SunnO))) talk me out of getting this guitar!

Started by The Shocker, September 21, 2011, 11:14:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VOLVO)))

Quote from: Hemisaurus on September 21, 2011, 06:47:02 PM
Your quest for amps is misguided grasshopper, improving your cabs is what you should seek. ;)

I hate buying cabs unless they're crazy good deals. I'll build my own winners, some day.

175 dollar 370? Yes plx. Pics in a bit.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Hemisaurus

Name Tag crazy.

200W into 2 ohm, so 87.5c per watt

vs.

Peavey T-Max $200

500W into 2 ohm, so 40c per watt

vs.

Crown Power Amp $400

3000W into 4 ohm (bridged), so 13.3c per watt

the more drivers your cab has, the more power you generally need to drive it.

VOLVO)))

Whatchou ramblin' about? I like the Peavey poweramp I got for 80 bucks... just don't like any of the preampage as much as I thought I did. I don't need 3000W. not even close. Mind you, there are other members in my band... lol.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Hemisaurus

Oop, forgetting your 8x10 was 400W not 1600W or whatever the heck Ampeg's are rated at.

One day you'll be loud enough to stand on your own ;)

I was just meaning $175 isn't that great a deal for a solid state amp. If it was like a Crate or a Hartke, no-one would give a shit.  I still don't get why your not slaving out your Beta? I thought you wanted a Beta preamp anyway.

VOLVO)))

Id play a crate if it sounded like the 370. Shush up.

And... find me an ampeg fridge for 100 dollars. Thanks.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Hemisaurus

I've played a Crate, those G-130's sound good on bass, but if you hook them up to something bigger (a power amp) they sound pretty cheesy. I guess it's a case of power transistor distortion at work ;D

I need to get my old H&H running, had that thing for years, over here running it via a reverse wired variac as a step up transformer, got the manual to convert it to 110 and the fucker blew up, I think the fans didn't handle 110V well enough to cool the amplifier modules.

VOLVO)))

Wow. The guy I bought the 370 from was listening to Acid King. Destiny.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

grimniggzy

Quote from: SunnO))) on September 22, 2011, 09:47:26 AM
Wow. The guy I bought the 370 from was listening to Acid King. Destiny.

Haha, nice.
Wish I could have found a deal like that on a 370.
The Acid King is just a plus.

VOLVO)))

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Hemisaurus

Can you rewire the cab for a higher impedance? Being solid state it'll put less power into 16 ohm as it will 4 ohm, approx half.

Did he ever buy the guitar, anyways?

The Shocker

Still thinking about it.  Really need an amp more though and I need to sell some shit too.  Same as everybody else...

VOLVO)))

Quote from: Hemisaurus on September 22, 2011, 08:42:21 PM
Can you rewire the cab for a higher impedance? Being solid state it'll put less power into 16 ohm as it will 4 ohm, approx half.

Did he ever buy the guitar, anyways?

I'm not SURE it'll blow it, but it was sure actin' funny while it was scooting across the floor. That amp is way, way more than I expected. It made me nauseous when I was standing in front of it...

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Hemisaurus

Maybe mice have pee'd on the power supply?

I've worked on a few pieces of equipment with mouse signs, though thankfully no mouse damage.

VOLVO)))

I meant the low end gave me butterflies. It's a complete beast. I'm searching for a second one, now. I'm in love.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Metal and Beer

"Would it kill you fellas to play some Foghat?"

At_Giza

The Shocker

Round 2:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/180729347599?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

SunnO, what do you think of this one?  You like zero frets?  How much can you intonate it with that bridge?

VOLVO)))

Boy, they are expensive for nothing. Zero frets rule, the frets in that guitar eat dick, There is little or no intonation possibility. I always pass on these, cool or not...

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

The Shocker

Yeah, they look like that plexiglass one I sent you.  Thanks for the advice.