Main Menu

Gear Intervention

Started by clockwork green, December 18, 2011, 10:06:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Riffer

Quote from: bass sic on December 19, 2011, 09:21:25 AM
If you were big into hunting you would constantly be gassing for a new rifle or some other hunting gear. Into racing cars, you would be going thru torque converters and intake manifolds like changing diapers, trying to find the perfect setup. As far as "hobbies" go this is actually a fairly inexpensive addiction.
Truth. While I have alot tied up in musical gear, it's miniscule compared to what I have in motorcycles. Fuck,at aboot $500 a set of tires, 3-4 sets a year, broken parts, protective gear,gas/insurance...... afte that, a nice LP,USA P,  or nice amp seems like a reasonable investment.
BLACK ARTS TONEWORKS
Black Arts Instagram
Black Arts FB
New Horizons, Talkin' 'bout
a True, Defiant, Alliance

Jake

GAS is an affliction which tends to flare and subside. One potential problem is that the more advanced the case, the more the gear tends to cost at the later stages.
poop.

VOLVO)))

Quote from: deaner33 on December 19, 2011, 10:07:21 AM
Quote from: SunnO))) on December 19, 2011, 10:02:03 AM
I'm totally fucked in terms of compulsive buying, I'm a gun fanatic AND a gear fanatic, AND a survival fanatic, AND a video game fanatic, AND a vintage audio fanatic, etc.

I started dumpster diving to nick parts to fix shit I already have, you'd be amazing what motherfuckers throw out.

Vintage audio?  That's my other hobby bro!  I'll have to send you some pictures of what I've got.

Fuckin'! Sweet!
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Chovie D

Quote from: The Riffer on December 19, 2011, 10:21:04 AM
Quote from: bass sic on December 19, 2011, 09:21:25 AM
If you were big into hunting you would constantly be gassing for a new rifle or some other hunting gear. Into racing cars, you would be going thru torque converters and intake manifolds like changing diapers, trying to find the perfect setup. As far as "hobbies" go this is actually a fairly inexpensive addiction.
Truth. While I have alot tied up in musical gear, it's miniscule compared to what I have in motorcycles. Fuck,at aboot $500 a set of tires, 3-4 sets a year, broken parts, protective gear,gas/insurance...... afte that, a nice LP,USA P,  or nice amp seems like a reasonable investment.

this is what i was gonna say. just be gald you are not into harleys or small aircraft or boating or whatever, talk about money sinks.
*jutsifies his own considerable GAS

bass sic

I have quite a few expensive addictions, but the only one I'm still throwing cash at is music. If I was smart I'd sell off all the guns and 4x4 shit, but instead I'll keep all that and still spend on guitars/bass's. At least it ain't dope and whores anymore.

apekillman

I think there is definitely a correlation between the gear (be it guitars, bikes, hot rods, planes, etc...) one can purchase and the financial bracket one is in.   A guy that collects vintage sports cars is usually a wealthy man.  A guy that has a bunch of hooptie muscle cars rusted out in the yard, isn't making much dollars, but wants cars.  I went through the gear buying stage myself.  I currently own 5 complete drum sets (only two complete hardware and cymbal sets), 7 guitar amps, 12 various guitar cabs, various pedals (including 5 d.a.m. Meatheads), 3 guitars and tons of other shit.  However, I bought all that stuff mostly prior to my son being born.  Now, I can't click on Craigslist and buy some cabinet just cuz I want it.   If you have the means, the urge will be scratched.

cat shepard

Just don't have the dough, but I got some gear over the years.

Instant Dan

The problem is spreading my money out evenly. :D

bass sic

Damn ape, that's alot of gear. You drum AND play guitar?

apekillman

I drum in bands.  I wouldn't say I can "play" guitar.  I fuck around.  Write riffs.  I bought most of the guitar stuff, cuz the other guys are / were broke.  And I was serious about doing the band.   I most certainly wasn't trying to brag, just painting the picture.   For awhile I got bit with the sunn amp bug.  I still peruse the ebays and craigslists just in case I could score the missing piece that will complete the collection.

chille01

I've stopped looking at Craigslist.  It's like a recovering alcoholic who can't go into a bar.  If I go in, I'll buy.  And right now, I'm saving for a vacation, and don't really need anything besides.