Tips! The thread.

Started by Pissy, March 23, 2021, 07:53:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RAGER

Quote from: James1214 on June 26, 2022, 08:20:35 PM
I love my Tramontina 10" nonstick. It's a killer price, performs well. It's my go to for the crispiest skin on fish filets, pan frying cheese burgers with cheese skirts and fried eggs. I normally use cabon steel pans for 90% of my cooking, but when nonstick is called for It is an awesome pan. I can't speak to it's longevity, but I've put it thru it's paces for the last 2.5 years and it is as good as the day I bought it.

https://a.co/d/8h0BveM

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Yo James. If you remember, I bought one of these pans at the end of last June. Look at it now. Thoughts? 

I only used wood or silicone. We use these natural sponges with walnut fiber for washing.

No Focus Pocus

Pissy

Bar keepers friend?   Is it Walnut husk fibers?  I don't think the natural world produces a harder material than walnut husk in a living growth fashion.  That shit is harder than the hubs of hell.
Vinyls.   deal.

RAGER

The walnut scrubber shouldn't scratch it I don't think.  I'm just not happy with rate of degradation.

Eh. I tried nonstick. There is the Vollrath pans that are supposedly superior and more money too. Or I'll just  with cast iron.
No Focus Pocus

James1214

Huh, mine still looks pretty dang good after like many years. Sorry my rec didnt pan out.

words

Muffin Man

I've always been scared of coated pans but I'll probably get a small one for fried cheese and whatnot. Used to have some glass pans but don't know where they went...weren't that great probably. Maybe ceramic next or whatever non-toxic they got now. Rally not into being a beta tester for new tech, give me the old. Steel pans are my gig now, and cast iron. No way to lose with those.

mortlock

copper bottom stainless and cast iron are all i use.

RAGER

I'll do a shaken omelette ala Julia tomorrow in my carbon steel and post  it.
No Focus Pocus

mortlock

alright. im looking forward to that.

Pissy

Quote from: mortlock on January 30, 2023, 09:30:45 PM
copper bottom stainless and cast iron are all i use.

Where do you find copper bottom stainless?   I have one legit copper bottom stainless pan and was convinced it was the only one in the known universe.  I've seen stainless bottom with a run of copper separating the two layers of stainless, of course Stainless clad, but I don't see a genuine copper clad pan very often.  Pic for relevance. 

Vinyls.   deal.

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

Pissy

With all the new concerns with gas appliances are you still thinking of making the switch?   What I've determined about the whole thing is that it's possible to get used to just about anything, and as long as you're comfortable with what you are using, doesn't seem to matter.  Not to me at least.  Buddy of mine actually made the switch to electric from gas because he couldn't get the heat low enough to not burn shit during a simmer.  He's not sorry. 
Vinyls.   deal.

RAGER

What was the gas concern again? 
No Focus Pocus

Pissy

California is looking to ban future sales of gas stoves or something.  Other places are popping up with concerns.  Citing pollution, particularly within the home, but also environmental in general. 

No concern about how electricity is generated to power those electric stoves, given that coal, natural gas, hydroelectric are all environmentally impactful.
Vinyls.   deal.

James1214

Just to speak about power sources/gas appliances etc  I personally see it as a way to reduce direct use of fossil fuels. When paired with whole home solar and battery backup it makes sense.

I had a client last week who needed their counters modified for a new induction stove. They are completely disconnected from gas, no meter even. And have enough solar and battery backup to not actually need the electric grid, and can survive for 6 days with little or no power generation (smoky skies from fire etc), the only reason they're connected is to sell power back to PG&E.

We've been looking into it for our place and that would really be the only feasible way for me to go gas free, given how exorbitant the rates are for electricity here. Even so I'd still likely keep the house propane for emergency backup heating and the generator.

words

Pissy

Here in TN, the power company stopped buying electricity from producing customers.  Leading the country in lack of progress. 
Vinyls.   deal.

Muffin Man

I still haven't got a microwave oven yet, guess I'll will, to save energy.

mortlock

i watched american hustle today for the first time. great movie. from now on out i will be referring to microwave ovens as science ovens.

Pissy

Vinyls.   deal.

Muffin Man

Quote from: RAGER on January 31, 2023, 12:50:06 PM
Shaken omelette

i have the same cooking surface, same exact pan. man that is high heat, just blistering! on the other hand i did a ny strip tonite, same smoke point butter brown cloud. came out good but chewy (choice cut $10.99lb warehouse store). i'll try a shaken omlet next.

RAGER

I don't think I've posted this. Maybe I have and forgot. Idk.

When we have "momma tacos" or "white people tacos" there are required ingredients like black olives, shredduce, sour cream etc....I refuse to use a taco seasoning. I make my own. But one of the things is store bought crunchy shells which I'm not a big fan of but not worth the battle. I'll die on another hill. Unless "they didn't have any at the store". Hee hee. Like yesterday wouldn't ya know it. In such case I get to bend my own taco shell.

Get your nice organic corn tortillas and heat them up a little in a pan with light amount of oil to get them pliable. Heat your oven up to about 250 or so and lay them over a couple grates so they droop down on either side shaping them into a U. Ya do this to order or they get too stiff. Pull them off and set them right side up and continue to heat making sure they don't close in on themselves or burn. 

Tacos! 

https://i.imgur.com/YmquERb.jpeg
No Focus Pocus

RAGER

First pic didn't show up.

No Focus Pocus

Pissy

That's a good idea.   We call them white trash tacos.
Vinyls.   deal.

RAGER

Totally. Kellie really likes the store bought but they're so flimsy and so narrow you can barely build one without it breaking.
No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

black olives belong nowhere near a taco, trash or not. I cannot believe I just read that. They will do absolutely zero other than being visible. zero flavor value added. I bought some Valentino brand chili seasoning in a shaker. Stay clear of it -  it is absolute gahbage.

I've been buying tostada shells at the grocery, crispy corn flat circles or maybe they're square. Good.stuff. The boats are killer too, love the taco boats - they sit mostly upright on their own. Good crunch! Just as soon have a tostada- ta-da! Tired of paying for broken taco shells. Pay for 10 get 7. What.a.scam. haha. I do my own oil (peanut) in pan premade (10 count zip pack, grocery aisle 1) soft corn tortilla hotten those up, puff those right up nice. Lovely. Will def be trying that fold-over trick!

ps. the pan shall be 100% steel and not of the cast iron. Lovely.

Muffin Man

It has come to my attention that black olives can go on a taco salad, preferably in an edible bowl, with side portion cups of sauces. Of course, the pickled jalapeno and, carrots. And whatnot. Therefor, a blanket waiver has been granted.