So I've got these wahoo steaks, how do I cook them?

Started by The Shocker, July 26, 2013, 11:09:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Shocker

A friend went deep sea fishing and brought me some wahoo steaks.  I'm used to cooking tuna steaks, but I'm not thinking wahoo is something I can have rare in the center.   Any advice, recipes?

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

MadJohnShaft

Some days chickens, some days feathers

Lumpy

Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

deleted account

Ryno

Wahoo is my favorite fish.  Tombo is a close second with Alaskan halibut bringing up the rear.  I rarely eat local halibut.

But I cook more Tilapia than anything.  Cheap, tasty, and easy.  Just like my old girlfriend.

I always do wahoo in the grill.  The skillet works great too but there is something to be said about a nice, thick, char-grilled wahoo steak with a little blackened rub.
If a bear shits in the woods, should I have a cocktail?

Demon Lung

The Shocker

Quote from: Ryno on July 27, 2013, 10:26:26 PM
Wahoo is my favorite fish.  Tombo is a close second with Alaskan halibut bringing up the rear.  I rarely eat local halibut.

But I cook more Tilapia than anything.  Cheap, tasty, and easy.  Just like my old girlfriend.

I always do wahoo in the grill.  The skillet works great too but there is something to be said about a nice, thick, char-grilled wahoo steak with a little blackened rub.

I plan on grilling them tonight, just scared I'll overcook them.

Chovie D

the methy wood folks out here have this weird recipe for halibut that they call "poor mans lobster"
MY understadning of it is that they basically poach the halibut in sprite or 7up. :o

Demon Lung

Quote from: Chovie D on July 28, 2013, 01:46:07 PM
the methy wood folks out here have this weird recipe for halibut that they call "poor mans lobster"
MY understadning of it is that they basically poach the halibut in sprite or 7up. :o
really? That sounds very interesting...

The Shocker

Quote from: Chovie D on July 28, 2013, 01:46:07 PM

Man, that just sounds wrong.

Chovie D

yeah man look it up, its pretty common. some people just poach it in water and sugar instead of using sprite, but ive heard  of people just cracking open a sprite, pouring it into a pan and going for it around the campfire. you cut the fish into 1 inch cubes and boil it till the chunks float. Ive never tried it myself...to me it DOES sound like a waste of good fish, but these fishermen and woodsy crackers swear by it...I wonder if they do this with catfish at all in the south? or even carp?

myself, when i do halibut, i want to taste the fish, cause its a really good tasting fish, so i keep it as simple as possible. I just make a foil tent-like thingy to put on the grill, drizzle some olive oil on it, salt and pepper, thats it. a little smoke flavor can be good too if you have  some chips or something.

Demon Lung

I know in my part of the south we like our fish fried. They have big ass cauldrons they use for fish frys.

juan11

I thought monkfish was the poor man's lobster...  SCREE!
srl = advancing our core selves in the spirit to be best

Ryno

If a bear shits in the woods, should I have a cocktail?

Lumpy

Using soda pop for cooking is no big deal... a can of coke for beef brisket is part of a classic Jewish recipe. There are other cooking uses too, but I'm spacing out on them.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

Demon Lung

Quote from: Lumpy on July 29, 2013, 12:16:39 AM
Using soda pop for cooking is no big deal... a can of coke for beef brisket is part of a classic Jewish recipe. There are other cooking uses too, but I'm spacing out on them.
how is this possible? Coke has been around for like 100 years. Judea has been around for like 2000.

deleted account

you sayin' you can't teach an old Jew new tricks?