Netflix

Started by Soundgardenia, August 07, 2012, 01:53:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Soundgardenia

just came to the laptop (no pun intended) to applaud you GS.
I could play Stairway to Heaven when I was twelve... Jimmy Page didn't actually write it until he was twenty-two... I think that says quite a lot..

GodShifter

Narco Pollo

I don't know if this has been discussed before, but what does Netflix have against alphabetical order, or order in general?  Do some people prefer their movie browsing to be the last 6 movies you watched stacked on a meaningless random pile?
Drug Chicken

Lumpy

I wonder how many people here have cancelled their Netflix? I'm thinking about canceling mine. DVDs will sit there gathering dust for months.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

Demon Lung

I canceled mine when they raised the price. I'd rather go to redbox

The Shocker

Redbox don't carry what I like to watch.

Narco Pollo

Quote from: Lumpy on April 03, 2013, 06:57:00 PM
I wonder how many people here have cancelled their Netflix? I'm thinking about canceling mine. DVDs will sit there gathering dust for months.
Drug Chicken

GodShifter

I find it to be pretty lame, honestly. The streaming aspect has so few movies I want to watch and ordering through the mail is, sorry, kind of a hassle and, yep, I never get around to watching them, either.

The Bandit

Lots of kids shows on streaming, invaluable for this parent.

strangelight

yeah, i like to stream tv shows that i'm way behind on. and i'm keeping it for the reboot of arrested development that will be on netflix only. i don't have cable and i don't bother with the DVD rentals, though. shrug.

neighbor664

Quote from: GodShifter on April 03, 2013, 09:24:01 PM
I find it to be pretty lame, honestly. The streaming aspect has so few movies I want to watch and ordering through the mail is, sorry, kind of a hassle and, yep, I never get around to watching them, either.
You're doing it wrong! :-)
Streaming is invaluable for watching season after season of TV series .
There plenty of good older films but this is its strength.

Soundgardenia

For older films you should also check out Hulu, for $7 a month you have access to the whole criterion collection.
I could play Stairway to Heaven when I was twelve... Jimmy Page didn't actually write it until he was twenty-two... I think that says quite a lot..

MadJohnShaft

I use the Netflix Streaming all the time but never watch the single DVD.   

Stupid Comcast finally made it easier to OnDemand most TV shows but they are always a few weeks back from current episodes.

Amazon has a streaming service too, I wish they would add an icon to Apple TV for it, I forget I can watch Amazon vids and stream to TV.

Some days chickens, some days feathers

I,Galactus

"Why don't you take a flying fuck at a rolling doughnut? Why don't you take a flying fuck at the mooooooooooooon?"

Narco Pollo

Quote from: neighbor664 on April 04, 2013, 01:46:43 PM
Quote from: GodShifter on April 03, 2013, 09:24:01 PM
You're doing it wrong! :-)
Streaming is invaluable for watching season after season of TV series .
There plenty of good older films but this is its strength.

Yeah, but that' s the problem.  Their "strength" is available for free all over the place.  I don't understand why more movies aren't instant play (well... lawyers), but yeah, physical disks, even blue ray are the Compound Disks of today.

I don't want to have to touch stuff to look at stuff.
Drug Chicken

Lumpy

One problem with streaming though --- the resolution is not high. The images look chunky, I guess because they compress the films in order to stream them with no hiccups.

If it's supposed to be an especailly beautiful movie, or with amazing effects, I would rather watch a disc instead of streaming.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

peoplething

My wife has gotten a ton of use out of the series library on netflix, it's easier for her to maneuver than the web, plus the lousy 'free stream' resolution. She's been a member of netflix for years, and still get's DVD's; usually the stuff not available on streaming.

My biggest gripe with all of subscription streaming is I can't get 3-D movies outside of a handful of kid flicks. I have a schwanky 3-D TV and haven't used that option once. Last June, Netflix, vudu, cinemnow and the like all had films like Clash of the Titans in 3-D or whatever.

But not now - Hollywood and it's lawyers need to squeeze every last cent out of Blue Ray players.

*shakes fist*
"Shut the fuck up." - socket, Administrator

Demon Lung

Actually 3-d didn't take off like they had hoped. They put more $$ into what people buy. Most people I know hate 3-d with a passion. It hurts their eyes as they always complain about it. Even the kids. You are just going to have to live with the fact that you got duped into buying a television that you can't take fully advantage of.

peoplething

It was a gift.

And thank you very much for your accurate and detailed synopsis on film making technology and consumers reaction to it, mr. film industry insider tech spokesperson.

::)
"Shut the fuck up." - socket, Administrator

Demon Lung

Quote from: peoplething on April 12, 2013, 08:52:07 AM
It was a gift.

And thank you very much for your accurate and detailed synopsis on film making technology and consumers reaction to it, mr. film industry insider tech spokesperson.

::)
no reason to hate man. I'm not hating on you.

I,Galactus

"Why don't you take a flying fuck at a rolling doughnut? Why don't you take a flying fuck at the mooooooooooooon?"

lowdaddy

jon eats a whole raw potato to take himself out of the mood.

strangelight

it ain't easy being white
it ain't easy being brown
so much pressure to be bright
i got children all over town

:D :D :D

can't wait for this.

MadJohnShaft

Our newer Apple TV streams Netflix in 1080p and it looks perfect.

Our TV does 3D - we looked at it a few times then never again.  Mostly because you have to sit up and can't lie down with the glasses on - what good is that?
Some days chickens, some days feathers

bitter

Well this series premiere was definitely something. Acting wasn't great, story made no sense, but I couldn't stop watching. Just takes a few episodes to start making sense, but then gets wackier as the plot progresses.
Oh Andy I'm gonna go over to mount pilot and worship Satan