Hulu "original" series?

Started by bitter, December 01, 2013, 11:38:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bitter

I took a hiatus from HULU some months back when they —along with netflix— kind of dried up on content. Recently, it seems like they are trying to create some "original" content. I'm wondering if anyone else has explored some of these offerings and if there's anything worthwhile available? I know they had some success in bringing the UK show Misfits over, but that tanked for me when the entire cast began to bail/be replaced. Thus far, this is what I've been watching.

Quickdraw

This was touted as being Reno 911 in the old West. Only made it a few episodes before abandoning due to lack the funnies. 2 thumbs down.

The Strange Calls

I will start by saying this Australian show has something going for it, but really seemed like they took it in a poor direction. It's about a young policeman that is sent to a country town that experiences all manners of odd occurrences at night. The characters are pretty great and the old guy is funny, but the direction of the show is poor. I'm not sure if there are more seasons coming down the pipeline, but 6 episodes kind of abruptly ended the first season. Still, I'd like to see more with the hope they could establish a groove. 7.5/10

Pramface

Now this UK series has me hooked. It's about a girl who is transitioning off to college and hooks up with a high school boy whilst drunk at a party. She subsequently ends up pregnant and the two find themselves struggling with the decisions to terminate the pregnancy or to have the child and all of responsibility that comes with it. The show is filled with great characters, including the funny Ben Crompton who plays a night's watchman on Game of Thrones. The subject matter normally wouldn't be of interest to me, but the show is well done and quite enjoyable 9/10.

Oh Andy I'm gonna go over to mount pilot and worship Satan

VOLVO)))

I've been watching Doc Martin.

On Netflix.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

bitter

I've seen bits and pieces on PBS. Might be good to start from the beginning.

juan11

Quickdraw can eat 10 dicks with their fake Jason Bateman.

So far, Netflix does the original series better.

There's some stuff on Crackle too...
srl = advancing our core selves in the spirit to be best

bitter

You nailed it! The jokes were so bad, I thought Bolt wrote 'em.

Never heard of Crackle. Will spend some time poking around their originals. I like how there's a show called The Ropes starring Erin Cummings.  :D

THE ROPES is an inside look into the explosive world of nightclub security. Did Shaft write that synopsis?  :D

I'll probably watch that later.