Baked Potatoes

Started by black aspirin, July 17, 2013, 12:20:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

black aspirin

So, how do you cook them, and what goes on them?

I cover them in virgin olive oil and sea salt, wrapped in aluminum foil, and bake them in the oven at 415 degrees for 45 minutes.  Then mash them up, throw on a bit of shredded cheese, and a TON of cottage cheese, and a fair amount of pepper.  And DEVOUR.  You?

GO.
This Juan goes to 11.

Ryno

First of all, I love the basic, baked potato.  Russet in the oven for 40 mins, salt, pepper, butter, yum.

But my favorite is the Red or Yukon gold, sliced lengthwise like steak fries, slathered in olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic, (fresh or granulated but mostly granulated), and a little fresh chopped rosemary stolen from the neighbors.  30-40 mins in the 400+ oven and you have amazing baked tater fries.

A little sriracha on top and you're in fkn fry heaven.
If a bear shits in the woods, should I have a cocktail?

mortlock

Lumpy

I guess I like them overcooked. 40 minutes isn't long enough for me (but I also go with 350 degree oven)
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

Ryno

400+ crisps em up a little better in my personal experience.  But then there's the whole "not done" inside if you rush it.  I think the big Idaho potatoes take longer.  The reds, golds, fingerlings, etc. cook much faster and better for most things.  More flavor, less starch.  Then again, I do smashed potatoes with Russets and I love them more, depending on what goes in them.  Bacon, gr. onion, sour cream or yogurt, and a bunch of other killer stuff.  Yum?

Potatoes are a phenomenon in themselves.  If I had to choose between rice, corn or potato, it would be potato all day long.  Then corn.  Maybe it's a tie.  Not rice though, even though I love rice. 

Potato.

MadJohnShaft

Oil, salt, set on oven rack 400 until done - I don't like foil.

Did you ever try boiling in water until water is gone technique?   Jacque Pepin's recipe -  at the end you toss the now dry potatoes around in the pan to dry and crisp the skins.  It makes a boiled potato more like a roasted potato but nice and wet inside.

some variations you add two tablespoons of salt to water - when you toss around in the hot pan at the end the salt crusts over the potatos and they get a crunchy pleasing outside - I did this with skin on finger potatoes and it was well loved.
Some days chickens, some days feathers

RAGER

I'm intrigued by this technique^^

I like to do hasselback potatoes.

No Focus Pocus

Ryno

Quote from: RAGER on July 17, 2013, 09:19:27 AM

HELL YES.

MadJohnShaft

^^ I have to try that.

I've done them like a fanned out deck of cards a bunch of times too and they turn into something like Mashed Potato chips - food365 has the recipe and I've put in on here many times.

JemDooM

Quote from: Ryno on July 17, 2013, 11:53:44 AM
Quote from: RAGER on July 17, 2013, 09:19:27 AM

HELL YES.

Totally!!! :o

You can't beat good old real butter, I like some garlic n herb cream cheese too..
DooM!

NCR600

Quote from: MadJohnShaft on July 17, 2013, 08:30:50 AM
Oil, salt, set on oven rack 400 until done - I don't like foil.

Did you ever try boiling in water until water is gone technique?   Jacque Pepin's recipe -  at the end you toss the now dry potatoes around in the pan to dry and crisp the skins.  It makes a boiled potato more like a roasted potato but nice and wet inside.

some variations you add two tablespoons of salt to water - when you toss around in the hot pan at the end the salt crusts over the potatos and they get a crunchy pleasing outside - I did this with skin on finger potatoes and it was well loved.
I do a similar thing, but I use a shitload of salt (3 parts water to 1 of salt) and don't bother boiling it dry, just until the potatoes are done, dump the water and stick the pot back on the stove to dry the water off and crisp them up a bit. I toss them in the salt residue to coat when the skins are done. The highly concentrated salt water seems to make the skins wrinkle up and look cool. I serve with some Romesco Sauce and Salsa Verde for dipping with beers. Tasty!

James1214

Once I found about the Hasselback Potato method I haven't used any other technique.... it is so damn Good. I had one recently that I poured some leftover bechamel over and sprinkled some Parmesan and chedder on, was like a baked scalloped potato.
words

black

Man I really dig baked potatoes. The fancier, the better, but much love for the basic.

I sometimes think if I lived in the same state as deaner, I'd marry a baked potato.
At Least I Don't Have The Clap.

RAGER

I officially approve of this entire thread.
No Focus Pocus

black aspirin

I will be cooking my first Hasselback potatoes this week; that looks delicious.
This Juan goes to 11.

Jor el

What Would Scooby Do ?

MadJohnShaft

MadJohnShaft

Ah, same place for salt crusted potatoes - I did this once, with the sauce.  Weird but one of those things you can't stop eating.

http://food52.com/blog/6754-jose-pizarro-s-salt-crusted-potatoes-with-cilantro-mojo

MichaelZodiac

I did that recipe just tonight, they turned out great. My girlfriend was a bit skeptical but she was quickly convinced by them. I made them as a side-dish for this recipe http://food52.com/recipes/9048-pan-fried-trout-with-prosciutto-pine-nuts-and-crispy-sage. That too was really good. There was only too much salt on the plate with the potatoes and the crispy prosciutto. Would work better with some steak or pork.
"To fully experience music is to experience the true inner self of a human being" -Pøde Jamick

Nolan

RAGER

Soon as it's not 90 degrees here I'm gonna try this method.  prolly do a salsa verde or a romesco.
No Focus Pocus

MadJohnShaft

I wonder if you could put herbs and or spices in with the salt and get some other interesting flavored going.

If I get any potatoes out if the garden they'll probably be perfect for this.

Lumpy

In Slovenia, there is an annual Roasted Potato Festival. It's one of their big events.

/factoid
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

Demon Lung

Take 8-10 regular size Yukon gold potatoes. Boil them. Drain the water. Dump them in a bowl. Add a stick of butter, 1/4 cup of heavy cream, 3 tablespoons of sour cream, 1 table spoon of hellmans mayo, salt and pepper to taste. Mix that shit together and then spread it in a glass pan. Shred the fuck out of some sharp cheddar cheese and bake in the oven on 400 for like 10 min.

deleted account

I believe you're looking for the healthy/ low-calorie thread

RAGER

Quote from: Demon Lung on July 25, 2013, 08:22:14 PM
Take 8-10 regular size Yukon gold potatoes. Boil them. Drain the water. Dump them in a bowl. Add a stick of butter, 1/4 cup of heavy cream, 3 tablespoons of sour cream, 1 table spoon of hellmans mayo, salt and pepper to taste. Mix that shit together and then spread it in a glass pan. Shred the fuck out of some sharp cheddar cheese and bake in the oven on 400 for like 10 min. and dial 9 1 on your phone just to be safe.
No Focus Pocus