Main Menu

Recent posts

Jam Room / Re: New Gear Acquisitions
Last post by Pissy - Today at 10:41:48 AM
Jam Room / Re: New Gear Acquisitions
Last post by Pissy - Today at 10:36:40 AM
Lordfinesse and I have been anticipating the release of this EVH guitar (the SA-126) for about a year.  Wolfgang had been playing the prototype for some time in white trim in live situations.  I think he played it for Taylor Hawkins tribute show. 

Anyways it's being released now.   And now that I see the specs on it, two things stand out to me.  First, it mimics heavily the Charvel Surfcaster of the 90's. More specifically one like Scott Ian played in Anthrax during the White Noise era.   Aside from the make and shape, the only differences I can tell are an Ebony fretboard here, and the HH pickup configuration, whereas Ian's was HS with rosewood.  I guess the bridge is different too.  And second, I don't care for the color options.   Matte black (too goth), matte green (too Jan 6th) transparent purple (too flamboyant) and the sunburst.   The sunburst is fine, but doesn't knock my socks off.  A white one would be tits.

So, partial semi-hollow design with an E-hole, ebony fingerboard, jumbo frets, tri-block inlay, HH configuration, stop tailpiece, harmonica bridge (70's Gibson Marauder fan?) high output HB pickups with a bolt on neck.  The price is steep, at $1900 for the transparent colors and $1799 for the matte for a MIM (I assume) guitar, but something tells me they'll hold their value fairly well.  I'm looking forward to playing one.

https://www.guitarcenter.com/EVH/SA126-Special-Semi-Hollow-Electric-Guitar-Tobacco-Burst-1500000416701.gc?source=4TPDEFBA&dtm_em=e1162c4df64781226dfd06d4b1820578&optid=1000019910002
Food and Drink / Re: Recipes--Your Specialty
Last post by RAGER - May 16, 2024, 02:34:49 PM
Nah. Believe it or not ginger is used much in Thai cooking unless it's Chinese influenced. You get a knob of fresh galangal in your hand and you'll see it smells nothing like ginger. It's a fantastic aroma. I hate cologne but I'd wear a scent that smells like galangal.

A variation I do want to try is with mashed dried shrimp or with Korean salted shrimp.
Last post by Pissy - May 16, 2024, 01:16:50 PM
Good to know.  I actually have some mexi-bag chilies whole that are about the same heat as your NPhK was.   Picked up some shallots and garlic- we were out.  Gonna hunt that galangal this evening.  Spice World here has a good amount of Asian stuff. It's close to the Asian Market as well.  

You ever try it with ginger root?
Last post by RAGER - May 16, 2024, 09:23:10 AM
Oh shit!  Don't use Thai chilis!  It'd be waaay too hot. It calls for a different milder chili which we don't have but as recommended substitute by Andy Ricker, I use puya chilis from the Mexican section or a Mercado if you have one. Guajillos would work in a pinch.

It looks like you've got some choices on Mercados but slim pickings on Asian stores.

I would try Asian House first , Green Grocer second. Lucky they are right next to each other.

I would not use a ground chili powder. I think it might affect the texture.

Last post by Pissy - May 16, 2024, 08:40:49 AM
We used your Nam phrik kha in our panko bread crumbs frying up pork chops last night.  It was good, but used all of it and I don't think it was enough.   We ground it into a powder.

No matter!   I'm on a mission to make this stuff.  Wife loves the aroma and flavor as do I, and it isn't too hot for the kids.I'm planning on using it as a grilling staple.  

Now, if only my International spice shop has galangal and thai chilies.  Fingers crossed.  
Food and Drink / Re: What are you Drinking ?
Last post by Pissy - May 16, 2024, 08:32:23 AM
I know where that is. 
Last post by RAGER - May 15, 2024, 01:50:48 PM
Made braised beef wrapped in scallion pancakes. A type of jian bing.

Food and Drink / Re: Kitchen Gadgets
Last post by RAGER - May 15, 2024, 01:46:17 PM
New toaster oven.

Old

New

Cute little pour spout bowl from Japan. Works great for tamagoyaki

Food and Drink / Re: What are you Drinking ?
Last post by RAGER - May 15, 2024, 10:10:53 AM
Nice IPA yesterday. Back to work today.