Started by Lumpy, October 11, 2012, 01:47:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VOLVO)))

"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

rayinreverse

boy those two are almost unwatchable.

Lumpy

26 minute video, anybody want to give a summary? I'll probably watch that later.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

rayinreverse

they go through and play through a whole bunch of the pedals, and make attempts at humor.

they dont play through each very long, but they demonstrate some usable sounds.

Jake

I actually like those guys' demos. Seems like they have fun doing them. Plus, that Chappers dude is a good player - and often very tasteful. Two qualities not often seen together on these types of videos.
poop.

bitter

Quote from: Lumpy on October 26, 2012, 04:39:58 PM
26 minute video, anybody want to give a summary? I'll probably watch that later.

Chappers is getting fatter by the year.
Oh Andy I'm gonna go over to mount pilot and worship Satan

The Bandit

Here's a review of one of them:

Mooer
Mooer is a Chinese company making a wide-range of product from musical instruments to audio equipment. They have a bunch of products that are inspired by existing stuff, we are looking at their Micro Series of pedals. Several of these pedals are based on well-known pedals but now available in small packages and in some cases with Mooer's own little twist.

Cruncher
As some of the other Mooer pedals, this one is also based on a well-known 'box'. Most of the Micro series pedals share the same control set: 1 big dial and 2 smaller controls. The big dial on the Cruncher sets the gain, the 2 small dials are for volume and tone. The pedal is true bypass and has a 9v DC input. It's straightforward, less is more, right?

The pedal in use
I did own the original version of this pedal at some point and had mixed feelings about it. I never got it to sound exactly right. The weirdest thing is that I loved it at home but did not like it in a band situation. I could be in for a disappointment if this is a straight up copy.

From the original, I remembered that it sounded really good with a LP so I plugged in mine and started jamming. As with the other drive pedals in the series, the level control behaves a bit different, don't be afraid to turn it up! This pedal is supposed to give you a classic, big crunch sound. With the gain at noon, it has some serious punch!! I had the tone control just above noon and this rocked hard. It's hard to believe how such a big sound can come from such a small package. I dialed up some different tones and unless I went for extreme settings, I couldn't find a bad one! So as a final test, I plugged in my tele. I dialed the tone back a couple of notches and the sound was really happening.

Obviously, the real test for me would be in a band situation and I took the Cruncher with me to rehearsal. And I'm very happy to report that the Cruncher sounded really well. I'm not sure if this is a copy of one of the newer versions, or if it just isn't a straight up copy but the Cruncher sounded better than the original I had. The low end was tight and it just rocked, put a TS in front and there's your big lead tone!!

The Mooer Cruncher packs some serious punch in a small package. It's one of those pedals that you should buy to throw in your gigbag because someday, it might save your ass at a gig. I had a lot of fun testing it and surprisingly, liked it better than the original I once owned.

More info at http://www.effectsdatabase.com/model/mooer/micro/mds3#ixzz2AoD68IGW

RacerX

How many times has a pedal "saved your ass at a gig"? For me, that'd be zero times.
Livin' The Life.

rayinreverse

maybe he meant as a tiny and easy to carry back up or whatever.

Lumpy

Pedals came today, out of the blue (no tracking number). Took about 3 weeks?

Quick review (but with electronics, not guitar... "good tone" isn't being reviewed)

Pitch Shifter - all three modes seem potentially useful (harmony, pitch shift, detune)
Tremelo - not a hard chopper like I hoped. Has significant volume drop (do all trems do this?) :(
Reecho (aka Re Echo) -- I like it. Can self-oscillate with feedback all the way up. Can't hear the difference between modes (tape, analog, 'real echo') with my instruments. Need a guitar test
Reverb - didn't try yet.
Pure Boost - didn't try yet.

rayinreverse

I got mine today.
The shimverb is pretty cool. The spring is okay,the room is nice. The shimmer makes it hard to go pink Floyd. There are definitely better reverbs to be had.
The pitch shifted is pretty much unbearable for the price I paid. Even at 88 dollars its a deal.
The fuzz is actually nice. It's super zippery.

rayinreverse

Quote from: rayinreverse on November 09, 2012, 09:58:08 PM
I got mine today.
The shimverb is pretty cool. The spring is okay,the room is nice. The shimmer makes it hard to not play pink Floyd. There are definitely better reverbs to be had.
The pitch shifted is pretty much unbearable for the price I paid. Even at 88 dollars its a deal.
The fuzz is actually nice. It's super zippery.

