Netflix

Started by Soundgardenia, August 07, 2012, 01:53:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Soundgardenia

Here's a list of cool stuff on Netflix:

The People vs George Lucas
Audition
Archer
Rubber (I don't know, I was pretty high when I watched this so maybe it was funnier at the time than it actually really is)
Black Adder
Dumplings
Hobo with a Shotgun
Dead Snow
Killer Klowns from Outer Space
Spinal Tap
Y tu Mama Tambien
Troll Hunter
Human Centipede
How Beer Saved the World
Mad Men
Santa Sangre
Pink Floyd: The Dark Side of the Moon
Frank Zappa: Apostrophe
Cream: Disraeli Gears

Now... these are my favorite Ted Talks that I seriously encourage everyone to watch (youtube links):

David Gallo: Underwater astonishment's (amazing stuff)

Louie Schwartzberg: The hidden beauty of pollination (absolutely beautiful)

Marian Bantjes: Intricate beauty by design (really cool design lady)

I'm unemployed and need stuff to watch, so please do suggest cool movies, shows or tedtalks that are available on Netflix.
I could play Stairway to Heaven when I was twelve... Jimmy Page didn't actually write it until he was twenty-two... I think that says quite a lot..

DustinAR

Thanks for the list. I need to start using my Netflix account more, I'm going to check a few of these out.

If you haven't seen these, check out:
Cosmos (with Carl Sagan)
I Like Killing Flies
Melancholia
The Wild and Wonderful Whites of West Virginia
American: The Bill Hicks Story
Last Days Here
Jim Gaffigan: Mr. Universe

Soundgardenia

I didn't know last days here was on Netflix! Gotta check it out again!
Also, there's a cool sabbath doc in there too.
I could play Stairway to Heaven when I was twelve... Jimmy Page didn't actually write it until he was twenty-two... I think that says quite a lot..

blackkrosses

Just watched "You're Ganna Miss Me" a documentary about Roky Erickson, lead singer of The Thirteenth Floor Elevators/Roky Erickson and the Aliens. I enjoyed it mucho.

Soundgardenia

I saw that one too... It was a little depressing :(

Soundgardenia

GodShifter

I've watched some good stuff on the streaming Netflix site as well. So far, I've caught all of 'Louie' (originally on FX) and saw a really good, but very, very sad documentary named 'Dear Zachary'. Now, I'm starting to make my way through 'Arrested Development', which I've never saw when it was on.

I also caught 'The Wild, Wonderful Whites of West Virginia' which, while amusing and sometimes a bit sad, lacked a bit in terms of being a really good documentary. If anything, it was lacking in terms of substance and seemed to exploit a little too much and inform too little.

Another somewhat good documentary was 'Knuckle' which is about two 'traveler' families in England that have feuded for years and settle their differences (not really) with bare knuckle fights out in the country. This, too, was a little light on shedding light on the subject at hand and, perhaps, a little too heavy with the fighting itself, but I enjoyed it.

neighbor664

I've been making my way through Season 3 and 4 of Battlestar Galactica (re-imagined) on Netflix. I somehow didn't give a frak about it when it was first on, but now I'm hooked.
-Caprica
-The entire "Classic Albums" series is great.
-Tom Dowd and the Language of Music
-Music Instinct: Science and Song
-Lilyhammer
-Shameless (UK version)
-Silk
-Luther
-Earth 2
-Damages
-A shit ton of whole seasons of short lived tv shows. Ones I either didn't care for when they were out, never knew of, or they're British.
-God Bless America

Soundgardenia

GS, I'm going to check those out! Might have to take a raincheck on the depressing one for now... I'm in desperate need of uplifting stuff right now :)
I'm also going to start watching Arrested Development, I have plenty of time to catch up before the new season starts!

Neighbor664, a good short lived brit show that i've seen recently was Sherlock (might or might not have Holmes in the title)!

The Shocker

Quote from: GodShifter on August 09, 2012, 12:11:33 AM
I've watched some good stuff on the streaming Netflix site as well. So far, I've caught all of 'Louie' (originally on FX) and saw a really good, but very, very sad documentary named 'Dear Zachary'. Now, I'm starting to make my way through 'Arrested Development', which I've never saw when it was on.

I also caught 'The Wild, Wonderful Whites of West Virginia' which, while amusing and sometimes a bit sad, lacked a bit in terms of being a really good documentary. If anything, it was lacking in terms of substance and seemed to exploit a little too much and inform too little.

Another somewhat good documentary was 'Knuckle' which is about two 'traveler' families in England that have feuded for years and settle their differences (not really) with bare knuckle fights out in the country. This, too, was a little light on shedding light on the subject at hand and, perhaps, a little too heavy with the fighting itself, but I enjoyed it.

