food and drink fests

Started by deleted account, September 26, 2013, 04:31:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deleted account

I just heard about this one, starts tomorrow at 1 and goes through Sun. at 5:

http://eatrealfest.com/event/Oakland/California/2013

I'll check it out at lunch tomorrow and report back

RAGER

I never go to those just like I never go to brewfests either.  I fucking hate standing in line for anything.
No Focus Pocus

deleted account

"The best things in life are worth waiting for."

-Pepe Le Pew

the day after that Portland gig we drove downtown and checked out one of the roach coach city blocks downtown.  5 or 6 trucks had long ass lines and the rest were empty or had a couple people waiting

NCR600

Quote from: RAGER on September 26, 2013, 05:48:24 PM
I never go to those just like I never go to brewfests either.  I fucking hate standing in line for anything.

+1

My local food fest includes at least a 45 minute wait in line to get a glass of wine ( they don't do beer at all, because apparently only yobs drink beer) and another 45 minute wait to get food. I think I've been once in 10 years of living here.

deleted account

I only waited about 5 minutes in the BBQ lamb poutine line.  the lumpia and empanada trucks were line-free.  won't be going back tomorrow cuz it'll be a fuckin' madhouse.  good place to bring your current fuck partner/ family though

Chovie D

not that this was one, but I fucking hate hose "taste of-_____"events. "Taste of Chicago, Taste of Seattle," etc.
corporate spooge fests where they dont pay the musicians(not that those clowns deserve pay).

Sparkle Motion

I might go to this one on Saturday.  I've been the last 9 years.  Once as a competitor and once as a judge.  I prefer to be a spectator.

http://www.pmccookoff.com/
"There ain't much difference between the man I wanna be and the man that I really am."

mortlock

I cant handle crowds. ill only go to an amusement park on a rainy day..

MadJohnShaft

Some days chickens, some days feathers

Lumpy

There's one in Williamsburg Brooklyn every Sunday when it's warm, "Smorgasburg". I went once because I happened to be nearby and I was hungry. It was on a vacant lot which was paved with gravel, so there's dust blowing around everywhere (in case you need more minerals in your food). There's a flea market too, with peoples' overpriced antiques etc. The food looked hit or miss, there were the overpriced popsicles with exotic flavors (Peoples' Pops, really boring and overrated) and stuff that looks good but kinda expensive (small 8 dollar brisket sandwich). And it's trendy, like apparently somebody has made a hamburger with fried ramen noodle blocks instead of a bun, and people will line up like crazy to buy it. I think they might have moved to a different (indoor) location, so no more glamorous gravel lot.

Unless there's another reason to be there (live music) most food fests seem boring. Exception would be the barbecue fest here which seems good (people come from all over to compete). But the typical fest setup where the best food will usually have the longest lines is stupid and annoying.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.