VOLVO)))

"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

rayinreverse

I hate typing on a phone. Unbeatable

The Bandit

Lumpy

Hey, there's a tuner. That seems new...

everdrone

I gotta save up a few years but would love a micro setup

mini wah japanese g
mini tuner tc electronics
mooer fuzz and rat or OD
TC ditto
maybe a delay if it fits!  micro everything, put it in this guitar case setup with a battery sanyo for power:

TGP has a thread on this shizzle

Muffin Man

got their pitch pedal and the tape delay. Cute, will plug in next week or asap. I doubt the delay will much but hope for the pitch. $65-85 pedals? Would love to make a board with these. Or no pedals at all. 50/50
edit; you got these for $45+??? A bragain? Are they holding up? I mean, for a pedal.

eoin_not_ian

I have the Bass Fog. A bit fiddly for live use (small knobs, no identifiable markers for settings) but it is quite a lot of fun at home and rehearsal.

FullCustom

Quote from: The Bandit on July 09, 2013, 12:02:58 PM
Now there are copies of the copies...

http://www.donnerdeal.com/brand/eno-pedal.html
If boutique pedal builders in the USA can make copies of copies why can't the Chinese?

The Bandit

Quote from: FullCustom on July 12, 2013, 01:30:53 PM
Quote from: The Bandit on July 09, 2013, 12:02:58 PM
Now there are copies of the copies...

http://www.donnerdeal.com/brand/eno-pedal.html
If boutique pedal builders in the USA can make copies of copies why can't the Chinese?

Oh, I have no problem with it.

FullCustom

I didn't think that you did, I was just being snarky. Sometimes Chinese stuff is contract build, so they could be the same maker.

Lumpy

Quote from: Muffin Man on July 10, 2013, 04:55:37 AM
edit; you got these for $45+??? A bragain? Are they holding up? I mean, for a pedal.

My friend said the knob (the pot) broke on his Reecho Delay (he carries his pedal board in a soft case, brings it on the subway/to bars/everywhere, so who knows...)

omie

I picked up a reecho, green mile and pure boost on trade. All three work well enough on bass(no significant bass loss) but I'll only keep the green mile as a dark OD to drive one of my mid-scooped fuzzes in a loop.

Pure boost(RC Booster) is very transparent adding a nice range of gain with great eq controls. The reecho is as useful as any cheap delay ever was on bass and its a hell of a lot better than the joyo mxr carbon copy clone I had once.  Greenmile(tube screamer) has a very small gain range on bass and only seems useful set on 'high', verrry dark but that's been my exp with TS clones. Overall, construction quality feels tiptop , size is nice on a tight pedal board.

Oh yeah, may have a trade in the works, reecho for a Mooer bass sweeper(bassballs clone). I'll review it if it comes to me.
... real talk

omie

Got the Bass Sweeper the other day.

Bassballs clone.

It is of course tiny. Internal trims on the bass balls are located externally on the mooer(Range / Resonance) which is nice for tweakability. The BB 'distortion' switch is called 'Fuzz' on the Bass Sweeper and is similar.  The pedal is not as wet and has a thinner effect(hard to explain) and doesn't react to fuzz and distortion as wildly as the buzz balls can... Doesn't 'PING' as hard as the bassballs (which I try to dial out anyways) and is generally... milder and not as funky. Pedal has a very small range of what I like to call 'Bubble' if you're not pushing it with fuzz/distortion.

Better than the clips I've heard of the BB Nano, not as good as my Rocktron HeartAttack BB clone(but easier to tweak) and not as good as the regular BB..  Excellent build quality, 9v Adapter ONLY, Itty bitty  with the trimpots on the OUTSIDE and it does what it does well enough.

The only reason to get this over a regular (cheaper) Bassballs is because it's a space saver... oh.. and because of the external Res/Range controls.
... real talk