Ugh, Dear Zachary was beyond depressing.  So many different things wrong happened in that one.  One of those make you hate humanity documentaries.

DustinAR

Quote from: blackkrosses on August 08, 2012, 06:28:52 PM
Just watched "You're Ganna Miss Me" a documentary about Roky Erickson, lead singer of The Thirteenth Floor Elevators/Roky Erickson and the Aliens. I enjoyed it mucho.

Great doc. That scene where he plays guitar and sings for his therapist was pretty damn awesome.

sleestak

Quote from: DustinAR on August 10, 2012, 05:35:06 PM

Great doc. That scene where he plays guitar and sings for his therapist was pretty damn awesome.

That scene makes the whole movie turn happy to me.
Killing threads is my business and business is good.

DustinAR

I started watching The Increasingly Poor Decisions of Todd Margaret on Netflix. Its pretty funny, if only a little too absurd at times for me.

Worthless Willie

Tom Waits - Big Time

The shit in between the songs is weird and silly, but, man, the songs are so fucking good.
What happens between me and Steve Vegas and him and my wife and me and his goat is our own goddam business. Butt the fuck out. - Jeff Smith

whoshotthefrog

Quote from: DustinAR on August 11, 2012, 02:48:47 PM
I started watching The Increasingly Poor Decisions of Todd Margaret on Netflix. Its pretty funny, if only a little too absurd at times for me.

I love that show. I hope its picked up for a 3rd season.
If I had a dollar for every girl that found me unattractive they would eventually find me attractive.

http://whoshotthefrog.tumblr.com/

http://www.instagram.com/whoshotthefrog/

blackkrosses

Quote from: DustinAR on August 10, 2012, 05:35:06 PM

Yeah, definitely a happy ending to a doc with bummer parts. Also, I was ignorant to The Aliens band and am flabbergasted as to how they slipped under my radar. Prolly that stupid birth date of mine. Either way, great rock and roll band. Dude's voice is legendary.

I just watched The Hunter and Anti-Christ recently on Netflix. A Willem two-fer. The Hunter is a bummer but interesting with a not unimpressive computer generated Thylacine. The other is one of the few horror/suspense movies I've that opens with full penetration within the first 15 seconds of the picture. Maybe I'm a pussy movie viewer. I did chuckle at the blood cum scene. I recall a similar scene in Nekromantik and wonder if the director is purposely going to for comedy because when I see blood shooting out of a penis I can't help but laugh.

Soundgardenia

Blood cum huh? I'm adding that to my queue :)

DustinAR

Quote from: whoshotthefrog on August 12, 2012, 11:47:05 AM
Quote from: DustinAR on August 11, 2012, 02:48:47 PM

I love that show. I hope its picked up for a 3rd season.

The first two or three episodes were pretty good, but the last three of the first season now have me hooked. So damn funny. I need to see the second season now somehow.

blackkrosses

Quote from: Soundgardenia on August 12, 2012, 10:11:09 PM
Blood cum huh? I'm adding that to my queue :)

Yes'm, the only two words I can say together that are guaranteed to get a woman to notice me.

Soundgardenia

Totally forgot about this doc: Following Sean

Got me all teary at some point heh

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/10006378/

blackkrosses

Just watched "God Bless America".
Dark comedy about a divorced man who hates American pop culture, is diagnosed with a brain tumor, and decides to go on a killing spree starting with a spoiled brat he saw on My Sweet Sixteen. I teenage girl joins him and they rampage the country side killing reality tv stars, conservative talk show hosts, and anyone else they decide deserves to die. Written and directed by Bobcat Goldthwait.

Soundgardenia

That's a pretty awesome flick

DustinAR

Bobcat has some pent up agression. That being said, i'll prob check that out. I liked "World's Greatest Dad."

whoshotthefrog

Quote from: blackkrosses on August 14, 2012, 09:26:50 AM
Just watched "God Bless America".
Dark comedy about a divorced man who hates American pop culture, is diagnosed with a brain tumor, and decides to go on a killing spree starting with a spoiled brat he saw on My Sweet Sixteen. I teenage girl joins him and they rampage the country side killing reality tv stars, conservative talk show hosts, and anyone else they decide deserves to die. Written and directed by Bobcat Goldthwait.

His speech at the end of the film before he shot up the audience was great.
If I had a dollar for every girl that found me unattractive they would eventually find me attractive.

http://whoshotthefrog.tumblr.com/

http://www.instagram.com/whoshotthefrog/