The healthy/low-calorie thread

Started by black aspirin, July 17, 2013, 12:39:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

black aspirin

So, this thread is for recipes that are really low in calories/fat, and still delicious.  If you're able; include a total calorie count.  If not, at least provide some explanation as to why it should be low in calories, or healthy in some other manner (high in protein, low in fat, for example).
This Juan goes to 11.

deleted account

the body processes different foods differently.  20g of carbs from pasta is not processed the same as 20g of carbs from beans.  and then there's added differences if those foods are combined with other foods.  the 70's model of low-calorie/ low-fat foods is wrong, as is straight up calories in/ calories out.  food types/ portion size are a better "measure" for healthier eating/ weight loss

JemDooM

Tomato based home made sauces (like my quick one in the pasta thread) are fat free, unless you add olive oil or cheese. I think that cutting out carbs and fat is unhealthy, you need both for energy, though I think being a vegetarian lets me use more of things like olive oil and cheese without feeling guilty...

Seafood salad - prawns/crab/tuna/salmon, I try to have a wide range of veg especially superfoods like tomatoes, peppers, spinach, the more variety the tastier and more interesting too, sweetcorn, carrot, beetroot, celery, optional avocado for healthy fats essential to your body, you could add basil leaves, lemon, fat free yoghurt with cucumber and mint, herbs and spices on the seafood, fruit, peaches and grapes are good...

Veg roast - olive oil, garlic, Aubergine, red peppers, fenugreek, cherry tomatoes, mushrooms, few potatoes for carbs if you want, you don't even need to add anything else to that its so tasty but I do usually have mayo...

My favourite hearty filling soup: butternut squash, onion, carrots, loads of garlic, oregano, red lentils, veg stock cubes, blended

Pitta breads and fajita wraps are slow release energy so if your active they're nothing, I fill mine with mixed roast veg, hummous, fat free tzatziki, falafel,...

Bean chilli: your choice of mixed beans, chopped tomatoes, loads of garlic, serious amounts of paprika, chilli's, red and yellow peppers, can be served with fat free yoghurt...

Or instead of beans, Aubergine & mushroom chilli

DooM!