Main Menu

Let's Talk Sleeper Amps

Started by morgantician, July 17, 2013, 03:35:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corey Y

I'll give a big +1 for the Carvin X100B. I bought mine for $300 used (80's version, with black tolex, whew...no rat fur) and it's my main guitar amp for recording. I generally leave it on the clean channel and use pedals, but dogfood did a great job of breaking down the versatility of the lead channels. I've used the boosted lead channel with an additional overdrive (with a 3 band EQ) to goose things a big into Mesa rectifier type territory, for recording other people who wanted that type of sound. Most the guitar tracks on the demos on my soundcloud account are with that amp. The fact that you can do power scaling with it just makes it that more versatile. The fact that Carvin has never been sold in any mega chains and there's a huge supply of them on the used market has kept them REALLY affordable, but even new from Carvin they're still pretty affordable.

I keep an eye out for the X100 (I think it might sometimes be referred to as the X100A), which is the same amp in a smaller shell without the graphic EQ. They're more rare, but still never high priced, but I've never been able to get a response whenever one shows up online for sale. I never use the graphic EQ on mine and it pretty much lives on a 2x12 cab in my home recording/mixing room, so I'd like to snag one of those eventually.

liquidsmoke

I think I'm going to try to get one.

themusketking

I have an Acoustic 160 100W head on layaway right now. It's $300 and man is it LOUD. I love this thing.
Something heady, stupid, and prophetic here.

doomedfuzz

I have two 80s Peavey Butchers (only one in the pic here) and a newly purchased Peavey VTM120. I have Orange and Sunn amps, I gig with the Peavey Butchers. They are louder than God, reliable, great mod platforms and take pedals really well - and I use Black Arts pedals so a good platform for those is nice. Just got the VTM and only used it once, it is a freaking monster - has excellent driven tone. Mine had not left the bedroom it was in for over 20 years, still has original tubes, ever opened and 100% mint. A little dusty and stinks like stale cigarettes - I'll clean her up and play the hell out if it at massive volumes. One of my Butchers is also a studio queen - looks new, has original tubes and has never been opened. Total prices: Butcher #1 $200 (then had it checked out, new power cord, and new tubes). Butcher #2 $200 and nothing done to it. VTM120 $200. Planned mods include the bias warm and treble mod - do not plan on converting to EL34s, I have EL34 amps, I prefer these with 6L6s

Butcher #1 and VTM120

Butcher #2 and Orange cab and 1981 MIJ Yamaha SBG500 (yes bad ass guitar)

da_qtip

God damn. The Butcher is gone. I shouldn't have waited.

liquidsmoke

Can anyone confirm that the Carvin XV-112 is simply just an upside down version of the X100B?

dogfood

Problem solving whiskey!

liquidsmoke

I will try to lure the duck home, it's in very nice shape with new tubes.

liquidsmoke

$335 shipping tomorrow. Looks very clean. New Groove Tubes EL34s.

:D

dogfood

Problem solving whiskey!

liquidsmoke

Avoid the Crate Power Block unless you want SS preamp distortion. It is not a true clean amp and to make it loud you crank the master and then have to use the distortion knob for volume.

As a preamp into something else it might be okay though.

Mr. Foxen

I've used the power block for bass, works fine if you know how to operate it.

liquidsmoke

Quote from: Mr. Foxen on January 10, 2014, 07:14:15 PM

I just got one for guitar and it runs out of volume quick. For whatever reason I thought it would be able to do a true clean sound loud. It doesn't. Mine has a faulty hard to get working master volume knob though so I'm sending it back. It requires way too much jiggling to work.

liquidsmoke

Do any hybrid heads(tube pre) have a nice creamy sounding loud clean channel? I tend to read that they are shit which makes me assume they skimp on the preamp. My buddy's Mesa Studio preamp sounds great, very sweet and rich, metal as hell, into my SS power amp although the clean channel didn't sound that good with a distortion pedal into it.

dogfood

Quote from: liquidsmoke on January 10, 2014, 09:03:38 PM
Do any hybrid heads(tube pre) have a nice creamy sounding loud clean channel? I tend to read that they are shit which makes me assume they skimp on the preamp. My buddy's Mesa Studio preamp sounds great, very sweet and rich, metal as hell, into my SS power amp although the clean channel didn't sound that good with a distortion pedal into it.

distortion into mesa studio pre clean channel into ss power amp? 

