank on my motorcycle.  Took 2 days, but it pulled all the rust out.
Vinyls.   deal.

NCR600

Thanks for those links Ryno!

Most of my cast iron pans have been bought new, second hand "vintage" stuff is ridiculously expensive here, my new Lodge Dutch oven cost half of what I've seen similar sized rusted to fuck ovens go for at the local antique barn, and I've bought raw, unseasoned Chinese cast frying pans for 14 bucks. The surface is pretty rough, so I just rub it down with a broken grinding wheel until it's smooth before seasoning.

I've just been given a tiny little cast iron pan that looks very old, and high enough quality to have a machined cooking surface. It looks brand new, but at some point, someone has painted it black to hang on a wall or something. Any ideas about how I should handle it before I use paint stripper or blast it off?

RAGER

I would either just sand it off or use the electrolysis method.  I'm gonna try it with something just cuz it sounds dangerous and involves electricity.
No Focus Pocus

NCR600

Had a half hearted scrape at it today, and it ain't paint. Looks like some sort of stove enamel or even rust converter. Dunno how well electrolysis will work on that stuff. Might try some oven cleaner or paint stripper next to see what happens.

Ryno

The thing about the electro method, that makes it so useful, is that it's working on all the gunk from the inside out.  Scrubbing, sanding, oven cleaner all work from the outside in.  The electric charge from the pan and washing soda create an environment where the gunk has no choice but to flake off and bubble away, leaving the cast iron pretty much in its original state.

It's not always quick.  In your case NCR, it might take a few days or a week to get that stuff off but it SHOULD come off.

When I found this pan it looked like what yours sounds like.  So much shit caked on it I couldn't even imagine getting it clean.  It looked like 40 years of grease caked on it. I couldn't even see any words on the bottom.  The only reason I tried the electro method was because of this pan.  It took me a week for most of the cleaning in an electro bath, and I still had to scrub little bits and pieces off with salt.  Then I re-seasoned it, and this is how it turned out.  Notice the lines from milling.  This thing gets used almost daily.  Best egg pan ever.  Low-med heat and nothing ever sticks in it.

MadJohnShaft

Impressive - what can I use for he electrical source? The only thing I own is a black and decked backup battery that can jump a car battery - if I left it plugged in to the wall would it work? Seems like I would break it.

RAGER

Just go get a cheapy charger that does 10 or 12 amp.
No Focus Pocus

NCR600

Cheers Ryno! My pan's got a faced surface so it's dead flat. Looks good quality even though its made in Taiwan. I've got a bunch of old battery chargers around the place, so I might just give this a crack.

RAGER

Start up a business.  "Crikey's Crust Removal"  I'm just brainstormin' here.
No Focus Pocus

Ryno

Shafty...
You just need a decent charger.  12 volt and something along the lines of 15-20 amps or more.  But for it to work well, it needs to be a 15-20 amp CONTINUOUS charge, not a trickle charge.

This is hot shit/overkill and will work really well...

But something along these lines will work too...

The more amperage, the hotter things get, but things get cleaner faster.

peoplething

Ryno's right, electrolysis can get really hot with lots of current. if you go for larger current, check the tank twice a day to make sure the buffer isn't all evaporated and refill as necessary.

lab buildings have burned down because 1 or 2 L electrolysis rigs (we use them for protein or dna size separation) were left on over the weekend.  

the buffer evaporates and the whole thing can catch fire - and that's in the couple hundred milliamp range.
"Shut the fuck up." - socket, Administrator

Pissy

Sparklemotion went thrift store shopping today.  We're doing it.

Vinyls.   deal.

RAGER

Yeah I think you're doing it rig..........KAPLOOEY!!!
No Focus Pocus

Pissy

I figure the process makes hydrogen gas, so keeping it ventilated is pretty critical. The current is low. Not getting hot at all.

If I were to leave it and let the electrolyte evaporate then I think that hydrogen could be hazardous for sure. But I've seen no problems.
Vinyls.   deal.

Chovie D

Quote from: Pissy on September 07, 2013, 07:49:48 PM
I figure the process makes hydrogen gas, so keeping it ventilated is pretty critical. The current is low. Not getting hot at all.

If I were to leave it and let the electrolyte evaporate then I think that hydrogen could be hazardous for sure. But I've seen no problems.

Hydrogen eh? what could go wrong?

Pissy

Quote from: Chovie D on September 08, 2013, 05:45:54 PM
Quote from: Pissy on September 07, 2013, 07:49:48 PM

Hydrogen eh? what could go wrong?

I know right?  What could possibly go wrong?

Honestly, I think my farts are more hazardously flammable. That being said, I wouldn't hold a match to that bucket.
Vinyls.   deal.

Ryno

Right on Pissy! Can't wait to see it finished.  Hit it with a light coat of oil as soon as you pull it out and dry it.

RAGER

Have I talked about my mineral B iron pans from DeBuyer?  These things will far out last me.

No Focus Pocus

Ryno

Please talk about them more.  I was going to hit you up for some info on those DeBuyer pans at some point.  I'm currently in the process of moving.  The new place has gas so i'm stoked.  I've been looking at those fry pans.  And the crepe pan looks bitchin, even though i don't know how to make crepes yet.  Are they as heavy as traditional cast iron pans?  What else can you share, good sir?

RAGER

These pans fucking rule.  I would say that yes they are about as heavy as a cast iron.  They are super affordable and will outlast your entire family and their family.  When you get them use the method of boiling potato peels to remove the wax coating then heat,oil, and wipe.  You;re ready to start using it.  I like one guys method of cooking some sacrificial bacon in it first to get a little layer of fat going.  Well worth the money which isn't that much.  I have that pan and the 2 smaller ones.  That little egg pan works soooo good.  A little butter and that egg just slides right out.
No Focus Pocus

NCR600

Why would you boil a potato peel in it to remove the wax?