Gear Intervention

Started by clockwork green, December 18, 2011, 10:06:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clockwork green

Too many pedals lately...in the last two weeks I've bought:
-Eventide Space
-Strymon Timeline
-E-H Pog2 (I still own an original POG)
-D*A*M Meathead (still own a Meathead Deluxe)

I go through periods where I don't buy much and other bursts of buying a whole hell of a lot and usually not cheap shit.  Now I'm looking at an RJM rack/midi control unit so I can put all of my pedals in a rack unit and turn them on and off via a midi controller...mainly so I can turn multiple pedals on and off with one switch as well as change the preset on my midi pedals (Space and Timeline) as well.  Then I found myself emailing Jame Trussart about making a Flying V which he's already planning not to mention that I'm up for another Toneczar Openhaus in January and my Electrical Guitar Company V should be done in February and I'm having a new nut and fret leveling done on another guitar right now.  My 20 year old Honda Accord is a comedy of errors, aside from the engine, nearly nothing works and yet I haven't put a dime in that thing in years...hell, it's 2 months overdue for an oil change. 
"there's too many blanks in your analogies"

Hemisaurus

So you post this in the hopes one of us come round and smack you upside the head?

hashbrowns

Damn dude I feel like such a simpleton compared to all you guys here  :D. I use a peavey halfstack with a big muff and thats it haha. As for guitars I use a v-100 cheapie ltd/esp and an epiphone sg. You guys have more money invested in just your pedalboard then I've collectively spent on gear period throughout my entire life.
I am not going to lose another fucking child and another fucking woman, because of cocaine and killing dogs!!! - Ricky

Lumpy

If it fuels your desire to keep playing, it's money well spent.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

Hemisaurus

3 Cures for GAS

• Play More Shows
  • Run out of Money
  • Grow Up

VOLVO)))

YOU NEED TO EXERCISE SOME SELF CONTROL THERE, GREENIE.

-plays his awesome new Guild S100 whilst looking at stack of bills dude at the end of the month.-
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

dunwichamps

Quote from: Hemisaurus on December 18, 2011, 10:24:00 PM
3 Cures for GAS

• Play More Shows
  • Run out of Money
  • Grow Up

Nah, just kill yourself or impregnant someone so you have lots of bills

Hemisaurus

Quote from: dunwichamps on December 18, 2011, 10:31:31 PM
3 Cures for GAS

• Play More Shows
  • Run out of Money
  • Grow Up

I think that could be filed under growing up. You either do it voluntarily or have it forced on you, you're going the forcible way, which generally involves Betty-Sue, her dad, a shotgun and the local JP

dunwichamps

Quote from: Hemisaurus on December 18, 2011, 10:33:42 PM
Quote from: dunwichamps on December 18, 2011, 10:31:31 PM
3 Cures for GAS

• Play More Shows
  • Run out of Money
  • Grow Up

I think that could be filed under growing up. You either do it voluntarily or have it forced on you, you're going the forcible way, which generally involves Betty-Sue, her dad, a shotgun and the local JP

I guess growing up is a broad category. I still GAS all day long but I think thats just a part of the human condition

grimniggzy

I know man, tell me about it. I finally broke down and bought a voodoo pedal power.
;D

Hemisaurus

Naw, you can grow out of it, I did, didn't force myself or anything, it just sort of happened. Now I can look at MF and ZZounds catalogs without the slightest twinge. There's still a few pieces of gear I wouldn't mind having, but I don't really care either way about it. It allows me to exert great smugness on those still afflicted ;)

VOLVO)))

I just wish I could sell more shit.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

I,Galactus

That was a pretty sweet vid... Playing strings makes purdy ladies that much purdier.   :)

Also, I'll take that Timeline off ya hands... FUH FREE.
"Why don't you take a flying fuck at a rolling doughnut? Why don't you take a flying fuck at the mooooooooooooon?"

clockwork green

3 Cures for GAS

• Play More Shows
  • Run out of Money
  • Grow Up
What does playing more shows have to do with anything? I'm also not too keen on the growing up thing...seems like you're just starting shit.
I'm not really askin for help or advice, just commenting on how the gear bug bites me every now and again and if others can relate then fine. I was talking to another musician I know about how I figured I was pretty much done with pedals a few years ago but in the last year and a half or so I've been buying them like crazy. The Electrical is the first guitar I've bought in a year and the last one before that was probably three years ago...I've even donated two in the last year. A lot of the gear splurging is related to starting more projects and being more active.

