BBQ!

Started by Sally, August 03, 2012, 08:56:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pissy

So I've found an opportunity in the Weber Smoky Mountain field. 

Rotisseries.  Nobody makes a genuine rotisserie for the WSM in any size.  They make them for the kettle grill, but not the smoker.  The kettle grill one can work, but the lid for it is different and requires aluminum foil.  The ones I've seen for the kettle that aren't Weber branded, use an off the shelf motor.  It's the ring design that isn't refined. 

I've been looking for a turkey cooking alternative for thanksgiving, since I determined the white knuckle affair that is deep frying a thanksgiving turkey  is insanely overrated, expensive, messy, weather dependent and dangerous if the weather doesn't cooperate.  Actually dangerous in general. 

The rotisserie kits I've found aren't impressive.  The Weber one is expensive, which isn't a deal breaker, but the motor is weeny, and there's only two tines on the spit forks.  I've had some experience with this and when the bird gets tender, it tends to loosen and flop as it turns.  It sucks. 

The aftermarket ones are mostly cheap chinese crap, but do have 4 tine spits. The rings don't exactly fit well.  To get what I'm after it appears that I have to piece it all together.  Bullshit. 
Vinyls.   deal.

RAGER

Is it necessary to rotate while smoking?  Is that the point? Cuz if it's not and you just want one to fit then wouldn't have to crouch down to tend to it?  That's prolly why there isn't one and just for the kettle. It's meant for high heat open spit cooking.

/#devilsadvocate
No Focus Pocus

Pissy

Yeah you're probably right.  Not much reason to rotate in a full on indirect situation.

Maybe instead I should be thinking about whether I want to cook it rotating on the grill, or spatched on the smoker. 
Vinyls.   deal.

RAGER

Not saying you couldn't build a really nice one for yourself with a decent motor. Variable speed maybe.

Yeah I see people using steel wire to hold a roast or whole birds  on those dual tine jobs.
No Focus Pocus

longviewcaps

Miss the hell outta my olde Traegers "Lil Texas" smoker. The pellet driven smokers get you a killer outcome without the dangers and hassles of a wood fired set-up. I had mine staged inside a green house (exhaust vented outside) 12 months a year for over 10 years without any worries. BBQ'd baby backs in November in Oreygun!! WIN/WIN.
Sansui Marantz Rotel Line Magnetic Oppo Yamaha Luxman Klipsch

mortlock

i cant do bbq sauce. dry rub only. shits to sweet and sticky. gross af.

longviewcaps

After dozens of failures with brisket "slow 'n low".....finally had success at higher temps (~350/375). And USE the "Texas Crutch." Brisket is too fucking expensive NOW to make cooking mistakes/less than perfect outcomes.

longviewcaps

And +1 vinegar North Carolina style with chopped/pulled pork. No slaw on mine. On the side? Sure. My step-Dad is from Raleigh and learned me good. There BBQ = Pork.

Pissy

Tomahawks!

Honestly I was a bit disappointed.  I smoked them to 125, soaked them in butter, seared them, rested them.

I loaded them with salt and pepper, but they ended up bland and a bit more medium than I wanted.  They were a gift from my boss for 20yr work anniversary.
They were from Henry and Davids (?) mail order outfit from Oregon. 

Vinyls.   deal.

RAGER

Harry & Davids.

I might have pulled them at 110-115 if you were going to additionally sear them.

/Thoughts
No Focus Pocus

Pissy

Agreed after the fact.
Vinyls.   deal.

RAGER

Sorry for being hindsight guy.
No Focus Pocus

Pissy

No.  It'll help the next time. 

Not that I'll be waiting impatiently to do flinstone steaks again.  It's pretty much for show, because nobody is eating a whole one and I don't have serving platters big enough to keep one whole for service. 

Vinyls.   deal.

Pissy

Pulled the trigger on a rotisserie for the grill, and a temp controller for the smoker. 
Vinyls.   deal.

Pissy

Rotisserie came in less than 24 hrs. 

Vinyls.   deal.

RAGER

Rad!  Hope it works good and I hope you're using it today. I'd like to see results.
No Focus Pocus

Pissy

Bachelor for the day, so not likely.  Also no bird to spit. Soon though.
Vinyls.   deal.

Pissy

Ok so I went and got a chicken.  Rubbed and injected it. 
Vinyls.   deal.

Pissy

Vinyls.   deal.

Pissy

About an hour and 20.  Not sure if 45 more min will be enough.  Hovering between 325 and 350.
Vinyls.   deal.

Muffin Man

Thrilling! I thought for sure the roto as shown would annihilate a bird - obviously not so at that temp. Looks to be a really nice start on dialing it in.

Pissy

The trick, if there is one, is to balance it so it isn't heavy on one side. It may mean rearranging the limbs of the bird somehow, or skewering something I'd prefer not to, like a breast.  But I was able to do it just be moving around the wings and roping it tight.  The 4 tines help immensely. 

Vinyls.   deal.

Pissy

The household id telling me this is the best chicken I've ever made.  Not sure what to think about that. 
Vinyls.   deal.

longviewcaps

Quote from: Pissy on July 24, 2022, 07:47:30 PM

The household id telling me this is the best chicken I've ever made.  Not sure what to think about that.
Nice! I want one now. Whole roasters are so easy on the wallet.
Not tryin' to be "Bossy bitch" but try Pork shanks next. Off-set either side of the femur bone to balance? Very Germanic. Very DOOOOOM!! Lols.

RAGER

That looks great dude. How long total cooking time? 
No Focus Pocus