Question to you amp design builder types:  What element of a ss power amp design gives it tolerable tone?  Many an ear have listened to my Sunn Concert Lead and have genuinely wanted to know what I'm playing through.  I've seen ads for LabSeries amps declaring their quality tone though I can't remember what one sounds like.  Randall have some metal ss numbers that people don't hate. 

Problem solving whiskey!

Lumpy

Quote from: liquidsmoke on January 10, 2014, 07:25:38 PM

I just got one for guitar and it runs out of volume quick. For whatever reason I thought it would be able to do a true clean sound loud. It doesn't. Mine has a faulty hard to get working master volume knob though so I'm sending it back. It requires way too much jiggling to work.

The Crate Power Block requires Gain (grit) and Volume knobs up to get maximum volume. That's not what you want at all.

What about using one of the Catalinbread "foundation" (amp modeling) pedals into a super high wattage solid state head? You should also look into a 100 watt Matamp or Sunn Model T amp, they are louder than shit and can do icepick clean. I saw YOB once play through a Matamp, it was unbelievably loud and clean unless he stepped on a pedal. Khanate used Sunn Model T's, they were also unbelievably loud and clean (original version Model T, not Fender reissue).

I'm surprised you are still looking for an amp that meets your needs...
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

liquidsmoke

Quote from: dogfood on January 10, 2014, 10:03:25 PM
Quote from: liquidsmoke on January 10, 2014, 09:03:38 PM

distortion into mesa studio pre clean channel into ss power amp? 

Question to you amp design builder types:  What element of a ss power amp design gives it tolerable tone?  Many an ear have listened to my Sunn Concert Lead and have genuinely wanted to know what I'm playing through.  I've seen ads for LabSeries amps declaring their quality tone though I can't remember what one sounds like.  Randall have some metal ss numbers that people don't hate.

I tried my distortion pedal into the clean channel of the Mesa Studio preamp just to see what it would sound like. It was running into the loop in of my 350 watt class D bass head which is plenty loud enough for a guitar rig.

The preamp distortion that unit provides is amazing. I think it's supposed to be very similar to the Mark IIC+. You crank the distortion full up, make the V shape on the eq and it's one of the most heavy metal tones possible although I'd prefer it had a bit more distortion available. I think the Studio goes for about $500 on ebay.

I'm more or less of the opinion that the various types of SS power amps(within heads and rack mount) all sound pretty similar. Mosvalve, class D, class whatever. Make sure you have enough watts and you have all the headroom you want. No tube stuff going all sludgy on you at high volumes when you don't want sludgy tones. I can only imagine that people like certain SS heads because of their preamps and because their power amps have enough watts for the volume levels they play at.

liquidsmoke

Quote from: Lumpy on January 11, 2014, 03:41:52 AM
Quote from: liquidsmoke on January 10, 2014, 07:25:38 PM

The Crate Power Block requires Gain (grit) and Volume knobs up to get maximum volume. That's not what you want at all.

Correct and I discovered this in about 2 minutes. Should have read about it more but it's going back to the seller because it doesn't work properly. Considering that it was supposedly designed to be used with modeling gear I'm surprised it can't do a louder clean.

Quote from: Lumpy on January 11, 2014, 03:41:52 AM
What about using one of the Catalinbread "foundation" (amp modeling) pedals into a super high wattage solid state head? You should also look into a 100 watt Matamp or Sunn Model T amp, they are louder than shit and can do icepick clean. I saw YOB once play through a Matamp, it was unbelievably loud and clean unless he stepped on a pedal. Khanate used Sunn Model T's, they were also unbelievably loud and clean (original version Model T, not Fender reissue).

I'm surprised you are still looking for an amp that meets your needs...

Just looking for a tube preamp to sweeten up my live tone. Got the SS headroom covered.

