the homebrew blogtrain

Started by khoomeizhi, March 24, 2013, 12:38:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adam

While I am really interested in learning to homebrew, the idea of a 5 gallon batch seems like it would be way too much for me to ever get through. I tend to switch things up after every six pack, how am I going to make it with the same beer through 5 gallons? Especially when I expect many of my attempts will suck? heck, even an "okay" batch will probably have a hard time keeping my interest past a few pints.

MadJohnShaft

I usually got two different 5 gallon corny kegs I can drink in the fridge, plus a few bottled. I've never found that to be an issue. It's pretty good stuff.  My wife is stopping by local home brew shop today getting me a three gallon keg. Want to try smaller batches for fun - could probably pour my beer growler subscription in it.

I wish I would have switched to all grain earlier but 10 years ago the process everyone was using was too complex, now it's nothng.

I  Opened a mead and it's just awful, I will try again in a few months. I used cheap grocery store honey which may be the issue.

Some days chickens, some days feathers

Volume

I do ~3 gallon batches and I make em faster than I can drink em so I have different styles and I give bottles to friends and whatnot. I went straight to all-grain, it's not that difficult. I bet most of your batches will be better than "okay", I know mine are. Go for it!

MadJohnShaft

Should be able to drink 53 bottles of beer in a month

Adam

I don't drink 53 bottles in 2 months.

The idea of 3 gallon batches is more doable. The idea of having 2 3-gallon batches going at one time seems the most likely approach for me to take, but that would probably be my beer supply for 2 full months. I really can't imagine drinking the same 2 beers for 2 months straight.

(And that is assuming I don't buy packaged beer at the same time....which I am sure I would).

I am sure I will give it a try in the next year or so....at this point, I am just too curious and interested in being able to create a beer to my own personal preferences. Going all gran does sound the most intriguing too.

MadJohnShaft

Okay, Adolf. This is the best introduction to all grain - it's easy to follow and detailed.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/easy-stovetop-all-grain-brewing-pics-90132/

This is my holy grail

http://brulosophy.com/how-i-brew/processes/batch-sparge/single-batch-brew-day/

I stuck #9 carboy in the fridge to cold crash until Sunday. I added gelatin to see if it clears it.

Adam

Quote from: MadJohnShaft on March 09, 2015, 11:26:35 PM
Okay, Adolf. This is the best introduction to all grain - it's easy to follow and detailed.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/easy-stovetop-all-grain-brewing-pics-90132/

This is my holy grail

http://brulosophy.com/how-i-brew/processes/batch-sparge/single-batch-brew-day/

I stuck #9 carboy in the fridge to cold crash until Sunday. I added gelatin to see if it clears it.

Got those links bookmarked, thanks.

MadJohnShaft

Tomorrow doing this Tiny Bottom Pale Ale

http://brulosophy.com/recipes/tiny-bottom-pale-ale/

#9 is easily the best beer I ever made. Switching to all-grain from extract got rid of the 'extract tang' which I never liked.  I made it clear - I used gelatin just before I cold crashed it and it looks real nice. Normally mine are very cloudy and I usually make dark beers.

There's still a gallon left of my first all grain #8 'Swartz Beer'. It's pretty good too. Yeah! I'm going to try same batch with two yeasts Kölsch and American Ale and try to learn more about what yeast I like. I have an outdoor propane brew stand ready to go.

MadJohnShaft

#10 Tiny Bottom pale ale is kegged and carbonating. So I have 8,9, 10 on tap in the basement fridge.

I am doing number 11  a mocktoberfest beer this weekend using the wlp029 Kölsch yeast slurry from #9 instead of buying new yeast, it's been sitting in a mason jar in my fridge.

Brewing outside is great, especially with the levels on the deck. Clean up is easy with the garden hose.

Only problem - it is always windy here and that messes with the burner. I can't see the flame to tune it up. But that high power burner is great - my stove could barely boil 6 g wort.

black

Perhaps fabricate a wind break around it?
At Least I Don't Have The Clap.

khoomeizhi

have moved 3/4 of my active booze projects to the new house (18gal). once i have a few extra minutes among the work and continuing move, i'll start a celebratory batch of something and rack the pu erh mead. still need to move all the big empty carboys...
let's dispense the unpleasantries

MadJohnShaft

That must be fun, moving big old full messy carboys

khoomeizhi

not so messy, they's all got airlocks in 'em. nothing's sloshing around too much. the annoying part is that some of them were so close to being clear, and i went and shook 'em up again. keeping the new house kinda cold, so things are clearing again pretty well...

