OR120 and Original Model T

Started by morgantician, July 15, 2013, 07:54:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

morgantician

Lately I've been thinking it might be a cool idea to try to trade my long cherished '72 OR120 for a non-reissue Model T. Am I crazy?  My thought is just my need for both a guitar and bass amp and the T may satisfy that need in style.

Am I crazy? 

moose23

Can you not use the OR1220 for both bass and guitar too?

VOLVO)))

Different beasts. Seems like lots of people are trying to switch teams. It's a fair trade, for sure, though. Loved my T.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

rayinreverse

Taylor is thinking of doing the same thing. He just doesnt like the Orange anymore.
I think they are totally different, but they are both fine amps.

RAGER

Although a 2000s isn't a T it is similar.  I own one and an OR120.  if I had to choose which to play bass through it would be the 2000s but I'm and that's why it's for sale and not my Orange.
No Focus Pocus

dunwichamps

Probably better to get bass specific cabs instead of a another 50W of power.

taylo)))r

Quote from: morgantician on July 15, 2013, 07:54:20 AM
Lately I've been thinking it might be a cool idea to try to trade my long cherished '72 OR120 for a non-reissue Model T. Am I crazy?  My thought is just my need for both a guitar and bass amp and the T may satisfy that need in style.

Am I crazy? 

Crazy like a fox. I am doing the same thing possibly. Kind of over the or120. Just want somethin new.
(insert interesting quote)

Jake

Quote from: taylo)))r on July 15, 2013, 01:01:37 PM

Am I crazy? 

Crazy like a fox. I am doing the same thing possibly. Kind of over the or120. Just want somethin new.

If you recorded that first Black Sleep of Kali demo with that 120 (and I think you did), you are goddamned batshit for wanting to shed that. Incrementally tuck away a few bucks and get an additional amp. You'll thank me later.
poop.

RAGER

Yep.  I thought stupidly aboot selling my OR120 a while back but came to my senses.
No Focus Pocus

taylo)))r

Quote from: Jake on July 15, 2013, 01:24:00 PM
Quote from: taylo)))r on July 15, 2013, 01:01:37 PM

Am I crazy? 

If you recorded that first Black Sleep of Kali demo with that 120 (and I think you did), you are goddamned batshit for wanting to shed that. Incrementally tuck away a few bucks and get an additional amp. You'll thank me later.
Morgan and I both used our or120s on the first BSOK record. We will see. I'm considering trading or selling it, and i'm not real worried about it. I can always score another one if I really want to.

everdrone

at least you are talking non reissue so it is the same vintageness

but for EXTREMELY LOUD VINTAGE AMPS the OR 120 takes the cake!

clockwork green

I would definitely advise keeping the Orange for awhile after getting the Model T just in case you decide it's not you. You may find getting another old Orange isn't always easy and they may not all sound like yours. If you can't afford to own both then that's just the gamble you'll have to decide upon. I also think running both together would be really special...6550 depth and chimey highs with the midrange grind of EL34's.
"there's too many blanks in your analogies"

morgantician

While the Orange has never done me wrong, I feel like my time in Black Sleep Of Kali was the only time I really utilized what makes them special. That was the only band I ran it wide open without a pedal. It sounded amazing for that band, but I don't see myself playing in that style of band again any time soon. Everything else I've used it with I've always had a pedal in front of it, not utilizing the OR signature tone.

I do have cabs for both guitar and bass specific applications, so it's not like I'm trying to pull a Spook move and play guitar through a bass rig or whatever, I just want something that works really well on top of either cab.

I have to replace my power tubes in the Orange soon, so maybe after doing that my mind will be changed.

FullCustom

I don't really like the OR120 for guitar. I love it for bass.

taylo)))r

Quote from: morgantician on July 16, 2013, 12:26:35 AM
While the Orange has never done me wrong, I feel like my time in Black Sleep Of Kali was the only time I really utilized what makes them special. That was the only band I ran it wide open without a pedal. It sounded amazing for that band, but I don't see myself playing in that style of band again any time soon. Everything else I've used it with I've always had a pedal in front of it, not utilizing the OR signature tone.

I do have cabs for both guitar and bass specific applications, so it's not like I'm trying to pull a Spook move and play guitar through a bass rig or whatever, I just want something that works really well on top of either cab.

I have to replace my power tubes in the Orange soon, so maybe after doing that my mind will be changed.

And this is the same problem I have. It was perfect for BSOK and while my new band is similar, there are a lot more dynamics at play. It's a one trick pony. It just happens to do that one trick pretty damn awesomely. Plus, you can always find another one.

Cursed71

Didn't SLEEP use your OR120s when they played Denver?

taylo)))r

taylo)))r

FullCustom

What do you like better about the OR120 the tone stack or the FAC?

taylo)))r

Quote from: FullCustom on July 16, 2013, 01:47:29 PM
What do you like better about the OR120 the tone stack or the FAC?

Tone stack. I never even move my FAC position.

FullCustom

I have an overdrive that I build with an OR120 tone stock. If you really end up missing your orange it could be just the right thing.

taylo)))r

Quote from: FullCustom on July 16, 2013, 03:27:15 PM
I have an overdrive that I build with an OR120 tone stock. If you really end up missing your orange it could be just the right thing.

Nice! Good to know. Thanks.

Lip

My YBA 1A sounds great for bass. Not a ton of power - Slugfuct runs stereo ybas
Last night I heard the ghetto bird circle.... as I was eatin' fish.... and watchin' Erkel...

Slugfuct

Quote from: Lip on July 17, 2013, 08:04:38 PM
My YBA 1A sounds great for bass. Not a ton of power - Slugfuct runs stereo ybas

Indeed, and I love the fuck out of running two of them (both with KT88's which ups the output to 90 watts+)

I also had an original Model T a ways back that I thought it was great for bass but couldn't really get what I wanted out of it for guitar and ended up selling it, different strokes for different folks I guess. It was a great amp though and if i was in the band I'm in now back then, i wouldn't have ever gotten rid of it, damned if you do damned if you don't!
I'm gonna ravage your cabbage with my sauerkraut habits