Hemisaurus

Sorry, I thought the intervention was because you wanted help.

I've noticed that bands that play a shit-ton of shows are generally happier with their gear, the less people play out, the more they seem to want to mess about with their gear, like it's a substitute for playing shows.

Growing up was a blanket term, for, maybe you'll get to the point where you're gear doesn't seem as important as just playing, to maybe you'll be a baby daddy and need to spend your money on other things. 

dunwichamps

Quote from: Hemisaurus on December 18, 2011, 10:38:26 PM
Naw, you can grow out of it, I did, didn't force myself or anything, it just sort of happened. Now I can look at MF and ZZounds catalogs without the slightest twinge. There's still a few pieces of gear I wouldn't mind having, but I don't really care either way about it. It allows me to exert great smugness on those still afflicted ;)

i guess i have builders GAS, its like *thinks up neat amp idea* "I should build this* GASSSSS build

clockwork green

I just wanted an excuse to play the Intervention theme song.  Gear is never as important as songwriting but a new piece of gear can and often does inspire me to write something new. 

I have no kids and never intend on having kids...37 years so far so good.  I don't see that as growing up, it's just another responsibility, you don't necessarily have to grow up to do it and even then I'm not sure what growing up would actually look like.

I've known and have seen a few bands that have kept at it over pretty long sample periods and some of them rarely if ever change their gear and some of them change everything every six months, some are in popular bands, some just jam at home...doesn't seem to be a pattern than I can pick up on. 

VOLVO)))

I don't consider it changing, I consider it "upgrading."

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

clockwork green

I also like the hunt of new gear...maybe I just like fixing problems that doesn't actually exist.

hashbrowns

Yeah I'd be the kind of dude who buys gear constantly if I had that option but I'm a broke ass college student who's unemployed haha. The few times I have bought gear I played a LOT more that month so I think that buying lots of gear is positive for sure. Only thing I don't understand is people that are play at home kind of dudes and still have gas. I mean if I'm just jamming at home alone I hardly ever even plug in to my amp honestly. I worry about tone only when I'm in the room with my band.
I am not going to lose another fucking child and another fucking woman, because of cocaine and killing dogs!!! - Ricky

The Shocker

I bought 3 fuzzes and a guitar this month.  I have self-control issues.  Good thing my wife makes a ton of money.

bass sic

If you were big into hunting you would constantly be gassing for a new rifle or some other hunting gear. Into racing cars, you would be going thru torque converters and intake manifolds like changing diapers, trying to find the perfect setup. As far as "hobbies" go this is actually a fairly inexpensive addiction.

justinhedrick

Quote from: SunnO))) on December 18, 2011, 11:58:06 PM
I don't consider it changing, I consider it "upgrading."

i agree with this.

but at the same time, i'm like hemi: crank your gear up, twist some knobs, and use it. once you know what it can really do (or not do) then you can make a decision.

VOLVO)))

I'm totally fucked in terms of compulsive buying, I'm a gun fanatic AND a gear fanatic, AND a survival fanatic, AND a video game fanatic, AND a vintage audio fanatic, etc.

I started dumpster diving to nick parts to fix shit I already have, you'd be amazing what motherfuckers throw out.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

The Shocker

Quote from: SunnO))) on December 19, 2011, 10:02:03 AM
I'm totally fucked in terms of compulsive buying, I'm a gun fanatic AND a gear fanatic, AND a survival fanatic, AND a video game fanatic, AND a vintage audio fanatic, etc.

I started dumpster diving to nick parts to fix shit I already have, you'd be amazing what motherfuckers throw out.

Vintage audio?  That's my other hobby bro!  I'll have to send you some pictures of what I've got.