Main Menu

Name that tone/pedal

Started by skydogdiesel, July 23, 2013, 07:39:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skydogdiesel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KV3kb-c8XV8

What is rhino using for that main riff?  i know he played strats for most of captain beyond's records and i am looking for a pedal that will replicate this tone for my strat.   neverending search continues........

grandma always said the money's in dick and fart jokes...

The Shocker

Hey Sunn, fix his link.  Also, interested.

Corey Y

Captain Beyond? No pedals, just guitar into amp. There's some glib quote about EVH asking Rhino how he got that tone and him saying the whole studio was out of phase. I guess he famously hated the way the guitars came out on the album. There's a lot of info out there about all the goofy setups he used around that time, modding amps, slaving amps and blowing stuff up regularly, but you can bet it's pretty much just a Fender guitar (dunno if it was a Strat or Tele, he's played both and Gibsons live) into a cranked tube amp. Probably a modded Fender Deluxe. I think it was just high volume and recording method.

If you wanted to cop that tone, a Strat or Tele with hot pickups into a Wampler Black 65 would probably get in the ballpark.

Baltar

Yeah Chris, it's definitely in the Fender realm.  My 10 Watt Champ clone gets close to that sound. Maybe try a 5E3 clone like the Catalinbread Formula 5?

Edit: I can't get the damn youtube link to work.

http://www.axeandyoushallreceive.com/product/catalinbread-formula-no-5

^These guys are in Brantford, ON.
Friends don't let friends play solid state amplifiers.

dogfood

Thems Marshall stacks, 1971 and Marshall stacks.  So maybe one of our resident amp gurus could riddle out why the tone on the recorded material sounds like he was playing a Fender amp and why the live recording has the Classic Strat+1969 Marshall stack sound.  Maybe the recordings were out of phase shite?
Problem solving whiskey!

Cursed71

recorded vs. live = apples vs. oranges. Especially in 1971.

The Shocker

Yeah, I have a Popoff book with an interview that echoes (source of?) what Corey said.  Rhino hated the guitar sound on the album.  Felt it was wimped out due to phase issues.  Wasn't able to go back and re-record or fix it.  Funny how that works - we love the sound now, but he hated it.

skydogdiesel

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much-gear-so-little-time/684451-larry-rhino-reinhardt-captain-beyond-iron-butterfly-r-i-p.html

apparently rhino had a pedal board.  one of the posts in the above link tells the story about how a punter tried to steal rhino's board right off the stage.  i know there werent that many boost/fuzz pedals back then but i wanna know for sure!!!!!

skydogdiesel

and i'll watch demos on all the pedals you guys mentioned.  my turbo rat is starting to bug the shit out of me.  i need something new....ugh

Baltar

MXR Classic 108 Fuzz, works well with wah and can clean up with thee ol' volume roll off on a Strat.

Baltar

Made a quick demo for ya bro.

skydogdiesel

nice.  thanks dude!  i've watched a shit ton of demos and i think i've narrowed it down to a couple fulltone pedals.  i wanna try the mxr in store but havent found one anywhere in toronto!!! fack me, i thought they'd be easier to find.  i use my volume knob constantly to clean up the signal when playing live.  looking for that punch with some dirt-but all in one pedal.  i really want to downsize my board anyways.... thanks for the demo bro. 

Corey Y

What Fulltone pedals are you checking out?

skydogdiesel

plimsoul, fat boost, ocd version 4....

Corey Y

I have an OCD v4 and it's one of my favorite pedals, for guitar and bass. It's one of those pedals I think everyone who likes using pedals could justify owning. It sounds similar to a lot of other designs, but different enough that it's doing its own thing, no massive low end cut and pretty flexible in both gain and tone to boot. They're also not hard to find used in good condition.

Chovie D

It sounds like marshall amp distortion to me. 18 watt variety. doesnt sound like a fuzz at all  to me.

Baltar

The first Fat Boost is the one to get. It's the George Orman circuit that Fulltone got sued for. Hence the FB2 & 3. The FB3 isn't bad, but avoid the FB2. The FB-1 is one of those pedals that makes any pedal better, swear to god it's pure magic. Has a little gain to it too. The FB-1 is still going for $120 range! Shhh, don't tell anyone. As soon as my buddy gets back from vacation I'll post a demo of his FB-1 slamming is Traynor Voicemaster.

skydogdiesel

bought the ocd.  the paperwork says it's verson 1.4??????

i like it.  have yet to get it to the rehearsal space but through my stereo system it sounds good.  warm and not muddy, smooth and with clarity.  i have 30 days to return it and the store had all the fulltone pedals i was looking for.   sweet riffage, sweet wailing- i love playing guitar with new toys.

RacerX

Now (if you're anything like me, that is) you'll want to return that OCD, buy the Dano Cool Cat Drive and pocket the difference.:

Livin' The Life.

skydogdiesel

i'm pretty hard on my pedals.  danelectro stuff just seems like it wouldnt hold up. 

dogfood

I've got a cool cat fuzz, I don't treat is special, and it has held up.  no complaints here.  And the fuzz is ok, useable.
Problem solving whiskey!

skydogdiesel

i had an old danelectro flanger that didnt even survive a move to a different house.  the plastic knobs broke off.  i need my gear to be able to take just a little abuse.  i go through wah pedals every 6 months or so.  i mean, i'm 6'-2"  210lbs but still, i'd like to hope that there's some gear out there that can handle a little roughness.  and i'm not wasted drunk when i play.......most of the time

dogfood

ehhh, maybe I do baby my pedals ???  NOW, one time i bought 3 berhinger pedals and they all broke instantly...I'm amazed they weren't DOA.
Problem solving whiskey!