Pasta sauce

Started by frobbert, July 17, 2013, 07:23:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

frobbert

Been making it myself lately (as opposed to out of a bag) but of course I could always use some good tips or recipes. Anyone care to enlighten me?
bite me

Demon Lung

Sauté some onion and garlic in some olive oil. Cut up about 8-10 Roma tomatoes. You will also need a can of tomato sauce. Mix all that shit together then throw some fresh bay leaves some fresh oregano and a little cayenne pepper. Then throw a couple of pork knuckles in that shit and let it simmer on low for 4-5 hours. Stirring every 30 min or so with a wooden spoon.

Demon Lung

Mix some ricotta cheese in it after its finished.

MadJohnShaft

I've been playing with the Alton Brown/Test Kitchen 10 minute tomato sauces recipes - they took out all the additives with the idea the tomato flavors remain try it it's worth a shot and the results are great.  Onions, garlic, rosemary, red pepper sautéed -  add can crushed tomato cook 10 minutes.  

It's really good and there's some science behind leaving out herbs and additives which apparently kill off some of the flavonoids in tomato sauce that can leave it dull and flat. I like.

Here's one version: http://www.food.com/recipe/10-minute-tomato-sauce-from-americas-test-kitchen-429838 but I thought the oregano was a no no.

My Italian step mom has a family recipe they use that I use for my fresh sauce which is top notch - render fat from salt pork (I use prosecco and shit like that instead) - then add olive oil, sauté rosemary and red pepper in oil, add one to two cans tomato paste and cook away the metal taste. Add your garden Roma tomatoes and maybe two cans water from the paste and cook couple hours til done. Stir a lot. Run through a food mill. Fantastic. Freeze in bags.

It's interesting the Test Kitchen 10 minute recipe matches our family recipe in ingredients and that our family recipe reached the same flavor conclusion without the science.  The first time I made it it reminded me of ours.

It seems like there should be a way to add a fennel bulb to the oil to pull in some anise flavors....
Some days chickens, some days feathers

JemDooM

Because we work long hours this is our main diet haha, but yeah my 'quick sauce'

2 cartons passata
Loads of crushed garlic
Herbs - basil or oregano
Any or all of the following: cherry tomatoes, mushrooms, olives, Aubergine, courgette, peppers, spinach (rarely onion cos I don't like it in sauce)
Sea salt
Black pepper
Olive oil

I simmer for about 45mins or until its reduced

Another good quick one is:

In a roasting tray any or all: peppers, cherry tomatoes, fennel, Aubergine, mushrooms (red onions because I like them roasted) loads of garlic, roast until all sizzly and juicy, throw with pasta, olive oil and black pepper. Its not the sauciest of sauces ;) though I might throw together a light cheese sauce to go with it:

Mix flour & milk, cream (or soy milk in my case) to make a paste
Add more milk/cream/soy then add cheese when there's plenty
Simmer until thick

I also make mac n cheese that way but add lots of mustard yum!

I'd be really interested in people's mac n cheese recipes actually, iv used the same recipe all my life which was my nans, it's just milk, flour, extra mature cheddar and hot English mustard...

DooM!

frobbert

I'm reeeaaally liking this food and drinks group  :)
bite me

RAGER

I like that alton brown quick method too but I finish it off with basil chiffonades and olive oil.

Then there's my all fricken day Sunday gravy with ribs and sausage and lots of red wine.
No Focus Pocus

deleted account

I've always liked going with half alfredo/ half marinara at fancy places like Fresh Choice and La Sizzler.  is that weird?  is there a recipe that approximates that combo?

MadJohnShaft

I have too many tomatos so I push only tomato sauce around here.

Looked up Aubergine = eggplant.  I guess I knew that already. That's great.

I did Sunday Gravy a few times in the crock pot. I forgot about doing that. That's a good way to use up peppers. Can zucchini or yellow squash go in there?

mortlock

the key to a good sauce is in the meat. you need meatballs, Italian sausage [mild], and pork. brown everything in olive oil and dump it all into the sauce, drippings and all.

I say mild itl sausage because you don't want to heat up the spice unless you are going for a diavolo sauce. use crushed red on your own bowl if you want heat..

Lumpy

Quote from: priest on July 17, 2013, 01:51:54 PM
I've always liked going with half alfredo/ half marinara at fancy places like Fresh Choice and La Sizzler.  is that weird?  is there a recipe that approximates that combo?

What about a tomato cream sauce, or a Vodka sauce.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/rachael-ray/you-wont-be-single-for-long-vodka-cream-pasta-recipe/index.html
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

MadJohnShaft

Yeah with the meat in sauce - my CSA gives me pound packages of Italian sausage, pork sausage that I need to figure out how to use and this is a great application.

Sparkle Motion

^^We've been taking Italian sausage and removing it from the casing.  Then we mix it with chopped spinach, ricotta, parmesan, egg, and fennel powder.  Then we roast whole potobello mushrooms.  Let them cool.  Then add the sausage mixture on top of the mushrooms and the roast in the oven until done.
We usually have them with caprese salad (a really good way to use tomatoes) or some type of leafy salad.
"There ain't much difference between the man I wanna be and the man that I really am."

deleted account

Quote from: Lumpy on July 18, 2013, 01:10:19 AM
I've always liked going with half alfredo/ half marinara at fancy places like Fresh Choice and La Sizzler.  is that weird?  is there a recipe that approximates that combo?

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/rachael-ray/you-wont-be-single-for-long-vodka-cream-pasta-recipe/index.html

I've had vodka sauces before but not alfredo-y enough.  I want the savoryness of the alfredo tempered by the tang of the tomato.  I will check out what RR has to say, thanks

Chovie D

I know there are no italians yet in this thread because no one has mentioned red wine (unless I missed it?).
Splash of red wine into the suace and a couple glasses for the chef is a must. >:(

toss a couple italian sausages into your sauce and let those simmer for a couple hours.
toss some pork or beef ribs into the sauce and let em simmer till the meat falls off the bone
*brown in oil first for both

-pinch of cayanne can really liven up a sauce.  ;) use a light hand.

ladysloth

Quote from: priest on July 18, 2013, 11:57:50 AM
Quote from: Lumpy on July 18, 2013, 01:10:19 AM
I've always liked going with half alfredo/ half marinara at fancy places like Fresh Choice and La Sizzler.  is that weird?  is there a recipe that approximates that combo?

parma rosa sauce?

I make a basic white sauce and then add tomato sauce (sometimes from a jar :() and parm, regiano- then start the mouth party

or I puree cannellini beans, mix with cream and then add tomato sauce and the cheese. hahaha- sneaky fiber and lower in fat if you don't overdo the cream or milk/butter.

when I make a white sauce (har har), I also add a dash or nutmeg and a tablespoon of cooking sherry. masala wine used to be a go to, but I need a bigger kitchen.

Lumpy

Mashing some anchovies in olive oil at the start, Puttanesca style. Adds salt and depth of flavor. I've been making pasta sauce with ground turkey breast -- super boring. Anchovies changed all that. ;)

I've been using a jarred sauce to save time -- gotta replace that with canned tomatoes, to compensate for all the salt in the anchovies and jarred sauce. Too salty otherwise.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

JemDooM

QuoteSplash of red wine into the suace and a couple glasses for the chef is a must.

Mmmmm yes!!

And hell yeah to anchovies!!
DooM!

RAGER

I can't believe there was a time I used anchovie paste.  eeesh
No Focus Pocus

Chovie D

chovie d approves of anchovies