MadJohnShaft

Saturday is National Homebrew Day

MadJohnShaft

Got my baby - I set it up when wife was away so it's in the living room (for now).

I need to call #12 apple blossom IPA cause they landed in everything. Tasty though.

deleted account

MadJohnShaft

Ratty iPad cover

Damn - with 15 gallons of homemade beer right there on tap I'm gonna be a little drunk nonstop (like always but with less fuss).  It was so cold brewing outside at 6 am this morning that I decided not to drink plus I had to drive some kids around kids around at noon. Brewing sober means everything works out perfectly with no missed timings or temperatures.

I found out one of our execs at work is an avid homebrewer so now I got something to talk to that guy about.

MadJohnShaft

#12 kegged and hoppy as an IPA should be, didn't carb up yet and tastes real green so I'm giving it a week more to age out before I start drinking it.

Making #13 Hefwiezen today - the sweet wort tasted amazing.

So far hitting all my temps and  gravity, my ferment room is a little too warm so I hope I don't wind up with too many off favors.

http://beerrecipes.org/showrecipe.php?recipeid=1350

Up: all the internet said that Wyest3068 stuff ferments mad so I used a blow off tube for the first time and damn if it didn't need it.  Stuffs bubbling crazily.  Had to clean out the container I was using for the blow off because it's full to the top with foam.

I fucked around with the water minerals. I think our Lake Michigan water is probably too clean for brewing.  I took this picture so I remember to snake a piece of string in the hop ball - it's always so hard to fish out of the kettle later.

I put down some thick heavy tiles on top of the grill mat on top of wet newspaper - I am not burning my damn deck.

black

That all sounds and looks killer, MJS.
Try and save me a pint of #12 apple blossom IPA!

(or at least raise one for me!)
At Least I Don't Have The Clap.

juan11

Wait wait wait. There's a beer making thread?

Jesus Christ, I need to start playing the lottery. This comes right before 'Jet Pack' on my to-do hobby list. I'll get here!
srl = advancing our core selves in the spirit to be best

MadJohnShaft

#11 the (m)Oktoberfest is not my favorite and I was wondering if I screwed up something in the process so I bought a couple different Oktoberfest beers and I didn't really like those either.  The Pale Ale keg is getting ready to kick so I'll have room to put the Hefeweizen on tap in time for our big July 4th party.

Our local home brew shop (LHBS in the trade) is moving in with Sketchbook brewery so I gotta drive into Chicago to buy grain for a while, grrrr.

My #14 Mosaic Saison seems to have turned out great and is bubbling away - I got the yeast from Omega Labs which is a local Chicago place that started up last year. Like the last batch, I pulled another couple gallons of wort off the spent grain while sparging and made a smaller batch, that one I put in a cup of maple syrup and used the yeast slug off a prior batch, I may keep doing that, doesn't add much to the brew day but it's a good way to use up bits of ingredients and experiment a bit.

Saison....
http://www.craftedpours.com/homebrew-recipe/mosaic-saison-homebrew-recipe

Omega yeast.

MadJohnShaft

I got some chalk board tap handles for Father's Day but they were returns since they didn't fit next to each other (womens and children know little about beer)

I got this going - the wheat beer is terrific now and should be better in a few weeks,

MadJohnShaft

Made two gallons hard cider with a half bottle of cherry syrup (we sell that stuff to the Temperance Brewerty dudes -that's what I'm doing with it too!))  all from farmers market stuff. Bubbling like crazy in a couple  hours and going nuts this morning, smells great. 

khoomeizhi

nice. we just opened the last bottle of a sumac mead bottled 2/12. good reminder that age is key in mead. it used to be kinda thin and sour, but now the honey nose came back out, and the body's way better too.

we also just bottled 3 gallons of unroasted oolong mead, 1 gallon of spiced (just fenugreek and coriander) bochet (medieval style burnt honey mead), and a gallon of pawpaw mead. finally shit is finishing up. starting a few different things too.

MadJohnShaft

How long you think I need to let the hard cider ferment? Can I keg and carb now after a week?

I'm eyeing my neighbors apple tree to do another round of cider from scratch, so I can use the trub from the first one for the yeast.  I don't have a juicer but I'll boil a bit and strain until I get enough juice at a good OG.

I'm looking at doing a Nettle Beer - you ever try that?

http://andhereweare.net/2013/03/making-wild-nettles-beer.html/