No Focus Pocus

Pissy

Making bbq today. 

Put it on at about 4:15am.

Vinyls.   deal.

Pissy

Vinyls.   deal.

RAGER

What cut?  I can't tell. Looks light in color so pork? 
No Focus Pocus

Pissy

Boston butts.  This is what I call Lexington style.  Sauced with an opaque-ish Apple cider vinegar based soak.  Opaque with slight amount of ketchup.  Eastern style is whole hog over wood, typically a transparent AC vinegar sauce with s&p and red pepper flake.

Western could be considered lots of different things, but in general has a KC masterpiece sweet baby rays type sauce. If i saw a whole hog on a rotisserie, I'd assume it was happening in the midwest somewhere.  When I was growing up, that's what my dad always helped cook.  Sauce wasn't something I remember, but I'm sure it was sweet and thick.
Vinyls.   deal.

Pissy

7 hours or so   

Vinyls.   deal.

RAGER

How'd it turn out?  You do sandwiches? 
No Focus Pocus

Pissy

It was great.  Of course once people got here I didn't take a pic of the pulled pile or pork, but it was really good.  Buddy of mine made some collards with garlic, vinegar and red pepper flake.  They were awesome. 

This was the last pic i took at 12 hrs or so. 

Vinyls.   deal.

Muffin Man

Inspired by your BBQ pork- my dutch oven hack picnic shoulder with a salt and pepper, garlic, oil, Mexican oregano, mixed into a paste (or almost need to actually mortar it next time). Seared at 500 then covered at 250 for a couple hours. No smoke but still tasty. Mainly for noodle bowls next week. Marinated brussel sprouts (from a jar) braised in the drippings which saved the sprouts which are otherwise too strong.

Taste test bowl with roasted tomatillo salsa (Frontera).

RAGER

All looks good.
No Focus Pocus

Pissy

Nice. Looks great.
Vinyls.   deal.

RAGER

We have a friend who fancies herself a bit of a cook. Just text me saying she's smoking 5# of pork loin for pulled pork. Facepalm.

She wants us to come over. Sigh.
No Focus Pocus

Pissy

One if my buddies here is trying in a similar way.  He's now trying to turn a loin into bbq, but he's saying how he's not happy with the results, watching YouTube vids... I just want to show him how, but I can't bring myself to say " hey mahn... i know a thing or two about bbq, and ribs." 
Vinyls.   deal.

RAGER

The results were as you would expect from using loin instead of shoulder.
No Focus Pocus

Pissy

Dry. Lots of bark.
Vinyls.   deal.

RAGER

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No Focus Pocus

RAGER

Gettin started.

No Focus Pocus

Pissy

I made ribs today.  I've found that if I don't truly stress over them, it shows in the end result.  Today I forgot to spray them periodically.  I could tell. I was also at the end of my stash of rub and sauce.  Again, it showed. 

But it's just me at home today, so that's ok.   they were good, but not my best.

Vinyls.   deal.

Muffin Man

Quote from: Pissy on September 17, 2022, 07:41:46 PM
I made ribs today.  I've found that if I don't truly stress over them, it shows in the end result.  Today I forgot to spray them periodically.  I could tell. I was also at the end of my stash of rub and sauce.  Again, it showed. 

But it's just me at home today, so that's ok.   they were good, but not my best.

they look Arkansas. (compliment). Nice pedestal for the Thai grill! I need one of those. Was going to get a welder and zap up some stuff. I'd do that pedestal unless skip the welder and luck into a garage sale. My Thai grill is also falling apart on the top rim. Now I don't feel too bad about it now. Left it out over Winter.

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

those even coals. that is not easy.

RAGER

I know that pic is making bbq folks cringe. It's just how I like it when I do that style. Stewed in fish sauce, soy sauce and your typical SE Asia aromatics.  Kissed by the fire and smoke to produce a nice char with a chewy texture. Best enjoyed with lime juice, chilis and rice.
No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

they put a massive slab sliced of butter on the turkey too.

screen cap

sleestak

How could it be bad?
Killing threads is my business and business is good.