I'm okay with the idea of modeling amps but I have a great distortion pedal already. Used to have a Matamp, sold it roughly 5 years ago because I didn't like it's tone enough considering the cost. Got into and out of Laneys after that. I suspect that a Model T or SVT or V4 would do the trick but those amps are either too expensive or more heavy than I want to deal with.

Have a Carvin tube amp from ebay coming but I'll probably just use it for recording and rock and sludgy projects. Who knows though, maybe it won't break up too much loud.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sunn-Model-T-O-/221350804455?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3389893be7

3 grand? Is that a joke? Do people actually pay that much for these amps?

VOLVO)))

We went through this before, what you want only exists in solidstate world unless you start shelling out multithousands of dollars. I still think you have a miscommunication of terms, by break up, do you mean it sounds shitty ans crackly, or do you mean "overdriven?"
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

MichaelZodiac

If you want tube pre-amp, maybe check the EHX tube pedals? SunnJake, didn't you say the British one just sounded like a JCM800? You can stay off the grit and just use it clean?
"To fully experience music is to experience the true inner self of a human being" -Pøde Jamick

Nolan

VOLVO)))

I had one, Riffer owns it now!

There is a video on YouTube of me beating on one... Let me see if i can dig it up

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

VOLVO)))

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nn52yD0Jc6c&list=UU8s1iJzlbISEcsNyZycyYEw
Just copy and paste. It's the muff'n and a solid state Sunn power amp... Metal Dave owns the amp, Riffer has the muff'n... Xayx has the guild...

I'm sad

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

dogfood

http://dallas.craigslist.org/mdf/msg/4282775148.html

Deuce VT: $250.00
120 watts
Solid state preamp, 6L6 tube power amp
Probably early 80s
All original, from the looks
Sort of Peavey's answer to the Twin.
In very good condition.
Check out the prices on Ebay for comparison.
Great, I mean great clean tone, very good overdrive.
Quite versatile.
Built in phase
This thing is loud. It is also very heavy, built like a tank
No footswitch, you can find these on Ebay.
Made in the USA

Problem solving whiskey!

liquidsmoke

Quote from: SunnO))) on January 11, 2014, 11:46:53 AM
We went through this before, what you want only exists in solidstate world unless you start shelling out multithousands of dollars. I still think you have a miscommunication of terms, by break up, do you mean it sounds shitty ans crackly, or do you mean "overdriven?"

By breakup I mean what happens to tube heads when you turn them up really loud. So for example you're rockin' on a 5150 or whatever and you've got a nice tone at lower or moderate volumes but you're not loud enough for practice or gigs so you crank the master and the louder you go the more it fuzzes out and sounds like Spirit Caravan or Weedeater and less like the tone you had at low to moderate volume. You turn down the distortion but the tone still isn't right. It may sound great but it's not the tight sound you originally had. It's got the creamy richness but too much fuzz. When I ran my TightMetal pedal into my roommate's 5150 at moderate volume for some tracking I realized what I've been missing over the last tubeless couple of years. Then later using his Mesa Studio into my SS amp(and we cranked that thing) convinced me that SS power is fine as long as the preamp sounds tubey enough. I need that rich tube cream, but not the full tube head experience. That EH Muff'n set on low might do the trick as it sounds great in videos. I'm watching one now on ebay. It's puzzling that Marshall couldn't get that sort of sound with their hybrid heads, or if they did people aren't able to dial it in very well. Or perhaps they are just that used to power amp distortion/'breakup'.

liquidsmoke

Huh, they make a whole line of tube pedals.

http://www.ehx.com/browse/tube-pedals

"Electro-Harmonix is not only an effects pedal pioneer but we are the leading manufacturer of vacuum tubes in the world. Put the two together and we are proud to present a line of vacuum tube pedals that take full advantage of the sweet, warm, lush sounds that vacuum tubes are known for. In all of our vacuum tube pedals, we run the pedals at full power with approximately 300VDC on the plates giving the tubes a chance to shine in a relatively small guitar pedal footprint. Now you don't need to search the far reaches of the Internet for deals on vintage tube amps and studio gear to get a real tube sound."

Is that similar to the kind of voltage that tube head preamps deliver?