BBQ!

Started by Sally, August 03, 2012, 08:56:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RAGER

Sounds good. Just don't eat it everyday.
No Focus Pocus

sleestak

You calling me fat?
Killing threads is my business and business is good.

Pissy

That was tallow not butter.  I initially thought it was mashed potatoes, then realized that was ridiculous. 

Or is it?

Vinyls.   deal.

RAGER

Mashed taters?!?  Holy shit I'd smash that.
No Focus Pocus

RAGER

So today I'm doing that cheap 4 pound chuck I bought a while back. Going for brisket style I hope.

Simple s&p rub with a touch of msg. I'll do my best to wrap it at 165°. Im having to fuss with it to keep the cherry smoke going. I might just smoke it for an hour and finish it in the oven so I can maintain a constant temp. We'll see. I'm just half assing it with the Weber kettle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No Focus Pocus

Pissy

Did you age that piece of meat?
Vinyls.   deal.

RAGER

No. It was discounted so....and then with the thawing time.
No Focus Pocus

longviewcaps

Throw the fat. Pour it back on. Indirect smoke, Hardwood heat, TIME & a Webber is all you really need for killin' results.
Sansui Marantz Rotel Line Magnetic Oppo Yamaha Luxman Klipsch

RAGER

Nice color now. Internal is still too low.

No Focus Pocus

RAGER

Turned out pretty tasty but I didn't really get the smoke ring or the desired color. Thinner parts dried out but the rest was super tender and juicy. Cooler wrapped for 2 hours.

Here's the unwrapping and slicing.

No Focus Pocus

Pissy

Looks like it was pretty great. 
Vinyls.   deal.

RAGER

I just realized Imgur cut the video. Hmm.

Try this.     https://i.imgur.com/5oDIf4f.mp4
No Focus Pocus

Pissy

Looks good.  Roasts in a smoker are good. 
Vinyls.   deal.

RAGER

I posted this yesterday in r/grilling subreddit and boy did it elicit some reactions out if people. Lol

No Focus Pocus

RAGER

Went over to wife's aunts and uncles Sunday night. He's pretty proud of his traeger skills and wanted to show us. He made some competition style ribs. Pretty good but I'd rather just have a dry rub. I brought over ham hock collards.

The style of beans he made I didn't much care for. Apple pie baked beans. Way too sweet. Ick. Might something you guys have heard of. First time for me. Lots leftover so they sent us home with a 32oz deli. Sorry. Right in the garbage. Lol.

Jiggly ham hock stock
No Focus Pocus

Pissy

Imma try to perfect dry ribs.   I have ideas. 

Doing my turkey on the rotisserie this year. 
Vinyls.   deal.

renfield

woke up extremely hung over yesterday and thought doing my first attempt at an all day slow-n-low bbq project sounded like a good idea  :o

lots of struggles throughout, but when we finally got to sample the result a lil after midnight, it was deemed a success.

RAGER

That looks yummy.
No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

hog heaven. I need an app like that! (and da skillz)

renfield

Quote from: Muffin Man on January 22, 2023, 09:30:57 PM

i recommend spending the extra on a proper wired probe, the bluetooth kept losing signal through the bbq lid. also you can stick multiple probes into it and get a "second opinion" on the internal temp. like what RAGER was using for his xmas prime rib

RAGER

Yeah. That thing was only $20. Worked great.
No Focus Pocus

Pissy

I just found one in the garage yesterday after going without due to leaving the last one out in the rain.  It was bluetooth, and that wasn't really useful to me.  The one I found yesterday is hardwired.  Much more practical.
Vinyls.   deal.

Muffin Man

Quote from: renfield on January 23, 2023, 12:46:58 PM
Quote from: Muffin Man on January 22, 2023, 09:30:57 PM

i recommend spending the extra on a proper wired probe, the bluetooth kept losing signal through the bbq lid. also you can stick multiple probes into it and get a "second opinion" on the internal temp. like what RAGER was using for his xmas prime rib

Thanks, I'll do that.

renfield

Since the pork butt, I have smoked a rack of ribs, a couple fillets of salmon, and sausages. I am getting pretty obsessed and considering going all in on this and getting a proper offset smoker, even though they are the most expensive options, will be more work than my weber kettle, and won't even necessarily yield better results until/unless I get good at it.

That goddam salmon was the best I've ever had

smoked salmon omelette:

RAGER

Yowza. Nice job dude. Looks text book.

No Focus Pocus